Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Summer NAMM?

Steve Nathan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had several kidney stones myself over the years, I'll try to refrain from making too many jokes about the similarities between kidney stone agony and NAMM show attendance.

Sorry I won't see you there but I understand completely.

Get well.

Steve

Having had several kidney stones myself over the years, I'll try to refrain from making too many jokes about the similarities between kidney stone agony and NAMM show attendance.

:idea::D

Get well.

Thanks, Steve! :wave:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Sorry to hear that Dave! Get well.

So even though Summer NAMM is back in Nashville, it's still weak? Some made it seem like it was because it was in Austin a few years ago and that returning to Nashville would fix it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Summer NAMM has always been a poor relation to Winter NAMM, but some Summer NAMMs have been worse than others.

With the economy in recession and some manufacturers pulling out of trade shows altogether, Nashville can only help Summer NAMM so much.

Get well soon, Dave.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Thanks, guys... :)

Yeah, Summer NAMM has been in decline for years. Moving it around didn't seem to help it, nor did returning to Nashville, apparently. people have been branding it a guitar show for years (which I think is a bit goofy), but I'm told neither Fender nor Gibson will be exhibiting there this year...don't know if that's true or not.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled next year.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

That is true. Neither Fender or Gibson will be at Summer NAMM. I'll be there for the day on Friday, Casio isn't exhibiting at the show....although we might have some news.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

If it's not too much trouble, could someone check out the Akai MPK88 keyboard controller? Interested in the physical weight and an opinion on the action.

Also, Akai just introduced some small controllers similar to the Korg Nano line.

Booth 400

Thanks,

Busch

I was scheduled to go, but I'm currently having all kinds of fun with a kidney stone, so it doesn't look likely that I'm gonna make it.

Oh man, oh man. Years ago, a friend of mine who was a seriously tough guy literally passed out from the pain he was going through with a stone. You just reminded me to seriously up my water intake, so thanks for that.

Regarding Summer NAMM: yeah, what everyone said. Trade shows in general are on the decline, and Summer NAMM has always been one of the weaker shows in comparison to the Winter show, to AES, NAB, and other shows in the music/audio/broadcast/entertainment business. I haven't gone since 2003 or so, and haven't missed it much. The only thing I do miss is visiting Nashville, which I think is a great town.

Kurzweil is showing in a hotel suite (Marriott, I think?).

Yeah, I'll miss the BBQ and vibe of downtown, for sure...although I was there last month, and will be there next month again...

It'll be OK, I suppose.

Dave, I don't envy you and your stone.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

I heard a couple of plug-ins today that we're pretty impressive.

"Breverb": incredible sounding reverb with some of the cleanest tails I've ever heard, and an amp sim called TH-1 with great sound and an extensive customizing GUI (things like moving mics an inch closer to the cone or a foot from the cab). The company is called "Overloud". I'll try to pay more attention to details tomorrow.

I also played a Nord E3. I see why so many of you folks like them for gigging. A really decent piano &rhodes, but the organ is the standout. I don't have much need for it, but I see why people love them.

The Focusrite "Liquid" audio interface also looks cool. They do a good job of modeling a number of vintage mic pres. Seems like a good option for project studios with limited gear and small mike collections.

If it's not too much trouble, could someone check out the Akai MPK88 keyboard controller? Interested in the physical weight and an opinion on the action.

Thanks,

Busch

Oh wow, I had no idea this was coming. That looks like something I'd want. Although, why no built-in audio I/O???

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I know that. Just saying it would be handy to have audio IO built-in for live use. This would obliterate the need for and extra audio interface, and leave you with just the laptop and the keyboard. Minimum fuss, minimum cables.

http://www.akaipro.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/20/6af620cb1974cb1c3b3f767cab3347c0/large/mpk88_web_angle_large.jpg

not the hottest babe on the block, but certainly sexier than the dowdy Yamaha KX-8. Hope they'll release audio IO as a cost-option or something.

Looks nice. Audio I/O would certain minimize the need for cables, although, as a product marketed solely as a controller, I wouldn't expect it. It could probably use some more knobs and drawbars/sliders, not to mention knobs with some actual substance and size.

So, could anyone who is going to the show tomorrow get some videos/pictures of the new Nord C2? I'd love to get some new videos, kinda sick of watching the ones on youtube over and over again. I'll probably buy it next week or so.

I was scheduled to go, but I'm currently having all kinds of fun with a kidney stone, so it doesn't look likely that I'm gonna make it. :(

dB

Ouch!

Dave - get well soon, ok?

Not much to get excited over. Yamaha has a couple of new things of interest. One is a pretty expensive sample based piano that looks and feels like the real thing and sounds much better than I expected it to. The "grand" model (N3 I think) retails for 19grand! I actually liked the "upright" (furniture style) better (N2) and it's in the 10K price range with the same sound engine as the bigger one. What made them interesting was the feel. The response is not like most "controller driving software" systems. It was more "real" feeling. Response to soft touch in particular was very impressive.

They also had a weighted 76 key board with sounds that was light weight and full of "bread and butter" sounds. (X70XS)

A decent piano, good rhodes, wurly organs etc and synth as well. Described elsewhere as: Motif engine, stage piano, effects, recorder....

I also hung around the Drumcore booth for a while. As some of you know, I use and endorse their software. I'll just say that Drumcore 3 is an already great product made even better.

Most of the day was spent dodging loud obnoxious guitar/bass/drum playing, with a little but of saying hello to friends. I played that 44 note melodica (underwhelming). I saw some nice stuff at API, and some interesting new low cost microphones, but for keys there was not much to get excited about.

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce

I was scheduled to go, but I'm currently having all kinds of fun with a kidney stone, so it doesn't look likely that I'm gonna make it.

Dave, sorry to hear of your stones. My dad had to deal with that for years. Hoping new medical treatments will speed your recovery.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

Archived