Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Glasstones

http://3s5s6.skt6u.servertrust.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

Lynn Fuston just posted a question about this technology. I'd never heard of it.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhmn... I'm curious, I guess- but that may have been the worst, driest, most unappealing promo I've ever waited through...

I'll be back after I've actually heard some of their clips...

EDIT: OMG, WTF what am I expected to get from a badly recorded clip with all the noisy clatter of a NAMM convention in full swing as the backdrop?!

Maybe they've got some clips that aren't so incredibly stupidly chosen; I'll be a sport and hang in there, lookin' for one...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Uhmn... I'm curious, I guess- but that may have been the worst, driest, most unappealing promo I've ever waited through...

I'll be back after I've actually heard some of their clips...

wasn't that a brutal video?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Well, if you can remember back in the 70s, our goal was more sustain. We shifted to brass bridges and saddles, and big guitars like Les Pauls, Explorers, etc. Glued necks were preferred over bolt ons, neck through body were even better... fewer transitions between divergent materials between the bridge and the nut, means less loss of energy=more sustain.

SO... if the bridge and the saddles are so much denser than brass, this would also equate to more sustain. I don't quite see where the fretboard plays into this scenario, though. I guess that the frets laying on the glass might provide a harder resting surface, so maybe again, more sustain.

Steve Martin

You'd pretty much eliminate "dead spots" on the fretboard, other than those actually caused by something else like a bad phase-inverter tube in an amp. If you like ebony fretboards, you'd probably LOVE one of these.

But I have to wonder if this would isolate the strings from the neck, body, and all too much; if maybe some of what I like in what a guitars wood brings to the tonal-character might be shoved aside...

Well, I'm open minded about it until I've at least played one for a while. But as I said on the other thread, I suspect that it is going to be like the Gibson Magic system.... I'm not going to convert any of my vintage axes, and I'm not going to buy one of their $4,000 mystery guitars.

Steve Martin

start mixing glass and high techy stuff and eventually one day all guitars will sound the same, then you will have a shop that separates different "body models" and "colors" through how it sounds... the better the sound the higher the price, but the unique tone carved into the guitar from use care love ( lol but yes.) etc etc will be disappear...

i know! it aint that drastic, im just saying, hope it never comes to that!

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Man, watching that video gave me flashbacks to the science classes I had to take and the concepts I couldn't grasp... lol.

"Specific gravity?" "Vitric components?"

I just want something I can plug in and rock n' roll with...

"Unique tim-bray" ??? :freak:

Yeah! :D

Yeah, that knocked down their credibility with me quite a bit! :rolleyes:

The technology looks very interesting but they REALLY need to get some marketing pros to fix their website & do a better job on their demo videos.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I wonder if it was inspired by the Lane Poor Minima bass? Someone on Craigslist was selling one in my area a few months ago, and per that and Harmony Central it used a "....silica fretboard (yes glass-based) that claims to never need refretting because there ARE NO FRETS. Instead the board is sawtooth wave-shaped, with the bass strings resting on the peaks."

Oar knott.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I'm sorry to post this, but it just got on my nerves.. I sell densitometers for a living. He listed the "Specific Gravity" in cubic centimeters. Cubic Centimeters are a unit of volume. Specific Gravity is unitless, as it is a ratio compared to another material, at reference conditions. For instance, a liquid with a SG of 1 has the same density as water at standard temperature and pressure.

Now Density can be measured in Grams per Cubic Centimeter (g/cc), but not cubic centimeters, and that's density, not specific gravity.

They are trying to make their technology look impressive and don't even know the units of density?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Dan,

I didn't catch that because I was distracted by the horrible quality if the video over-all. Could he be speaking in some accepted shorthand? I know that we audio types throw "dB" around a lot too, and that is also missing its reference point.

Steve Martin

kinda expect a bottleneck tonal sound, 'eh? Imagine a neck that was all glass including the frets, and nut and bridge.

I would imagine that to be pretty darn cold sounding.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Dan,

I didn't catch that because I was distracted by the horrible quality if the video over-all. Could he be speaking in some accepted shorthand? I know that we audio types throw "dB" around a lot too, and that is also missing its reference point.

I sell densitometers for a living and have never heard that. SG, g/cc, lb/cu ft... The closest thing I see regularly that is tecnically incorrect is on liquid applications to use density in g/cc and Specific Gravity interchangably. But since water is very close to 1 g/cc (usually about 0.998), then 1.1 SG is also about 1.1 g/cc, assuming you are at standard temp and pressure. At elevated temperature, this no longer holds true because of different thermal expansion rates of different materials. But I have NEVER heard density or SG listed in units of volume. Even if you wanted to make it shorthand, I would think you would keep the unit in the numerator (mass) instead of the denominator (volume). Because that is the part that is critical to density. If you compare the same volume (a cubic centimeter) of materials, the one with the higher MASS (grams) has the higher density. And in fact, this is how they typically would measure density - take a known volume and measure it on a scale. They don't take a fixed mass and measure the volume - you could, but they don't do it that way.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well, we already know that proper use of terms isn't their strong point ("shiver me timbres" & all :rolleyes:) but ya never can be sure what something new will be like til it's tried...

As I recall, & Bill mentioned, density of material, such as brass, for nuts & saddles, etc., for sustain has been argued but often discounted as secondary to the coupling of materials in transfering vibration. Something all of a single material might help but I wonder at glass (or glasslike vitric) for this---note that's "wonder", not "question". Though Johnny Hiland seems to like 'em...(he's the only one cited that I even know of).

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=60834887

BTW, isn't there a difference between density & mass ?

Also, what would one do when the single unit fretboard's frets began to wear ?

Take special note of the return/refund policy; looks like returning an undamaged but unsatisfactory $4000 instrument would cost $600 for restocking.

http://3s5s6.skt6u.servertrust.com/articles.asp?id=3

d=halfnote

BTW, isn't there a difference between density & mass ?

Mass is essentially weight... technically weight is the force of gravity on mass, but since we're not taking our mass to the upper atmosphere, or mars, or anything like that, you can consider mass to be weight.

Density is Mass per volume. So to steal from an old analogy, a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks - one pound. But since they are much different densities, a pound of feathers takes up much more volume than a pound of bricks.

Dan

...Take special note of the return/refund policy; looks like returning an undamaged but unsatisfactory $4000 instrument would cost $600 for restocking.

http://3s5s6.skt6u.servertrust.com/articles.asp?id=3

:freak:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Am I alone in thinking sustain is overrated? Not that I think it's a bad thing if a guitar can sustain a note for 8,9, 10 seconds or more....it's just that no one really plays that way.

Plus, the tonal recipe doesn't sound terribly appealing. I like the way all the different fretboard, fret, bridge and nut materials mix together and I like the way they all exert their own influence on the "fundamental tone."

Am I alone in thinking sustain is overrated?

I believe you are.

Not that I think it's a bad thing if a guitar can sustain a note for 8,9, 10 seconds or more....it's just that no one really plays that way.

I do. Actually it is my position that sustain is the Holy Grail of electric guitar & that we do everything we can to alter the fundamental fact that guitar notes have a built in finite decay time, & what we seek is to break that barrier & have the sustainability of a bowed string or blown reed when played with circular breathing.

Plus, the tonal recipe doesn't sound terribly appealing. I like the way all the different fretboard, fret, bridge and nut materials mix together and I like the way they all exert their own influence on the "fundamental tone."

This is also very true. Much of the problem with the Glasstones promo video is that it makes assumptions which are so easily challenged. They make no believable case for their assertions that (A) a problem exists with current neck construction approaches, & (B) that their system provides a solution that anybody would find acceptable, even if we accept (A).

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Interesting, but way too piercing for me. That thing would be unbearable through a chimey clean amp, especially SS.

:idea::rawk::eek: Put that stuff on that birch-ply SG with those hot ceramic humbuckers... :thu:

Interesting, but way too piercing for me. That thing would be unbearable through a chimey clean amp, especially SS.

:idea::rawk::eek: Put that stuff on that birch-ply SG with those hot ceramic humbuckers... :thu:

:wave::rawk::deadhorse:

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived