Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

loops live

motherfunky

hi, I hope that this question belong here...

and the question is: what I need to have to use loops and samples on live performances? I have a band 2 guitars, bass, drumms and two vocals (hiphop and grunge oriented one) and we sound like:

and we want to add some loops...and we want to do it with laptop so...if any one have experience...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far more important than the choice of software is how you're going to implement it so that the band can stay in sync with the loops.

Your drummer is going to need to have a timing reference; at the "low tech" end is a system where you send the loop playback to him, either in headphones or in a blisteringly loud monitor, so that he doesn't drift from the tempo of the loops.

That works about 10% of the time, given the average drummer's intake of alcohol, surging adrenaline as members of the opposite sex make eye contact, and generally shitty sense of time to begin with. :rolleyes:

Next you would send a sync signal (usually MIDI Time Clock) to the drummer's metronome, or a drum machine, to which he listens via headphones or the aforementioned ear-shattering monitor. This gives him/her a simpler, on-the-quarter-note timing reference to follow. The downside is not necessarily knowing where the "1" is, and sounding like total shite.

Best bet is to create fixed arrangements (or at the very least fixed intro segments) that give him/her a count-in before the top of the tune. That will go a very long way to instilling harmony and peace amongst the man-machine paradigm that you'll be introducing.

Beyond that, I leave it to others with more patience to translate into 'techno-ese'. :wave:

what I need to have to use loops and samples on live performances?

Far more important than the choice of software is how you're going to implement it so that the band can stay in sync with the loops.

Your drummer is going to need to have a timing reference; at the "low tech" end is a system where you send the loop playback to him, either in headphones or in a blisteringly loud monitor, so that he doesn't drift from the tempo of the loops.

Next you would send a sync signal (usually MIDI Time Clock) to the drummer's metronome, or a drum machine, to which he listens via headphones or the aforementioned ear-shattering monitor. This gives him/her a simpler, on-the-quarter-note timing reference to follow. The downside is not necessarily knowing where the "1" is, and sounding like total shite.

Best bet is to create fixed arrangements (or at the very least fixed intro segments) that give him/her a count-in before the top of the tune. That will go a very long way to instilling harmony and peace amongst the man-machine paradigm that you'll be introducing.

Has anyone ever hooked up a "butt-kicker" drum-seat monitor as a "click-track" type monitor to help the drummer stay on top of the meter while using loops / samples during live performances?

If Keith Moon could play with a click, your drummer should be able to. ;)

Ah, but Keith Moon could NOT play to a click; there are numerous (and, granted, apocryphal) tales of Baba O'Reilly going off the rails as Keith went jaunting off into rhythmic apoplexia...

Has anyone ever hooked up a "butt-kicker" drum-seat monitor as a "click-track" type monitor to help the drummer stay on top of the meter while using loops / samples during live performances?

They're good to assist, but I would never rely on just that to keep the drummer in sync. They're far more valuable to allow the drummer to have less of himself in the monitor, and more of everyone else (relatively speaking).

Our drummer plays electric drums, and plays to a click about 15-20% of the songs. We all use in-ear monitors. But he also typically requests a drum wedge that he runs Kick, Snare, Toms, and Bass guitar so that he can "feel" them - in addition to his IEM's. The click only runs through the IEM's (in addition to the rest of the mix). Usually they are pretty beefy monitors - minimum 15" 2-way... sometimes 2 of them, sometimes a biamp system. No butt-kicker, but they to tend to kick butt.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That works about 10% of the time, given the average drummer's intake of alcohol, surging adrenaline as members of the opposite sex make eye contact, and generally shitty sense of time to begin with. :rolleyes:

hehehe. . .someone's been in a few bands. . .

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

hehehe. . .someone's been in a few bands. . .

:wave:

Sorry, was my jaded perspective showing? ;)

All I can say is Thank God I'm fortunate enough to be able to surround myself with above-average (and some phenomenal) drummers these days. It was a bumpy road getting to here, though. :freak:

I've worked with otherwise excellent and professionally trained drummers who had never put this in their basket of tricks. You'd think we were trying to castrate them.

I can relate to Sven. The problems are more behavioral than technical. My advice is to let the drummer have some ownership of the process of adding loops. Start small with single examples/sections. Don't let people rush to judgment. "Well we tried loops on that song, yesterday. Didn't work!"

If you are doing single sections use the tap tempo features to slide up to the drummer rather than locking him down to a click at first. The good news is you (appear to) have done some lfo/sequenced based stuff with your drummer in the past. Like anything it's about building good listening habits and adjusting your playing. All the best,

Jerry

PS: I use ableton and a kp3 kaoss pad at times. Ableton is amazing for this.

I play with 2 drummers who are totally willing to play to a click, and do so very musically. I guess I'm lucky!

In my bands, the drummers bring a small mixer, and we send them custom mixes that have some combination of the loops and a click if they want it, and they make their own headphone mixes. Works great.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

and is there any type off controller that can be plug into laptop and be controlled by foot? so that I can record loop/sample and put it in some player and control it with foot?

You might want to check out Kid Beyond's use of a midi foot pedal to run his live looping ...

[video:youtube]V8mlSWWZ9zQ

and is there any type off controller that can be plug into laptop and be controlled by foot? so that I can record loop/sample and put it in some player and control it with foot?

I use a Behringer FCB1010 to trigger loops and stuff in Live. It's cheap, but it's MIDI only, so you'd need a MIDI/USB box, or do what I do and plug it into a USB Keyboard. It's also got one of the most arcane and confusing programming schemes of any peice of gear I own. But it's cheap and sturdy, has made it through about 5 yearsof gigging so far. I normally can't stnad Behringer gear, but this is the one thing of theirs I can recommend.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived