Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Guitar Amp

PRS MAN

I am at a new guitar amp, i would like a stack but i am not really fimiliar with good amps, what is some recomendations, i have a Paul Reed Smith SE EG, a Line 6 Floor POD Plus, and a Line 6 uber metal, and buying a ebow and a dime cry baby from hell, i want a good amp or cab and cab head. I play metal, rock, worship and old school metal and rock

thanks

Carl-David

_____DISCIPLE_ROCKS_____

PAUL REED SMITH GUITARS 4 EVER

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm gonna say, if it's within your budget... the Line 6 Spider Valve, either the 212 combo or the head and cab. That aughtta be a good fit and cover your various needs very nicely.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

if you play old school like maiden,ozzy etc. try the bugera 1990 head (120 watts dual reverb valve) and the 4x12 cab bugera and you will pay under 1000$ for all the kit. it a copy of the JCM 900 from Marshall. me i got this kit and sound like hell. and forget the bab thing the people said about this brand. because those people are jalous because they pay over 2000$ or 3000$ for the original kit.look at this video link. this a sound test from TTK

just go in a music store and try you will love it and if you want to see what it look, just look at my post

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2099897/my_new_toy#Post2099897

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

I'm gonna say, if it's within your budget... the Line 6 Spider Valve, either the 212 combo or the head and cab. That oughtta be a good fit and cover your various needs very nicely.

+1. Much more versatile amp than most, and a great price. Plus, the tube section is mighty sweet. Great sounds...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

You'll probably want to go with a closed-back cab, and most likely a 2x12 or a 4x12, considering the sounds and styles you're into.

Now, if it's a tube-amp (not Solid-State, or SS) you're talking about, consider whether or not you really need 100 watts (or 120 watts, etc.); a 100 watt tube-amp is LOUD, very loud, and usually has to be turned up very loud to get a very good sound out of it. When they're played at low volumes, many tube-amps just don't sound or feel as good.

A 100 watt tube-amp is only going to be about 6 decibels louder than a 50 watt tube-amp of the same kind; unless you're playing big places and huge outdoor shows, a 30, 40, 50 or 60 watt tube-amp will almost certainly do better for you than a 100 watter.

Hell, I've got a 7 watt tube-amp that, with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab and a distortion-pedal in front of it, can hang with bass and drums...

Actual tube amp, solid state amp, tube amp emulation, open back cab, closed back cab, some hybrid in between? How many watts? And what about those Mesas and other amps of that design?

If you do a web search you'll find that sound is measured by Sound Pressure Level, not watts. Watts is like gallons of gas....a bus uses quite a few more gallons to go from here to Cleveland than a Honda Civic.

And another web search will show you the actual minuscule differences in Sound Pressure Level (SPL) among different wattages.

And you do not need to play at volumes loud enough to rattle the plaster off the walls to 'get your sound'. In fact, most venues discourage it, and bands that try to work local clubs usually only work a room once when they play so loud that the customers leave.

Consider that the big metal bands that play arenas and stadiums are playing on stages that are larger than the entire club that you might play in, not considering the side of the arena or stadium.

And if you pay attention to what bands are really using on stage. you'll often find a 50 watt or less amp being what is being used... often the rest is just for show, and not even plugged in.

So, you probably need between 20 to 50 watts. Just my opinion. I use 5 or 18.

Cabinets: given your musical choices you probably will like a closed back cabinet better than an open backed one. Four 12" speakers is the traditional layout for metal-ish sounds,and I used to carry 9 of those. But it got to be too much. I next moved to a stack of 2x12 cabinets. (Eventually I changed that. too.) But the sealed back design gives the thunk that hard rock and heavy metal guys like to hear. I would probably skip an open backed design if I were you.

But it might pay to example one of the hybrid designs. I use a 2x12 THD cabinet that has about a 3 or 4 inch sloct cut in the back, and this design gives me a little bit of both... I get the think, but I also get some of the open-back sound. Avatar, THD, and a handful of other manufacturers are offering this solution, and I am liking it.

In terms of amp sound, that is a lot more personal. I used to be a vintage guy and I had piles of old Fenders, Marshalls, Voxes, Ampegs, etc. Then I found the boutique tube amps, and I preferred that sound. I got into the low end of that market, at THD. You could look at Bogner, Divided By 13, Matchless, Top Hat, Dr Z, the list goes on, and once experienced, thay are hard to turn away from.

The Line6 amps are quite popular with the crowd that likes emulations, and there is a lot of flexibility there. I never cared much for the straight solid state sound, but I've got a vintage Vox solid state model that still gets occasional use. Finally, that Mesa sound is employed by a lot of artists of all styles.... it was never my thing, but I love the sounds that many players get from that amp.

Whatever you choose, don't be in a hurry. Try out a lot of choices and carefully consider your options. And I suggest that you leave all the pedals at home... all that stuff can blur the differences among amps. After I got the THD, I ended up replacing my emulation pedals with better quality pedals, because the pedals then were putting a veil over the sound that I could get from just the guitar straight through the amp.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well, if you can afford a stack, I suggest the Marshall 15W head.

If not, Line 6 Valve 212 is your best bet.

That isn't going to be tight enough or have enough gain for a metal tone though.

A budget, and average venue size are important considerations in an amp selection. Could you provide some more info as to those criteria, and maybe name one or two players whose tones you like.

FYI, I am currently playing through a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 50, and it has the versatility and quality of tone that I need for my wide variety of tastes and styles, all at the touch of a single button.

The Spider Valve is a good choice, but a Peavey Classic 30 or 50 will give ya lots of tone and flexibility, in conjunction with the pedals you already have, and they tend to hold up very well.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I listen to mainly Christian Rock and Metal so you probably wont know these guys but Brad Noah from DISCIPLE, and Rob from Ashes Remain, and the guitarists from Oh,Sleeper are some of my fav tones, for the mild stuff i like the Steven Curtis Chapman, John Waller, Todd Agnew and the Tree 63 tones, if that helps

_____DISCIPLE_ROCKS_____

PAUL REED SMITH GUITARS 4 EVER

I listen to mainly Christian Rock and Metal so you probably wont know these guys but Brad Noah from DISCIPLE, and Rob from Ashes Remain, and the guitarists from Oh,Sleeper are some of my fav tones, for the mild stuff i like the Steven Curtis Chapman, John Waller, Todd Agnew and the Tree 63 tones, if that helps

Then, Line 6 Spider Valve 212, or Egnater Rebel 30 combo.

I know Rob Tehan (kinda)- the guy is smokin'! And played a festival that Disciple was headlining a few years ago- genuine good guys who know how to RAWK. (I've been known to do a Todd Agnew song from time to time with my band Awestruck.)

What part of MD are you in? Got a band?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived