Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moderator spam: LA forumites - Police Cars gig

Dave Bryce

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Styx and Stones.

Great name...but then you'd have to play Styx songs... :eek:

Come sail away, came sail away, come sail away with meeeeeeeeeeee... :rolleyes::D

dB

So just play Blue Collar Man and be done with it! I'm not a big Styx fan, but that's one of my favorite songs.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

OK, I've thought about this for a while. Probably not a market for it unfotunately, but I've always wanted to play this collection of bands. Not sure how to classify it, but maybe while all of you are getting creative with names, you could figure out some clever way to tie these together:

Styx

Kansas

Journey

Foreigner

Supertramp

Toto

Queen

etc??? am I making sense? not sure if there is anyway to put these in a box, but somehow they make sense to me. I don't know, kind of late 70's/early 80's ALMOST prog pop with good vocals and keyboards (except maybe Queen on the keys, that's why it's italics). Cars could possibly fit, too, as well as Night Ranger, maybe Yes and Pink Floyd if you pick the couple MOST pop songs of theirs.

Target crowd would be too old to make this successful, but it would be fun.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't know Dan, you have more experience with covers than me, but it seems that some of these bands or ones like them have toured together recently with success. Surely that means there is still a market for them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't know Dan, you have more experience with covers than me, but it seems that some of these bands or ones like them have toured together recently with success. Surely that means there is still a market for them.

yeah - but folks getting a sitter to go see 3 of their favorite bands from back in the day once a year is a different story than a local cover band doing that sort of thing, where you have to get the 20-somethings coming out every weekend.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

OK, I've thought about this for a while. Probably not a market for it unfotunately, but I've always wanted to play this collection of bands. Not sure how to classify it, but maybe while all of you are getting creative with names, you could figure out some clever way to tie these together:

Styx

Kansas

Journey

Foreigner

Supertramp

Toto

Queen

etc??? am I making sense? not sure if there is anyway to put these in a box, but somehow they make sense to me. I don't know, kind of late 70's/early 80's ALMOST prog pop with good vocals and keyboards (except maybe Queen on the keys, that's why it's italics). Cars could possibly fit, too, as well as Night Ranger, maybe Yes and Pink Floyd if you pick the couple MOST pop songs of theirs.

Target crowd would be too old to make this successful, but it would be fun.

Call your band "Super Group" or "Super Band" or "Stadium Band" but not "Supagroup" -- already a band with that name out there -- probably the others too though.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Not related to much of anything other than continuing the cute name volley, but there was an 80's cover band around here composed of a bunch of middle-age guys appropriately called "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Styx and Stones.

Great name...but then you'd have to play Styx songs... :eek:

Come sail away, came sail away, come sail away with meeeeeeeeeeee... :rolleyes::D

dB

:D

There's that. But consider "Mr. Roboto", a much despised but overlooked gem, now sure to be a kitschy dance floor favorite among the kids.

Or you could do an entire theatrical production a la "Waiting for Guffman" with Styx songs.

I'm just trying to help you along here.

yeah - but folks getting a sitter to go see 3 of their favorite bands from back in the day once a year is a different story than a local cover band doing that sort of thing, where you have to get the 20-somethings coming out every weekend.

Dan:

You play in an 80s cover band, but most of the people coming of age in that generation musically are now in their late 30s or early 40s. Put differently, the 20-somethings that are coming to your band's gigs every weekend were probably still in diapers when the music you're playing was big. And yet they come. There's no reason to think that those same 20-somethings wouldn't come see some equally popular music from a half-decade to a decade earlier than the 80s.

Noah

We can't play just any 80's music - in fact a lot of songs that were hot in the 80's would go over like a lead balloon now. 80's music has become popular again, but it's a revised version of the 80's - a characature of it, if you will. I don't see the same thing with the bands that I listed, otherwise, we could actally play some of them if it was stuff in the 80's. I do know of some bands that throw in some of that stuff, but they aren't playing around town too much. The one exception is Journey. We play several Journey songs and they go over great, and I know some Journey tribute bands that go over well. The others, I'm not so sure about - I kind of doubt it.

Dan

There's no reason to think that those same 20-somethings wouldn't come see some equally popular music from a half-decade to a decade earlier than the 80s.

As long as it's AC/DC. :P

I agree with Dan when it comes to 80s music that works for millennials (the term that's kind of sticking for this age group). I'm not in an 80s band but host karaoke for this age group once a week. Their memories of 80s music is very selective, and based not on sales or airplay but on watching MTV and VH1 videos growing up.

Musical footnotes to the decade but with great videos like "Take On Me" and "I Just Died In Your Arms" are big to this generation. And Madonna (of course), and things that look forward to the 90s like "Master Of Puppets" and "Head Like A Hole".

The others, I'm not so sure about - I kind of doubt it.

What works in that context in St. Louis is most likely a little different than what works here in Los Angeles. Just something to keep in mind... there are always regional aspects to trends.

Styx is challenging to pull off because of the keyboards and the unique vocals.

I was in a band that did "Miss America". That was a lot of fun and the Memorymoog was great at pulling that off.

"Come Sail Away" and "Fooling Yourself" are the top two Styx songs I would love to cover.

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...
Styx

Kansas

Journey

Foreigner

Supertramp

Toto

Queen

Add:

Boston

.38 Special

Basically if you have satellite radio, the "Classic Rewind" station (as opposed to Classic Vinyl, which is earlier stuff).

I absolutely despise these pseudo-prog bands, so I am sure you would be incredibly successful....

I absolutely despise these pseudo-prog bands, so I am sure you would be incredibly successful....

For most of the bands on the list, I agree with you...but if you haven't already, you should listen to the early Kansas albums. ain't nothing pseudo-prog about them - they're excellent records. Toto made some pretty decent recordings as well, IMO.

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

For most of the bands on the list, I agree with you...but if you haven't already, you should listen to the early Kansas albums. ain't nothing pseudo-prog about them - they're excellent records..

I agree. I loved their first albums. Very original stuff!

The problem I have with Kansas is that a bunch of the other bands on that list sounded too much like them and so now I can't listen to Kansas either.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Archived