Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SSS at Chuck Levin's and the afterparty

Sorry to double post this, but I figured this was worthy of it's own little thread! A bunch of SSS'ers showed up for Craig's seminar on the Alesis ION at Chuck Levin's last night! IROSS: You missed the afterparty, which was a bummer for you! We had a blast eating and drinking at the [url=http://www.royalmilepub.com/]Royal Mile Pub[/url] . It was me (Andrew), rog951 (Rog), TinderArts (Bill), Jedi (Lincoln), Rim (Rim), Craig Anderton (messiah) as well as Mark from Alesis and Rob (another guy we think was from Alesis, but we weren'ty quite sure.) Check out the menu. We all had draught (a more hoity-toity spelling of 'draft') beers like Guiness, Killians Red and Sierra Nevada. I had Fiush and Chips, Rog had Shepard's Pie and Rim had a Reuben. I can't remember what Craig and Bill (Tinder Arts) had, but it all looked good. I bring all this up because the best part of the evening was that Mark, the Alesis rep, picked up the whole tab! Freakin' awesome. A big thanks from all of us! We talked music, sports, politics, and a bit about our lives, etc. Very cool. I admit, when I first got to the seminar, the crowd (admittedly thin at that point) looked like it was chock full o' techno-weenies. I was a bit scared that I might spend the evening in fear of being accidentally stabbed by a pocket protector as someone lunged for their dropped asthma inhaler. But the SSS'ers couldn't have been a cooler bunch of people. Very cool to meet a bunch of people who have gone through the same kinds of things with bands and other musician friends to get to the points where we are today. And Bill was a wellspring of knowledge and cool anecdotes about his years working as a sound guy. I didn't get to talk to Craig much because he was at the other end of the table, but after he had to leave to catch a plane, me, Rog, Lincoln Bill and Rim sat around till we closed the place just rapping. I had a damn good time, guys. Any of you PM me for my info and we'll move forward on the jammings and collaborations we discussed. Hope we do it again sometime soon! Drew
Andrew Mazzocchi

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Frederick (the guy who picked up your tab) is the vice-president of Alesis and Numark, and a buddy of mine for the last 12 years or so. Good guy...glad to hear you had a good time with him, Craig and the SSSers. - Jeff

If Mark reads this, in January, drinks are on me at the Hilton bar. :thu: The demo was cool. Ion has an awful lot goin for it. When my wallet gets happy, I look forward to getting one. The filter, effects, routing options and controllers are much better than one would expect at this price point. The guitvocodrumulator function rocks, and Craig showed us a few dance steps as well. Nice hang afterwards. I hope that Jedi has recovered from the trip to the doghouse. I somewhat hogged Craig's time at the pub. He was at the end of the table by me and to those who didn't get much of a chance to chat with Craig, I apologize. We talked about the Ion, PRS, LEDs and how they work with the Quadrafuzz, and resisted the temptation to bring up politics. ;) It was great to meet both of the Rosses, Rog, Rim, Ultraman, and the Alesis crew. We certainly should get togther and do some playin'.

Ooops. I had posted this on the first thread so I moved it here. ============================================= I'll echo much of the same stuff. Craig, it was very cool to finally meet you in person. It was enjoyable to watch perform even though it was only a demo. It was clear to me you enjoy performing and dang good, too! Sorry I was late to the demo. I was actually there earlier but I was in Chuck's other building. Of course, I ended up checking out an amp before I realised you were in the building next door. :p Big thanks to Mark and Rob (fairly sure an Alesis guy), especially Mark who picked up the tab. Of course, Tinder, Jedi, rog, ultra and I had to stay after Mark, Rob and Craig left - we had to spend our own money! It was cool to hear the Mark had started with Alesis 15 years ago as a stockboy (in his words) and has moved up to where he is now. I hope they all got to their destinations safely. *** Teaser warning *** Mark told me about a line of products Alesis will be releasing in November that should interest many git players. I won't say anymore since I'm not sure I can. ;) Very cool meeting rog, utlra, and Tinder for the first time. And always cool to see the Lincolns! Although there was a lot of gear talk, we all did talk about everything, didn't we? :thu: I just realized no lurkers showed up this time. :confused: :( Maybe next time! Let's keep up the good vibe DC SSSers! Maybe one day, we'll rival the gatherings at LA, NY, etc. Let's definitely jam over at Tinder's place! Who's afraid of the big, bad tornado? Rog is! Rog is! :D Seriously though, it was great finally meeting you, rog. Like I told you, I remember you were one of the first ones who helped me out a lot when I first joined SSS. Shoot, now that I think of it, I should've bought you a round of the hard stuff. Next time!

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

[quote]Originally posted by Rim: [b]It was cool to hear the Mark had started with Alesis 15 years ago as a stockboy (in his words) and has moved up to where he is now.[/b][/quote]It's true. He was a warehouse worker and a truck driver. Then he got into international sales, due to his shipping knowledge. A few years later, he ran the international sales group. Before I left there in 2000, Mark was the head of all sales, US and worldwide. Mark is one of the only people who was part of Alesis' early days, its middle successful period with ADAT and the like, and through the transition of ownership in 2001. He's a good guy, and I'm glad the company owner saw the qualities in him to make him the VP of both brands. - Jeff

That was totally cool, totally fun. Well, at least once everything was set up...there was a lot of nail biting between 3 and 7 PM when the MDF I brought along as a "fail safe" way to get my sys ex patches into the Ion failed. Luckily I had saved the stuff on my Mac, grabbed a MIDISport from the store, and transferred the patches over, while Peter from the store updated the Ion to V1.02. Close call, though. I'm glad y'all liked the seminar. It's tough to do the first one, you never quite know how the pacing is going to work out and all that. But a supportive audience helps . Gets rid of the "Jeez I better not blow it" factor. TinderArts, GREAT idea about slaving one Ion to the other's controls and doing surround. I'm going to have to try that. I think I'll work it into the PowerPoint...I would never have thought of ganging Ions in a zillion years. Too cool. And it was soooo cool to hang with SSSers afterwards!! What a great crew. I wish it could have gone on a lot longer, but I was pretty fried...four hours sleep, blah blah. It felt like I knew you guys already, I guess with all your posts I already do. Yeah, I was surprised when Mark picked up the tab, that was pretty generous. He thought it was a good group of people. Can't disagree with that . Thanks again for your hospitality!!! Onward to Tampa, LA, and Europe...

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Thanks again for your hospitality!!! Onward to Tampa, LA, and Europe...[/b][/quote]When/where is your LA seminar, Craig? I'd like to grab a lunch with you if you have the time. - Jeff

Here's the LA schedule: 9/25/03 7-9 pm Guitar Center Sherman Oaks 14209 Ventura Blvd Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 (818) 990-8332 9/30/03 7-9 pm West LA Music 11345 Santa Monica Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90025 (310) 477-1945

Hey -- if any of you at the seminar have any suggestions on things you liked, disliked, wish I'd covered, etc. feel free to post 'em here or email me. I constantly change seminars over time based on feedback. For example, someone suggested I also do the standard "mic into Vocoder" sound, not just the more "out" effects.

Craig, I disagree. I REALLY liked seeing the possibilities with a vocoder NOT used as a standard vocal effect. My only complaint was that in the example you did, the resulting sound was too 'drum-hit sound with some guitar sound thrown in with a drum beat' rather than 'guitar sound wonking through with a drum beat'. Obviously, I'm not sure how to explain this... I think the resultant sound you got could have used more of a guitar tone coming through, with less of the drum hit noise.
Andrew Mazzocchi

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Hey -- if any of you at the seminar have any suggestions on things you liked, disliked, wish I'd covered, etc. feel free to post 'em here or email me. I constantly change seminars over time based on feedback. For example, someone suggested I also do the standard "mic into Vocoder" sound, not just the more "out" effects.[/b][/quote]Suggestion #1: better chairs, please! ;) Personally, I would've liked to have seen a more thorough demonstration using the different types of filters 'n' stuff on guitar, but, luckily, I realized recently that the world might not actually revolve around me and that a demo for an analog modeling synth probably wouldn't be filled with a bunch of hack guitarists like myself. For this reason, I will forgive you. I kinda, sorta agree that it might be cool to give a quick demo of your basic ANSII standard "vocal vocoding," if for no other reason than to practice the expression of your gratitude toward all your mechanical buddies, in Japanese.
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Hey -- if any of you at the seminar have any suggestions on things you liked, disliked, wish I'd covered, etc. feel free to post 'em here or email me.[/b][/quote]Craig, I noticed that the Ion has 4 outputs. First, does the effects section only go to the main outs? Second, as far as surround apps go, the Ion might very well be usable for lead lines and other stacked mono patches all on it's own. This wouldn't work for pads or other voice hungry sounds. Let me know how the 2 Ion rig turns out.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Here's the LA schedule: 9/25/03 7-9 pm Guitar Center Sherman Oaks 14209 Ventura Blvd Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 (818) 990-8332 9/30/03 7-9 pm West LA Music 11345 Santa Monica Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90025 (310) 477-1945[/b][/quote]Hmmmmm....LA clinics, you say. Perhaps an LA area Musicplayer event would be in order - if not on the night of one of the clinics, then perhaps on one of the evenings in between (assuming, of course, you'll be staying out here for those days). That could be some fun... :thu: dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

<> It looks like I will be out there during the days in between, but also attending to some family things. BUT I like the idea of an SSS hang!! Leave it to Bryce to come up with the good ideas.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Onward to Tampa, LA, and Europe...[/b][/quote]Hey Craig, Don't forget about coming to the Fort for Gearfest...! :p I'll see you at Chuck's hogroast, Dood... ;) Would you mind autographing a couple of your books for me...? _______________________________ Rog, Please explain about the Super Phaser... Thanks,

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Don't know if I'll make it in time for the roast, my plane doesn't get in until 8:30, then I gotta get baggage etc. But I'll do my best...I'm going to go to the airport in a few minutes and see if I can go standby for an earlier flight.

[quote]Originally posted by 20to20: [b]Rog, Please explain about the Super Phaser...[/b][/quote]O-tay. During the Alesis Ion demo, I noticed that one of the available effects was called "Super Phaser." Well, I used to own a Boss Super Phaser pedal and I blurted out something like "hey, isn't that a Roland/Boss trademark?" Everybody looked at me like I was completely off my rocker (nothing new really). To satisfy my curiosity, I went to the Boss webpage yesterday and I couldn't find it anywhere. I was starting to doubt my own sanity so I did a google search and, luckily, returned a bunch of hits. I guess Boss just recently discontinued it?
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Hey -- if any of you at the seminar have any suggestions on things you liked, disliked, wish I'd covered, etc. feel free to post 'em here or email me. I constantly change seminars over time based on feedback. For example, someone suggested I also do the standard "mic into Vocoder" sound, not just the more "out" effects.[/b][/quote]I'm not sure how possible this would be, but it would've been nice to see the Ion's display as you scrolled through and set options. Unless the Ion's display has a built-in video out, this may not be possible. I was thinking, though, since you have a laptop with you, maybe you could set up a web cam pointed at the Ion's display and show that on the projector?

aka riffing

[quote]Originally posted by rog951: [b] [quote]Originally posted by 20to20: [b]Rog, Please explain about the Super Phaser...[/b][/quote]O-tay. During the Alesis Ion demo, I noticed that one of the available effects was called "Super Phaser." Well, I used to own a Boss Super Phaser pedal and I blurted out something like "hey, isn't that a Roland/Boss trademark?" Everybody looked at me like I was completely off my rocker (nothing new really).[/b][/quote]hey rog, as a six-stringer, i didn't doubt you. i remember seeing that pedal in music catalogs.

aka riffing

<> The screen shots in the PowerPoint demo were designed to be representative of what I was doing on the display. I was able to get these shots because one of the engineers at Alesis gave me a version of the OS that let's you take a "snapshot" of the display and send it out as a MIDI file!! He also provided a converter to conver this to a .pbm file, and I have art programs that can convert that to .bmp or .jpg, which I could then bring into PowerPoint. A little convoluted, but the screen shots you saw were ones taken during the process of creating the presets used in the seminar. The video camera thing is a good idea, I tried it a few times when doing other seminars and the success rate was variable. The main problem is figuring out how to switch the display between the PowerPoint presentation and the camera. A lot of projectors have two inputs, but then someone has to switch them. Maybe I could just create a movie in Vegas from the screen shots that documents a specific operation...I think you can call AVI files from PowerPoint.

Archived