Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VK 7

Kevin L

I apologize in advance. I just joined this forum and I have not had time to look up threads on this issue. Please show me where to look or an answer to my question. I have a Roland VK 7, purchased just slightly after they came out. Last year after an extremely hot summer and it sitting in my garage hoping for a gig, the glue melted under the keys (and because it was on end in a gig bag) ran down the keyboard. When everything cooled off again many keys were sticking together. Called Roland and they would be glad to fix it if I was the orig owner. I am but because the purchase was so long ago, I cannot find the reciept or remember the catalog from which I purchased it. Any self repair tips out there? Thanks, Kevin Luck

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had that happen on a VK7 that I was selling. It was fine when I had it, but for some reason while it was in the shop that I had it on consignment the glue melted. They don't turn the AC off there, so that should not have been it.

Anyway, it wasn't terribly hard to take the thing apart and clean it myself. The only bad part was that the felts got a little messed up and some keys ended up clunking on the flattened felt.

There are a jillion screws on the bottom, you'll have to remove them all. Note where they go. All the ones on one edge are the same size. The rest, except for one, are another size. I can't tell you which one that was.

Once you get the bottom off, you should be able to see what's next. I can't recall offhand. I do remember you have to squeeze each key at the back to get it out. They are marked as to what note they are, since some are similar but not exactly the same.

If I remember more, I'll post it. Feel free to ask any questions, and post pics or links to pics and I'll try to help you out.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wouldn't leave a KB in a parked car for very long, or my dog, and certainly not children! Temperatures that are fit for humans are generally OK for KBS! Cold temperatures are OK, but dampness is not.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I live in Dallas and it gets pretty hot out here. I regularly leave my gear in my vehicle while at work when gigging in the evening. Usually don't have time to drive home. I have never had anything like that happen to me. In fact I used a VK-7 for a couple years witout a problem. NOw using a CX-3......
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I've had better luck with my VK7 and Roland boards in general. They lived in the tour bus's trailer in flight cases for the better part of eight years in the blistering heat and freezing cold. Never had a problem.

K.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Thank you for the info. I did take the back off but was afraid to try to take the keyboard out with all the electrical conections but if I can take the individual keys out then I might be able to clean it. What did you use to actually get the glue off. I tried to warm it up to soften it but that is what caused the problem in the first place. I wondered if there is actually a solvent to remove the beaded up glue. Kevin

I don't honestly remember. The glue seemed to mostly come off in clumps with a little scraping, IIRC.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived