Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Bass - I may have found it.

SteveC

Well, I finally got to play the Sadowsky tonight at rehearsal for "Hair" that I'm doing for the next couple weeks. It was REALLY NICE! I know it's the "honeymoon" period, but I can tell you I have never felt this good about a new bass. The neck is fantastic. The sound is tight, focused, fat, and smooth. So far so good.

I usually feel the need to hold on to my Yamaha as I have never played a neck that I like more. I think I did tonight. Almost played itself. The VTC (Vintage Tone Control) is a really nice feature.

Pictures here - but I have the Sadowsky pups in it, not the pictured Nordstrands.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice. I'm glad you found the bass; its a good feeling.

Amen ! Although it is relative, no ? When I had just my Ibanez BTB, that was the bass for me, and I still like it a lot. But now that I have my Fender Jazz, that is definitely the bass for me, and it leaves the Ibanez far behind. Wonder what will come around to leave the Jazz far behind, if anything :)

Unlike Steve, though, I seem to keep most of my basses :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Unlike Steve, though, I seem to keep most of my basses :grin:

Touche' my friend. I always say it, but this time it may stick. I really love this bass.

Man I hope this is the one for you !!! And in fairness, I have owned a total of 6 basses (upright included), 2 of which I have sold or traded :)

I won't get rid of any of my current basses, if only for sentimental reasons. But if in the future I buy more basses, I do see myself swapping or selling if I am not 100% satisfied - much like I did with the Yamaha 6-string. So I do understand where you come from :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Great Steve. I hope this IS the one for you. Keep the Yamaha though, at least until you can feel good about parting ways with an old friend. :thu:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

We'll see. I may keep the Yamaha. I'd only get maybe $450 for it, and it's been through a lot with me. We'll see.

The Sadowsky isn't very forgiving of bad technique that's for sure. I noticed a couple times where my sloppiness came through clear as a bell.

I'm a little torn. Even though I wouldn't get a lot selling it, it would still pay for a good chunk of the Sadowsaky. Between that and the pay for the show I'm doing I'd almost have her paid off.

I doubt I'd bring 2 basses to a gig, and the Sadowsky sounds so darn good. I have never been one to have stuff around the house I don't use on a regular basis.

As someone who goes through at least as much gear as you (if not more) Steve I'd recommend holding on to it at least for a while. Give it 6 months and if you haven't played it in that long then sell it. But let the honeymoon period end and some time pass before making the leap if you can.

Personally, even though I'm not taking two basses to gigs very often these days I'd be uncomfortable not having a backup/second bass at home in case something happens to #1 (not that I have a hard/fast #1). I've had problems (broken nut, bad solder joint, etc.) that put a bass out of commission for long enough that I needed another to play. Granted having a friend with gear or a credit card and store nearby can take care of that but I'd rather have a bass I like and am comfortable with around for those times.

Give it 6 months and if you haven't played it in that long then sell it. But let the honeymoon period end and some time pass before making the leap if you can.

Granted having a friend with gear or a credit card and store nearby can take care of that but I'd rather have a bass I like and am comfortable with around for those times.

Probably a good idea. I can always sell it later.

Probably a good idea. I can always sell it later.

If anyone can, it's you ! But wasn't the whole idea of this ordeal having a bass to back up your Yamaha ? Once you sell your Yamaha, you'll need a backup for the Sadowsky ...

Yeah, a 2nd bass for backup, alternate tone, etc. I think everyone has convinced me to hang on to it for a little while and see how things go. It's an excellent bass.

I hope this is "your bass". I really do. That's a fabulous instrument.

...at least until you can feel good about parting ways with an old friend. :thu:

no way. relative to the sentimentality and sonic comfort zone of the yamaha, its sale has virtually no value. keep it. it has earned its permanent place.

robb.

Which is exactly why I'll never part with my beloved Modulus Q4 that I've had since 1992. I hardly ever play it. But when I do it just feels like home. Might have something to do with the fact that I spent so much time with it while in school. And I used it to record the first album I played on.

I'm hanging on to the Yamaha. The neck on the Sadowsky is sweet, but it is noticeably wider than the Yamaha so we'll have to see how that goes. 2 weeks of nightly shows should help give me an idea of if that neck will be something I can live with or not. It's a pretty good stretch for my pudgy little fingers.

I'm hanging on to the Yamaha. The neck on the Sadowsky is sweet, but it is noticeably wider than the Yamaha so we'll have to see how that goes. 2 weeks of nightly shows should help give me an idea of if that neck will be something I can live with or not. It's a pretty good stretch for my pudgy little fingers.

Yes, the neck does look noticeably wider on their 5ers. I've never played one, so I cannot comment on it.

How's the weight overall?

Sadowsky uses the same string spacing for the five as he does for four: 3/4 inches between strings. Other companies use 5/8 or even smaller.

If you play a lot of chords on your bass (gasp! heresy!), you'll want a narrower spacing. If you're playing one note at a time (the way "real bass players" do, You can get used to either one. Slapping is easier with wider string spacing.

Yes, the neck does look noticeably wider on their 5ers. I've never played one, so I cannot comment on it.

How's the weight overall?

The overall weight is very similar to my Yamaha. I don't have a scale, but it's ease to strap on for a few hours.

Those BB605s are sleepers. If I had the money, I might have encouraged you to go with just the Sadowsky... :D

(PS Still wish I'd bought your old Wendler! But I reckon it found a better home than I could have given it.)

I would at least keep two basses around, just so you can say you have a back up. You never know what's going to happen.

I remember how I felt when I got my Jazz Bass, and then even more so when I got my first 4003. Everything just seemed to fall into place so neatly, and especially with the 4003, the honeymoon period never really stopped. It sounds like you're going through the very same thing. Those Sadowskys are hot; enjoy!!

Those BB605s are sleepers. If I had the money, I might have encouraged you to go with just the Sadowsky... :D

I agree - especially mine. There's just something about that bass. I mean, it has stayed while countless "boutique" bass and basses that cost 3-5 times as much are now gone.

I've only seen one "pro" using it and I can't remember his name. You don't see them for sale used much either. People must hang on to them.

Archived