Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Video Promo's

J. Dan

Wondering how many of you out there have done professional DVD's for your press packs, and your opinion as to the payback on it?

Our booking agent has been hastling us for one for quite a while, but at the same time, he basically said don't waste your money unless it's going to be really top notch. Another local band did one for around $2k that they more or less shot themselves and had edited, and he said that wasn't good enough. We talked to somebody really professional and we're looking at $3k-$5k. We are already booked solid at the bars and such, but this would be to get more corporate stuff. It seems like the corporate stuff has been down lately and that we could spend our money better elsewhere.

So just wanting some feedback from some you who may be doing some of the corporate stuff and/or have done professional video. We're booked as much as we want to be, it's just a matter of if it will land the higher paying stuff, and enough more to pay back the cost of the video within a few gigs during 2010 (which is what we are currently booking).

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're fortunate cost-wise in that I've edited our own DVD promo having some (knowledgeable and trained) friends shoot it and doing cutaways and such myself. I do videos professionally (along with soundtracks) and was a film/video major as were several of my friends. So we have a little cadre of people who do this regularly/professionally and therefore my band doesn't have to pay outside folks.

Our promo did land us some corporate gigs although that's not our focus since we tend to highlight original music. But I would say that DVD promos are quite effective and much like the demo cassettes of old. People do like to SEE what they are getting as well as hear it.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Corporate gigs are all about the sight & sound experience. They don't know or care anything about the actual music (other than the genre). It's based on marketing.

I think that if corporate is down right now, this may be a great time to get a production dvd ready, as well as the rest of your marketing material.

It will take you some amount of time to get this together at the level of quality you're talking about. So by the time the economy comes roaring back, you'll be ready with your new stuff and already have some presence.

Here for the gear.

See, I was kind of looking at it from a glass half empty point of view. I was thinking since the corporate gigs have sort of dried up, I'd be better off spending the band's money elsewhere. But you have a good point about being prepared when it turns around.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can just pay to get good raw footage and edit a video myself (I have a little bit of experience). Then, when things turn around, if it turns out I need a better video, I could just pay for better editing. I'd hate to do the footage on a budget, because then if I want to do something top notch, if it isn't good enough, I have to scrap it all and start over.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived