Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The Virtual Choir

DonaldM

A friend of mine forwarded this, as well as participated. Eric Whitacre, a choral director, set up this virtual choir by having all the singers log in via web-cams, and then while watching him direct (and I presume, they downloaded the music score), they each sang into their respective mics. Then it was recorded and mixed. Considering how many different locations and mics and set ups are involved here, its pretty amazing. All you recording afficiandos will appreciate it I'm sure.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An update. My friend informed me that the way this was done was that each singer recorded their part separately and submitted it and then it was compiled into the final piece...which I fine REALLY impressive! A tribute to modern technology and software.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Awesome. Very well done, well edited, very impressive.

I tried to do this a few years ago. The idea was to get a small gospel choir. The first girl did real well, she sent me her wav files and it was great. The next guy did another great job, he recorded a few tracks.

The next girl? She "jammed". She didnt get the whole concept of "choir", she just kinda sang anything she wanted. The next guy? Atonal. It was hideous. I couldnt "bury" him in the mix, it was ridiculous. After that I gave up. :evil:

If you look for it on YouTube, you can actually see some of the individual perfomances by the choir members. Its pretty neat.

Awesome. Very well done, well edited, very impressive.

I tried to do this a few years ago. The idea was to get a small gospel choir. The first girl did real well, she sent me her wav files and it was great. The next guy did another great job, he recorded a few tracks.

The next girl? She "jammed". She didnt get the whole concept of "choir", she just kinda sang anything she wanted. The next guy? Atonal. It was hideous. I couldnt "bury" him in the mix, it was ridiculous. After that I gave up. :evil:

I wonder how it would work now on one of these music collaboration sites, such as Kompoz.com. Did have those around when you tried it the first time?

Archived