Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MP3 Encoding Ignoramus has a question

I was helping My son with a little project. He has a number of files that were recorded direct to MP3. Some of the files were recorded at 128kbps, and those files are twice as big as we want them to be (most of these spoken word recordings were done at 64kbps). I used Pyro to save the big files at the lower resolution, but the result sounds like someone left a low quality flanger accross the stereo bus. All swishy and blubbery. Can this artifact be avoided? -armand
Rubber Lizard Studio

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the problem with data compression. Render in mono when going to a lower rate. The quality of a mono file at 64 kbs is about the same as a stereo file at 128 kbs. Also, **you don't want to recompress a file that was already compressed.** Get ahold of the original recordings and recompress, or live with the larger size files.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]The quality of a mono file at 64 kbs is about the same as a stereo file at 128 kbs. [/b][/quote]:eek: Did not know this !

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Ah... interesting. I don't want to re-compress... Okay, the original recordings ARE mp3 files encoded at 128kbps. What I am trying right now is this: Imported the mp3 file into SONAR. Sounds good! So I'm Exporting at 64kbps. This is taking a while, as the file is a two hour lecture. When I Imported to SONAR, did the file become a .wav? If not I should have saved it as one. I hope to ditch any re-compression artifacts in this way. Make sense?
Rubber Lizard Studio

[quote]Originally posted by NE-One: [b]Yes, I believe SONAR does convert to .wav.[/b][/quote]Yeap, but Armand, do not expect the MP3 to recover all of its harmonic content.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by Rubber Lizard: [b]I was helping My son with a little project. He has a number of files that were recorded direct to MP3. Some of the files were recorded at 128kbps, and those files are twice as big as we want them to be (most of these spoken word recordings were done at 64kbps). I used Pyro to save the big files at the lower resolution, but the result sounds like someone left a low quality flanger accross the stereo bus. All swishy and blubbery. Can this artifact be avoided? -armand[/b][/quote]If you're putting this on a CD, why compress it further? You can get about 20 hours of stereo 128K MP3s onto a single CD. Another option, since it's only speech, is to use .WMA format. Higher compression than MP3, though I detest what it does to music... A better MP3 encoder than Sonar's is the freeware LAME encoder. Look for RazorLame on Google. It's both faster and sounds better. IMHO.

Thanks, Philbo, Gus, and all. I guess the quality of this project is not all that important, being voice only and non-commercial, but I want to avoid wonky artifacts. So, Gus, while I'd worry about quality if it were one of my songs, I'm not sweating this one. I'm just learning from you guys. I may grab that LAME encoder for future stuff. The one thing I've really learned: The Electrovoice RE20 is a great mic for voice. The folks who make these recording know NOTHING about audio. They turn on the system. Yet the recordings sound quite natural. We now return to our regular off topic program. -armand
Rubber Lizard Studio

A couple interesting things about MP3... * If you render to mono and stereo at the same bit rate, the file sizes will be the same, but the mono one will have better fidelity. This is because the bandwidth is "spent" on better fidelity in the mono sample than splitting that fidelity over two channels. * You can think of a 128 kbps stereo file as consisting of two 64 kbps mono files. (Technically this is not the case, but conceptually it is.) That's why a mono file rendered to 64 kbps will sound about the same as the same file rendered to stereo at 128 kbps. * In the August EQ, my Power App Alley article tells how to add a decent-sounding and FREE MP3 encoder to Sonar.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b] * In the August EQ, my Power App Alley article tells how to add a decent-sounding and FREE MP3 encoder to Sonar.[/b][/quote]Craig - That was a GREAT issue! I still need to download & evaluate that encoder... Maybe there's opportunity for a tech-head (lab measurements) type encoder shootout EQ article? (I suppose it's been done already, but new encoders seem to keep popping up here & there...) Phil

Archived