Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Bass - I may have found it.

SteveC

Things felt MUCH better tonight. The show went well and the bass kicked ass. I finally had a couple people in the audience who's opinion I could trust say the band sounded good and the bass was REALLY nice.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to wait at least until next June, when I'll make my plea yet again...

Peace.

--s-uu

Knowing me you probably won't have to wait that long. I'm doing some A/B'ing this week at the show. See how the Yamaha holds up in a side-by-side test.

Peace.

--s-uu

Knowing me you probably won't have to wait that long. I'm doing some A/B'ing this week at the show. See how the Yamaha holds up in a side-by-side test.

He was talking about begging Mr. Sadowsky for a birthday present.

I played TNB's Sadowsky once and was greatly impressed.

Peace.

--s-uu

He was talking about begging Mr. Sadowsky for a birthday present.

I played TNB's Sadowsky once and was greatly impressed.

Oh yeah, that plea. I forgot that one. I thought it was a reference to me and my usual buy/sell/try always go back to the Yamaha thing.

I already do that enough. I'm curious to A/B at the gig.

• 3 weeks later...
I put it out there. I am still playing it, trying to see if it will work. It's a shade on the "modern" side even for me. I'm thinking a "jazz pup" version of a Sadowsky would be better. Or some other "boutique jazz" bass.

I put it out there. I am still playing it, trying to see if it will work. It's a shade on the "modern" side even for me.

So what does a "modern" sound sound like? Not a vintage passive-type basically, or...?

One thing I've started to consider (and I'm probably late to the party) is that the increasingly hi-fi technology we have available--in recording and playing music and in making instruments to craft new music with--may just be exposing the dirty bits of our sound, like high frequency artifacts that many players generate (such as myself of course), and that's why people prefer analog technology... think this is related to your issues?

One thing I've started to consider (and I'm probably late to the party) is that the increasingly hi-fi technology we have available--in recording and playing music and in making instruments to craft new music with--may just be exposing the dirty bits of our sound, like high frequency artifacts that many players generate (such as myself of course), and that's why people prefer analog technology... think this is related to your issues?

Ah...the timeless question, "Do you suck too much for hi-fi?"

:D

Well, I will say I need to be very clean on this bass. My technique - or lack of it - is very audible on this bass. Same thing happened when I used an Avalon U5 - couldn't hide even with a "lesser" bass. Good thing I don't have one with this bass - I'd have to quit or get really good.

A guy I know who owns a 4002--they had these weird low-impedance humbuckers--said that playing it made him feel like "a cockroach exposed in the middle of the kitchen floor" or something like that. Too hi-fi for his tastes I guess. And he did use "modern" to describe it also...

I doesn't matter how modern your bass is if you play it through an old amp.

I play a lot of jazz gigs using my trusty old Roland Bass Cube 60.

It'll take the "modern" edge off anything.

Here's why:

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/rolandcube60bass.gif

True. My Shuttle can be quite "modern" as well. I have thought about a different amp but I really love my Shuttle. When I played at church yesterday, it sounded pretty darn nice when I used their PodXT and the Tube Preamp setting, flat EQ, a little drive and a touch of compression.

I get to try it at a "real" gig this week - outside, big PA, etc. We'll see how it goes. I'm also taking it to my jazz trio gig on Thursday.

About gear...

If you don't like how it sounds and it doesn't work for your gigs, so be it. Move along.

If it doesn't feel right or it's more challenging to use than is reasonable on gigs, for rehearsals, in the studio, so be it. Move along.

Labels help us describe issues to each other when we can't have an actual sonic experience (and even when we share sound clips, we're limited by the quality of our computer speakers, headphones, etc), but in the end, whether the label is quite right or not (e.g., "modern") isn't going to matter if the sound, feel, or useability isn't right.

So, Steve, I'm sorry that this bass isn't quite right. Maybe you'll never have exactly what you want or need either because of a specific sound in your head or the shifting needs of your gigs. Enjoy the journey of the gear carousel -- it may just be a constant for you. Try not to lose money in the flipping of instruments and other gear, and maybe one day you'll win the lottery and have enough resources to have a stable of rigs and instruments that give you all the flexibility you could desire.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Labels help us describe issues to each other when we can't have an actual sonic experience (and even when we share sound clips, we're limited by the quality of our computer speakers, headphones, etc), but in the end, whether the label is quite right or not (e.g., "modern") isn't going to matter if the sound, feel, or useability isn't right.

+1. I didn't mean to detract from a message like yours by inquiring about what "modern" is, I think I just always like to poke and prod when something ambiguous comes up. My bad.

Archived