Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2nd bass question - updated

SteveC

I really like my Yamaha BB605. The Barts sound great, it's light, plays great, looks nice, everybody likes it, etc. I am looking for a 2nd bass (just-in-case, backup, maybe a slightly different tone, a little variety) and am not having much luck. When I play another bass - some of them really nice - I always think it's nice, but my Yamaha feels/sounds/whatever better.

I know a guy who will be selling his BB605 after his new custom 5 string arrives. Am I totally off base to be thinking about getting it? I mean, people have more than one P or J or Ray, so why not a pair of BB605's, right? I mean, I have Barts in one, I could leave the 2nd one stock, or go with some other pups and/or preamp. Maybe string it E-C for my jazz gigs.

On one hand it seems silly to have two of the same bass. On the other hand, if it ain't broke...

Be gentle. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, the cost is minimal, really. A couple gigs and it's paid for.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't need it, but you want it, and you think you can afford it.

What was the question?

How many pre-CBS jazz basses does Bobby Vega have? He doesn't need more than one, but he wants them and he evidently can afford them.

How many people have compared you to Bobby Vega, Steve?

yes. get it.

I have a similar dilemma going on myself.. there are 2 Aerodyne jazz basses here on craigslist for good prices... I really am tempted to buy one and upgrade the pickups in it and put maybe some flatwound strings on it, or something like that... I see nothing wrong with having two of the same type of bass, set up just a bit differently... you're comfortable with the BB605, why not have two... then you can set one up passive and one active or something... take care of two issues at once...

how many guitar players have multiple strats or les pauls?

I say go for it.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I only need one bass. I would like to have many basses. I only buy instruments that I can sell for a good profit. That way, the quantiy of basses I have is not an issue. My wife says, "Buy it, buy it" Life is good.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

If I hadn't needed to sell any of the instruments I've owned over the years, I wouldn't have. There are so many I miss, and barring a series of miracles, I'll never own any like them again. That hurts. :cry:

Of course, if I hadn't sold any of them, I'd need to pitch a tent on the lawn of my apartment house, because they and I wouldn't all fit in my apartment... :blush:

There is a jazz bass copy that I sold over 20 years ago. I t was made of Warmoth or somebody's neck & body and some great DiMarzio p/ups. It was named "Thumper" by the guy who put it together. I know that because he put a rather elaborate hippy-dippy decal with the name and mushrooms, vines, gnarly tree roots, etc. on the rectangular hard case it came with. The guy who bought it from me loves it and will never part with it. At the time I sold it, I didn't need a bass and I did need $200. I still wish I had it back.

I'd advise you to put it in it's case and set it aside while you're getting used to your new bass. Then, pick it back up and see if you still like it as much as you did. If so, you don't have to smack yourself on the forehead and say "why, O why did I ever sell my favorite bass?" Even if you don't, it sure doesn't hurt to have a good backup instrument on tap in case you have a problem with your main bass, on and/or off stage.

Bottom lime; You don't need to sell it? Don't. You will very likely wish you hadn't.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

20 years ago, I sold my Fender P-bass, the first bass I ever owned. I've regretted it ever since, even though I have several basses now, I'd still love to have that bass back. Never sell a bass you really like, unless you absolutely have to.

There's nothing wrong with having two similar basses, if they are of the type that you like. Try different pickups, strings, etc, or keep it stock. I'd get a BB if the opportunity arose, they are solid basses.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

There's nothing wrong with having two similar basses, if they are of the type that you like. Try different pickups, strings, etc, or keep it stock. I'd get a BB if the opportunity arose, they are solid basses.

That's what I was thinking. There was one on "the bay" a while ago and I was tempted but didn't pull the trigger. This is a good price and I think I should grab it this time.

if it is a good price and you have the cash, go for it... it can't hurt, and if you decide later you don't really need it, you can always put it up on ebay... or sell it to dcr.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

You "need" two basses.

A cheap one for rehearsals and crappy bar gigs.

A good one for recording and nice gigs.

99% of the audience doesn't even know what a fretless bass is, let alone notice the difference in sound.

Everything after that is for your own pleasure (or to keep up with the guitard player that brings a baker's dozen guitards to every gig).

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

I agree with those who say buy it.

If (God forbid) anything happens to your current bass, you have an identical backup.

Or it could allow you to experiment with strings, pups, preamps, etc. directly coompare the changes to the current bass and be sure your not "hearing with your eyes".

99% of the audience doesn't even know what a fretless bass is, let alone notice the difference in sound.

+1

There's always a reason to have a couple of basses. There's

• The "P" - never goes out of style
  • The "J" - when a "P" just ain't going to cut it
  • The "T" - when you're too good for just a "P" or "J"
  • The "Loaner" - cheap and not sentimental.
  • The "Vintage" - classic good looks for classic rock and country
  • The "Dive" - I'm not taking my good axe out to that bar with the tweakers in it!
  • The "Fiver" - for more modern hard rock
  • The "Goth" - black, insanely beveled and ready for the guitarist's spleenectomy
  • The "Fretless" - for more modern jazz centric music
  • The "AEB" - for those folky/acousitc open mics.
  • The "URB" - for retro jazz, old-school C&W, really old-school rock, or bluegrass
  • The "EUB" - because the URB ain't fitting in your Prius
  • The "Adopted" - man, that was one heluva party - where did this Squier come from? Quick, hide it from Madonna and Angelina!
  • The "18V Active" - for studio work
  • The "Tweaker" - I wonder how these PUPS sound with this bridge...
  • The "Classic" - never leaves the house, but man, does it play!
  • The "Whatta Bargain" - unless the significant other or parent is a musician, face it, they're not going to know if $695US is a good price or not!

There's always another reason for another bass. Some of them might even be valid.

I've just given you enought to go out and buy 16 17 basses. Good luck

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Or it could allow you to experiment with strings, pups, preamps, etc. directly coompare the changes to the current bass and be sure your not "hearing with your eyes".

This is one of the big reasons. I can have the same "feel" with a different sound.

Or I can string it E-C, etc.

I'm leaning to getting it and have something I'm pretty confident I'll like as opposed to getting something I "should" like based on what others are playing/saying.

Actually, I think it's a good idea to have two of the same bass if that kind of bass is important to your "signature" sound. If one goes down you have a backup and most likely won't have to make any changes to the amp and/or PA. Just plug in and go. No learning curves for the muscle memory because it will feel the same. So if it makes sense, get it.

I always wanted to get a second Guild pilot just in case but I couldn't find one or if I did I didn't have the money at the time.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Actually, I think it's a good idea to have two of the same bass if that kind of bass is important to your "signature" sound. If one goes down you have a backup and most likely won't have to make any changes to the amp and/or PA. Just plug in and go.

+1

especially with the active preamp/pickups, if one goes down you don't have to mess with changing a battery mid-song or tweaking your EQ for the passive circuit...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Using my best Richard Dawson voice:

"Survey says, buy the bass."

Why not Steve. Worst case scenario is that you would decide you didn't really want it. Then you could sell it do dcr and he'd be a happy camper.

I've gone through about eight fish in the past few years and right now I have two keepers and a new one on the stringer. If the new one doesn't pass the test I'll employ the 'catch and release' program.

I say go for it, and I hope it works out.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

That's about as far from North Dakota as you can get. Don't worry, another one will show up. String one with rounds and the other with flats. That's how I "justified" my second Fender Jazz.
Push the button Frank.

I had a similar conversation yesterday. I "chastised" one of the Fender reps I was speaking to, saying that if they had not discontinued their Roscoe Beck V string that I might have bought a second one. Because I love that bass that much. But in my case I think I would have strung one with flats and the other with roundwounds.

But then there are cases where I've owned similar instruments. At one point I had 3 Fender Jazz basses. And they all sounded significantly different from one another.

Now do you NEED another instrument? Need is a relative term. Personally, I think if you're going to get another bass, I would go with something different from what you have now. For tonal variety.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Funny--I sold my old BB605 in Australia!

That bass was one of those great experiences: I bought it cheap on eBay, had never played or heard one, took it out of the case & plugged it in ... and BOOM, that thing sounded GREAT. I probably shouldn't have sold it & would have another in a heartbeat. Total sleeper bass.

They are a sleeper bass. I love mine. I think Yamaha makes great instruments.

Maybe this is a sign to not get a similar bass. I am trying to like passive 4's - I've played a number of nice one's lately - but I am not sure. I mean, how can you go wrong with a passive P or J, right?

I played a really nice sounding Road Worn P bass. Great P sound, nice fake wear job, but I don't know if it will fit in with my bands. Maybe it's just me being so used to the active 5 for so long that I don't appreciate the passive 4.

They are a sleeper bass. I love mine. I think Yamaha makes great instruments.

I really like my TRB5 and the new BB struck me as very tone-a-licious from the first time I played it. Yamaha does make quality instruments. Maybe a BB 4 string would be a good choice for you.

IMO Yamaha and Fender basses sound similar. That's the main reason that I sold the Ibanez SR505 because I didn't want to have to change the way I normally play to accommodate the bass, and I really liked the Ibanez. That might be something to consider.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

IMO Yamaha and Fender basses sound similar.

I kind of thought that as well. When I bypass my preamp I get a fairly good passive "J" type sound from my BB605. It does have "J" pups so there you go.

I don't know what I'll do.

Archived