Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul Reed Smith Amps

Strategery

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're worthwhile for Derek Trucks to be interested enough to do that, then I'll hafta look into 'em; they must be decent amps...

"Not looking for an amp... "

I would think that you wouldn't be! Not for a while anyhow, after having gotten that Tungsten, and that Egnater... ! :rawk::thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was both the Allmans and DTB a couple weeks ago... DT plays through the PRS amp during the Allman shows but for his DTB rig is still the 2 Fender Super Reverbs.

Finally some info on the amps are on the PRS website...

http://www.prsguitars.com/amps/index.html

Interesting is that they are making a 4x10 cabinet... I assume that's what DT uses (similar to the Super Reverb)

PRS press release...

PRS Guitars Debuts Tube Amplifier Line at Winter NAMM 2009

After nearly four years of close collaboration with master amp designer Doug Sewell, PRS Guitars introduces the highly anticipated PRS tube amp line at Winter NAMM.

I met Doug Sewell at the Dallas International Guitar Show several years ago and needed an amp for that evenings performance, so I borrowed one of his and was floored, said Paul Smith. We started working on this series and tried every conceivable component and circuit combination. Derek Trucks, David Grissom and several other known amp tone artists are now using this new amplifier line both live and in the studio. Were pleased to be working with Doug and to have him leading the PRS amp team.

Paying homage to both classic American as well as British amps, Sewell and Smith directed the PRS team to produce a line that covers the needs of varied playing styles while providing some uniquely different tonal possibilities.

The Dallas, Blue Sierra, and Original Sewell models make their official appearance at 2009 NAMM in Anaheim.

Producing clean tones that overdrive nicely, the Dallas harkens to the classic American reverb amps with more useable gain and slightly fuller midrange. Its percussive attack, sweet highs, and solid lows produce open, three-dimensional tone and huge sounding cleans.

Guitarists seeking classic British and American tones with what Doug Sewell calls Texas attitude will likely latch on to the Blue Sierra. With gain structured for equally great cleans to medium gain overdrive tones, the Blue Sierra works well with both single coils and humbuckers. Medium gain settings allow aggressive cleans to crunch easily and are controllable with pick attack.

Recalling 50s American amps but with very wide gain structure, the Original Sewell model PRS amp provides expressive tone centering in the medium to medium high range. Tones are warm and harmonically rich giving an expressive quality to lead work. Smoothness is emphasized with sweet highs and tight lows surrounding a fat, warm midrange.

The PRS line of amps will be prominently displayed at NAMM in PRS booth #5320 and demonstrated at performance volume in the PRS Studio (on the second floor of the Anaheim Convention Center - room # 212). Amp demonstrations are scheduled in the PRS Studio at 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. A special press only new product demonstration is scheduled in the PRS Studio room #212 at 3:00 p.m. directly following the PRS Guitars new products press conference scheduled for 2:00 3:00 p.m. on Friday in booth #5320.

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Allman+Brothers+Band+Eric+Clapton+Perform+Bp0oQokSqaZl.jpg

http://www.livemusicblog.com/photos/ryan-barkan/DSCF8647%20copy.jpg

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

I was both the Allmans and DTB a couple weeks ago... DT plays through the PRS amp during the Allman shows but for his DTB rig is still the 2 Fender Super Reverbs.

I wonder how much of that is driven by endorsement deals and not so much tone choices...

...at this level of the game?

No...heck no, I'm not looking for an amp. :D

That's how it always begins... :)

Seems like as soon as you get one amp...next thing you know, there's already another one to check out.

It's a sickness... ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Yeah, and possibly just road testing to check them out? You cannot put too much stock in what you see on one tour or leg of a tour, you need long term participation.

In terms of DT, I don't like his sound, so I don't care. Too distorted for me.

But Sewell has a good rep.

Still, never buy version 1.0 of anything.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yep! We are always looking even when we are not looking! :grin: I'd be curious to see if they will be at summer NAMM this year. I am of the same mind set as Bill, though. I generally shy away from first year model stuff. But as they say, YMMV.

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

Just looked at the Sweetwater catalog online. Looks like the starting point for the Amp Head or Combos is $3000 - pretty much the high end of the Sweetwater selection. BUT they are not in stock.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c623--Paul_Reed_Smith--Guitar_Amp_Heads

I wonder how much of that is driven by endorsement deals and not so much tone choices...

I don't think that his tone changes all that much when he plays through different amps, because in all of his videos on youtube and his records, his tone is more or less similar. I think his tone is a bit throatier through the PRS heads though, but that could just be the 4x12.

Seems like as soon as you get one amp...next thing you know, there's already another one to check out.

It's a sickness... ;)

Tell me about it. Two weeks ago, I got my new Hughes and Kettner, and even though I love that amp, and will likely keep if for awhile (it is very tweakable) I still also want an old Boogie Mark IV.

I don't think that his tone changes all that much when he plays through different amps, because in all of his videos on youtube and his records, his tone is more or less similar. I think his tone is a bit throatier through the PRS heads though, but that could just be the 4x12.

I definetly agree with you on the "throatier" call for the PRS amps, but...

I was looking at that ABB pic I posted earlier, with DT and EC, I kind of thought that the PRS speaker cab looked a bit smaller than a typical 4x12 cab. Turns out that the PRS cabinet is a 4x10 open back. PRS doesn't offer a production 4x12! I guess DT is used to his 4x10 Super Reverbs!

http://www.prsguitars.com/4x10openback/img/front.jpg

4x10 Open Back

For a different dynamic, we offer the Paul Reed Smith 4x10 Open Back cabinet. This cabinet features 4 Celestion G10 Greenback 10" speakers, has an 8 ohm impedance and can handle up to 120W.

Features

* Vintage solid pine construction

* Celestion G10 Greenback speakers

I definetly agree with you on the "throatier" call for the PRS amps, but...

I was looking at that ABB pic I posted earlier, with DT and EC, I kind of thought that the PRS speaker cab looked a bit smaller than a typical 4x12 cab. Turns out that the PRS cabinet is a 4x10 open back. PRS doesn't offer a production 4x12! I guess DT is used to his 4x10 Super Reverbs!

http://www.prsguitars.com/4x10openback/img/front.jpg

4x10 Open Back

For a different dynamic, we offer the Paul Reed Smith 4x10 Open Back cabinet. This cabinet features 4 Celestion G10 Greenback 10" speakers, has an 8 ohm impedance and can handle up to 120W.

Features

* Vintage solid pine construction

* Celestion G10 Greenback speakers

Wow, I thought that was just a compact 4x12.

Archived