Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Self Amusement

jcadmus

You guys ever mess around with a songs arrangement, just to mix things up a little?

Saturday I was at a buddy's wedding reception. Great wedding band -- been together 18 years, covering a full range of styles well.

During the traditional "third set" -- after the old folks have retired, and the younger set wants to dance, they were cutting through the usual classic dance tunes (from ChumbaWumba to Earth Wind and Fire).

When they got to Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music, White Boy." I noticed they were playing something different over the bridge ("And they were dancing, and singing, and moving to the grooving, and just when it hit me...").

Finally, I realized they were playing the changes from Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and I just about bust a gut laughing.

They had probably played that song about a kajillion times, and sometime along the way someone started vamping that over top, and they all said "hey, that's half decent."

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strangely enough after the first verse and chorus of Play That Funky Music, White Boy. anything goes. About the only thing that doesn't change are the lyrics and drums, everything else is full on improvisation.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

We do that every now and then during a worship set... like playing the second verse of Amazing Grace like The House of the Rising Sun, or throwing The Space Cowboy intro and bass line to Lord We Lift Your Name On High

We even did a Hymn with the Crazy Train progression once... didn't go over as well with the more traditional folks but the youth loved it.

It's always fun to mix it up a little like that... keeps them awake during Worship and adds a little variety to the set.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Occasionally we have. Like for instance Play that Funky music. I slap the bassline (one of those rare times I get to slap) as I play it a bit more like the guitar lick. It's not much but it keeps me interested. We also do a slow bluesy version of Ain't No Sunshine. Mainly we do little things that keep it interresting for us and we hope for the audience.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I had an idea to do Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" as a reggae tune, with a havey dub section during the "Japanese announcer" part.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

One of these days you're going to throw some Black Sabbath into a hymn and the Lord will smite you on the spot.
Closest I ever got to that in church was playing the bass line from "Brown-Eyed Girl" under a G-C-G-D progression that was otherwise boring the pi$$ out of me. Only the sound guy, himself a gtr. player an bassist, picked up on it.

I do agree that playing Black Sabbath in church is going the right way for a smiting, taint or otherwise.

The band I just quit was doing "Friend of the Devil" as a reggae tune...

Back in (Catholic) high school, my friend was the bass player that played at the school Masses. One day, he was warming up by playing Iron Maiden's "The Trooper". Got a rise from the students. He was then booted out. Shame.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived