Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Squier 5-string P?

davio

I was looking through the TB classifieds and came across a Squier 5-string P bass and noticed something odd. It seems to have two J pups and 3 knobs (I'm guessing VVT). It appears that's the norm for Squier P 5s. What makes it different from a J 5 other than body shape and pickguard?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's because the Squier 5-string P probably pre-dates the Fender 5-string P, which only VERY RECENTLY introduced a split-P pickup for 5-string basses.

Squier did a really cool 5-string P-bass back in the mid-1990's that was transparent crimson in color, with dual humbucking pickups. A friend of mine owned one and absolutely loved it.

I was looking at getting one at one time. Other than body shape, it's more Jazz than anything else. I had heard the p'ups are a standard 4 string setup under the covers and the low B was kind of weak. I played one for a minute, it semed ok but a huge neck (which I liked). I think they quit making them within the last year or two.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived