Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

People tend to ask HOW, this time I ask WHEN and WHY

Braxat

I´m seriously bored at work right now, i even went to see a movie at the cinema and came back and the office could be dead... SO, its time for all you dinosaurs (not to offend anyone).. I mean, great guitar players... to get nostalgic!

WHEN did you start playing guitar and WHY??

;)

hope you post!

Regards,

-B

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At 13, after coming home from a Blind Faith concert. Clapton changed my life then and there. I sat and figured out the bass line to "Sunshine Of Your Love", which was topping the charts back then.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

The British Invasion did it to me. The Beatles first; anybody who didn't want to play guitar after seeing them had no music in their souls at all, and only liked them for their haircuts. :rimshot:

But I went to the movie theater in Little Rock Air Force Base one Friday evening, and saw a film that had a lot of second wave British groups, the Spencer Davis Group, The Nashville Teens(from England, not Nashville, go figure), a bunch of one hit wonders, and The Animals. I heard The Animals do House of The Rising Sun, and it was like the shape of my brain changed or something. All I could think was"I have GOT to learn how to make that sound!"

I went home afterward, still thinking about that one song. A few days later I met a guy who know how to play it, and I made him show me how. I worked on playing those chords for weeks, and I finally got to where I could play it without having to stop to change chords.

After that, I was hooked. I bought some music books with the chords across the top of the staff, listened to the songs till I knew where the chords changed, and learned to play those chords without stopping between them. after a while, I taught myself how to figure out songs by listening to records. Then I just went nuts learning how to plays songs I liked.

It was, to me, a totally engrossing puzzle I couldn't put down. Learning one thing led me to another and another and another, and I just kept going with it. I think I was so taken with it because I was meant to. Playing guitar and music in general has been the passion of my life, and the one thing that is still with me from the time I was a teenager.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The silly thing is I don't exactly remember the when. After having bailed on my mother's wish that I play piano my mom and dad bought me a guitar and my brother a bass for Christmas. My mom played piano and dad always wished he had played something. He wanted all of his kids to play something so they encouraged all of us kids to play something.

They drove my brother and I 60 miles round trip once a week for lessons. Best thing they ever did for me. That was 30 some-odd years ago.

I started playing when I was around 14 I think, a couple friends were hacking away and I thought hey this is fun. Never scored any chicks but kept at it nonetheless! The band drifted apart for various reasons and then my guitar got stolen and sadly I quit playing. 20 or so years later got the itch again, oddly enough from a couple buddies I hang with in a model car club. That was 7 or 8 years ago and I'm soooo glad I started playing again, and again I thank forum members who suggested I take lessons! Why so I play? I love music is why, oh and just recently started "jamming" with a couple guys in my 'hood. Lovin' it all the way.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Music was always arround as I grew up.

In my family it was just like talking.

However, regarding this:

I´m seriously bored at work right now, i even went to see a movie at the cinema and came back and the office could be dead...

Can you get me in at that gig ?

d=halfnote

I started out as a trumpet player at 10.. never very good at it, but I learned how to read music and play in the school band. And my parents were always playing music, either themselves or records.

At 15 or 16 I took up guitar, largely because I loved the Beatles and Hendrix et al. But I was exposed to Coltrane, Segovia, Ravi Shankar and others about that time, so I have never been a 100% dyed in the wool rocker.

Been playing ever since (1968) - mostly in churches, but I listen to all KINDS of music!

Was raised in a fairly musical household and already played flute & dabbled in drums, but when I was 10 years old I was sitting in the waiting room of an allergist's office leafing through Life Magazine, and I came across a photo essay on the Rolling Stones concert at Altamont Speedway. That was it, like a lightbulb going on: I had no idea exactly what it was those dark, hairy, evil-looking guys were doing, I just knew that's what I wanted to do. Begged my folks to buy me a guitar and the rest is history.

I started out as a trumpet player at 10.. never very good at it, but I learned how to read music and play in the school band. And my parents were always playing music, either themselves or records.

At 15 or 16 I took up guitar, largely because I loved the Beatles and Hendrix et al. But I was exposed to Coltrane, Segovia, Ravi Shankar and others about that time, so I have never been a 100% dyed in the wool rocker.

Been playing ever since (1968) - mostly in churches, but I listen to all KINDS of music!

maybe you can suggest a song or two to learn then!

Music was always arround as I grew up.

In my family it was just like talking.

However, regarding this:

I´m seriously bored at work right now, i even went to see a movie at the cinema and came back and the office could be dead...

Can you get me in at that gig ?

that depends, are you as good with computers as with guitars and live in mexico? :o lol

Around 16 (although I had tinkered around pretty unsuccessfully a few years prior).

Why? Because some stoner friends had the idea to take some lessons and what with guitar playing being the coolest thing known to mankind, who could possibly argue??!!

I definitely had the huge desire since around age 10 when I heard Clapton's solo on Cream's Sunshine of Your Love on the radio and it was one of those "shook me to the core" type religious type experiences.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I was 17. I had a girlfriend with a full-size Fender F-65 classical gathering dust under her bed. After one particularly wild afternoon of sex, I stumbled across it and asked her if I could borrow it for a while to learn to play.

Three months later, I bought my own guitar (a Cortley steel-string acoustic) and it all went downhill from there.

born with it... Father played, his father (peepaw), moms father played (pappy) and his father and brothers and their fathers and brothers...

AS a matter of fact, here is the Great Great Grandpa and Brothers:

Great Great...

http://api.ning.com/files/q6X6do4RfJn56KI781tzSvbN3-6T3L*KtAzQ*i5DEQ13awAbmeLVswPdvgMxasce/Untitled1.jpg

I had my first guitar at 7....... Elvis had a huge effect on me..... I wanted to be him. Then it was The Beach Boys, The Shadows, The Ventures, The Animals and somewhere around there in a mix of The Beatles and The Stones, Kinks....etc etc ......I heard Jimi as he hit and I was changed forever. The next real guitar player to cause a major change of direction was John McLaughlin.

I was 17. I had a girlfriend with a full-size Fender F-65 classical gathering dust under her bed. After one particularly wild afternoon of sex, I stumbled across it and asked her if I could borrow it for a while to learn to play.

Three months later, I bought my own guitar (a Cortley steel-string acoustic) and it all went downhill from there.

Griff you lucky #@*&! You got laid AND scored a guitar!! I nominate Griff for the GP Forum Hall OF Fame. Anyone second the motion?

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Griff you lucky #@*&! You got laid AND scored a guitar!! I nominate Griff for the GP Forum Hall OF Fame. Anyone second the motion?

L.B.

NO. he makes me jealous. hahahahaha

Hmm.. Probably last year.

Haven't played very long, but I took guitar lessons, got the GP magazine, joined the forums, and now I'm GP's newest pest.

I guess I started playing after doing a lot of stuff prior on a newbie guitar. Now, I have a Strat, an AXL Jacknife, and I'm almost ready to dominate the world :D

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

Archived