Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software MIDI events processor

Hello, I'm looking for a software version of what the MIDI Solutions Event Processor does. Something that filters, routes, assigns, responds to and outputs MIDI commands to either softsynths or a MIDI-Out port. I'd try searching for it one google, but I have no idea what something like that would be called, so I came here for help. I want a software version mainly because I'll only use it for softsynths on my laptop, and also because I figured it wouldn't have the hardware limitations, like settings number and such.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the product page of MIDI Solution's Event Processor Plus: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

Any help is appreciated

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use SoundQuest's MIDI Tools here:

http://www.squest.com/

for all my routing needs. Besides its flexibilty, ie: you can change signals, route them to one/many places, etc. you can also set up many routing "patches" and select them via program change messages so you can set up zones, programs changes for each synth etc. for each song and just send it a program change to select the appropriate patch. You can also name each patch. I use the lower manual preset keys of my XK-3c/System to select/control all of my signal routing.

MIDIOX:

http://www.midiox.com/

may do some or all of the same. I've never used it. I downloaded it to look at but it didn't seem to have the patch setup/selection capability so I didn't bother with it.

Good Luck.

Oh, sorry. I mentioned it in the other thread and forgot about it this one. I'm on a pc, and I'm currently only using either standalone VSTi's or running the non-standalone ones through a free vst host I found online. I might use Sonar 8 in the future, but for now that's all I've got.

EDIT; I do need the patch setup/selection that you mention, it's pretty much essential. I'll try out MIDIOX anyway, just to see what it can do.

In my opinion, Brainspawn Forte is worth looking at. It's a super powerful VST'i or DX host with plenty of filtering, routing and programming ability, designed specially for live use. It's 160 euro, though. But when (if) I finally switch to a laptop rig, I'm definately gonna be using it. I have no relation to the company whatsoever. It's just a great product.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Forte is dead easy. I went from not having it installed on my laptop to having four basic scenes set up in my first Forte rack file (Garritan Steinway, Scarbee Wurly direct into Scarbee Vintage Keyboard FX, Scarbee Rhodes into VKFX, and Scarbee Clav into VKFX) in about 40 minutes! Enabling program changes from your controller(s) is a breeze, too.

+1 on the recomendations for Brainspawn Forte. I gig with it on a laptop and 2 controllers as the core of my keyboard setup.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived