Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for tone control when bypassing active preamp

SteveC

I think I asked about this or something similar before but I can't find the thread.

Instead of buying a Geddy Lee or other passive jazz, I have been experimenting with by-passing the active on-board preamp of my bass - a Bartolini - as I have Bartolini "jazz" pickups. They aren't single coil (I hate the hum) so it isn't exactly the same as a GL, but it's all I can afford right now.

Anyway, when I bypass the active preamp, I only get control of volume and pickup selection - no "vintage tone" control like a Sadowsky or something. I think I would still like a little tone control when I bypass the active preamp.

What are my options? An EQ pedal of some kind I would guess. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you really sure you need the roll off treble tone control?

If you check the tonal range from 100% bridge to 100% neck do you really need that tone control?

Could save you some cash anyway.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Are you really sure you need the roll off treble tone control?

If you check the tonal range from 100% bridge to 100% neck do you really need that tone control?

Could save you some cash anyway.

Davo

Yeah, I think I could use a little more bass/low end - especially with the bridge pickup soloed.

Get an effects pedal with a tone knob. Maybe this is what Geoff is suggesting above. If you can bypass the effect but still use the tone knob, you're getting more bang for your buck. Or maybe a pedal with wet/dry control so you can control how much of the effect while still having access to the tone control.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

You can build a little box with nothing but a tone knob to put inline. Cheap, efficient, hard to mess up. Components: 1 box, 2 jacks, 1 pot, 1 cap, soldier and a couple short lengths of wire. It would be just like having one in the bass. When the preamp is on, turn the knob to 100%. When the preamp is off, adjust to taste.

I think you should have a whole second rig for just that one tone.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

scroll down this page to the bass varitone control.

Put it in a box with input and output jacks.

Seems like you might get some interesting results. I've been meaning to do this for a while.

That's an interesting idea. I was thinking about just getting a Boss GEB-7 or something like that.

Do you want to spend money and get something shiney and exciting that might give you something new? Or do you want minimum spendage that will give you a passive tone control like you'd have on a passive bass? It's a legitimate question and I'm not trying to sound like a smartass. Your answer can make a big difference in our suggestions. If you don't mind spending a few extra bills, Jeremy's suggestion would more than likely work well and give you a few new options if you feel you need them. If you'd rather keep it simple and spend as little as necessary, a simple pot and cap are all that's necessary to gain a "vintage tone control." It'll cost maybe $15 for the parts I listed earlier...Jeremy's suggested route would run $50-$60 (depending on which version you wanted).

Hope that helps...?

I know it's a legit question - especially knowing me.

I don't want to spend a lot or get something shiney and new. When I go passive I loose a little low end. I know it'll sound different from my active mode, and I want that, but it just seems like I need a little low end when I bypass my Bartolini preamp.

I thought a Boss EQ pedal would be a cheap, easy way to do it. I haven't tried building a pedal/box on my own, so that may be fun to try.

A passive tone control won't increase your low end response. It only cuts above it's knee frequency, which gets progressively lower as you turn the knob, which makes it "seem" as though you're boosting the lows.

To actually boost the lows, use an EQ pedal or the knob on your amp.

Have you considered bumping the lows a little on your Shuttle when you switch to passive? They put those knobs there for a reason. ;):D

Yes, I have. :rolleyes::D I guess I like to leave the amp as I may switch between active/bypassed and would like to just tap a pedal or flick a switch rather than "dial in" something.

A passive tone control won't increase your low end response. It only cuts above it's knee frequency, which gets progressively lower as you turn the knob, which makes it "seem" as though you're boosting the lows.

To actually boost the lows, use an EQ pedal or the knob on your amp.

Right. This is why I'm thinking EQ pedal is the way to go. There's also the issue of different output levels which could be resolved with a little boost on the EQ as well while in bypass mode.

Well, I have the active/passive levels about the same after adjusting the internal pot on my preamp so I'm going to just play with it "as-is" for now and see. I suppose I need to get used to the tone in passive mode without the Bartolini preamp "flavor" before I decide anything else.

I say ditch the Bart's for a set of passive Duncans or some such...

Like Quarter Pounders, or Classic or Hot Stacks (if you don't like single coil hum.)

If i may ask, for what reason are you wanting to bypass the onboard preamp? Do you not like the tone, are you just looking for something different or are you preparing yourself for the inevitable battery failure onstage?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

What's the problem with using the TONE CONTROLS on the amp?

Well, I run a pre-EQ DI to the FOH. I like to have "my sound" set before that (on the bass) and make adjustments for the stage/room on my amp for myself as a monitor.

I'm not going to do anything right now and play with the bass the way it is - active and passive - and see what happens.

I say ditch the Bart's for a set of passive Duncans or some such...

Like Quarter Pounders, or Classic or Hot Stacks (if you don't like single coil hum.)

If i may ask, for what reason are you wanting to bypass the onboard preamp? Do you not like the tone, are you just looking for something different or are you preparing yourself for the inevitable battery failure onstage?

DX

I love my Bart/Bart combo for active stuff.

Don't particularly care for Duncan's.

I am trying the bypass just for something different, maybe more "raw/organic" than the Bartolini preamp tone - which I love. I was just thinking "passive jazz" might be a nice change.

I love my Bart/Bart combo for active stuff.

Don't particularly care for Duncan's.

I can understand that... although personally I do like Duncans, and I've never been a big fan of active systems, but maybe I've just never had good luck with them... I have a project I building with a set of active Fender P-Lyte P-J's, so I'm hoping to have better luck with them. (They were $25 on CL so it was hard to pass up.)

It just seems to me that to compensate for the difference between your active and passive systems you would want a completely separate rig, or at least a separate signal chain, on an A/B switch... run the chain for the active side (A) like you normally have it, and run the passive side (B) from the A/B through your EQ pedal and/or whatever else you need (boost etc) straight into the DI or power amp, using an A/B/Y set to Y on the input of the amp... but that would end up being pretty involved for stage use I think.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Archived