Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sunday Morning Gas

moot

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For another $20 you can get the one with humbuckers and more knobs from musiciansfriend.

This is the 5 string version of what dcr's been looking at (and recently pulled the trigger on, IIRC).

The bass certainly nice looking, but I'm not sold on the whole AIR thing. Other than Yamaha, has there been a unbiased or clinical look at this technology? I'm not much of a believer in the customer comments of AMS (or any other on-line store's for that matter). For all I know, "5-String Mike" may be a Yami shill and if AMS were to offer a flaming bag of dog poop, some punk rocker from Michigan would give it 5 stars.

(I use Michigan only because it was a punk rocker from Michigan who gave 5 stars to that travesty of a guitar stand and subsequent waste of natural resources called the "Rock Stand 5" by Warwick)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Of course I would love to get my hands on one but, given my locale . . .

My problem is, out of 9 guitars I have no back-up electric 5. Embarassing I know. I need something cheap and functional.

I'm likin' this too.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

MusicGearReview.com did a review on the fist bass to use the tech in 2007. So, it's been around for two years. And Yami isn't in the habit of pushing junk.

$350 for an emergency 5-stringer isn't intorlerable. I'd be interested in seeing YOUR review.

I have nothing against Ibanez (my son loves their guitars) but I've always viewed them as "I might as well either spring an extra hunnerd or two and buy a Fender, or save a hunnerd or two and buy a Squier". But, I'm letting my Fender bias show.

I've never played an Ibanez that sucked, but I've never had one blow me away, either.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Of course I would love to get my hands on one but, given my locale . . .

So, you saying you live in Quebec?

May as well - I drove 45 minutes to a reasonably large chain store yesterday and they were closed. At 6:45 p.m. Shameful.

Bruiser: That video review by Ed is killer. I think he could make a dead cat sound good. The bass sounds a lot like a Fender.

Rizz: I have lusted after the Tony Levin OLP. I can't get past the color.

Flank my darling: I have played several Ibanez basses and own Ibanez guitars.

My favorite bass is the SR505 but right now my budget doesn't have room for it.

I may pre-order the SRX tomorrow.

Thanks all

Addendum: I just called to find out when stock is expected. The man said 2-28. :freak:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Hooboy. Talk about Sunday morning GAS! I went out and came home with one of these!

http://elderly.com/images/fmic/55N/F50SPB-2SB_front.jpg

My first Mexican Fender, and it plays really nice. And for 5 bills the price was very, very right.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I went out and came home with one of these!

Very nice. The finger rest and pickup cover screw holes are interesting. I'd think those would go along with preworn scuffs and missing paint...

Please, I don't think I'd fall in for that road worn nonsense unless I had money to burn! This is the Mexican Fender 50's P-Bass. Interestingly enough, it came with the chrome pickup cover, but no bridge cover or the finger rest.

As soon as I got it home I put on some flats. Add some sponge to go under the strings near the bridge and it's got some old school funk to it.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Nick - nice!

I came across a P/J like that once - red with the same pickguard. It was very sweet, not very expensive, and I came close.

Enjoy it!

All the Yamaha Air talk makes me want to try one.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

You would be correct, but that Ashland(?) P-bass was played on a little New Year's Eve impromptu jam at a friends house to ring in 09.

I still want a Precison. I mean, I already have a set of flats, so I'm 3/4 of the way there right? :D

Beautiful P Bass, Nick! :love: The MIMs have really come up in the world. Nice.

As for the "AIR" Yamaha, mine arrived today! (That was quick!) It does not disappoint, that's for sure. It came set up well, although I lowered the action to my liking a bit. Didn't need to tweak the truss rod. Hardware seems of good quality: the pots turn smoothly, the bridge is easy to adjust, and the tuners seem really solid. It is very lightweight, as advertised, and even with a cheapo strap I really haven't fought any neck dive. Now, this is a $250 bass, but even so the fit & finish is pretty good, and best of all I'm happy with the pickups & electronics. The stock strings are nice (don't know what brand), nickel-plated steel with silk wrappings at the tuner end; no need to replace them until they wear out.

So how does it sound? Bang-o! Very good. If my Rickenbacker 4004 had sounded this good, I would have kept it. :D Good sustain, very consistent, and a nice, balanced tone. It sounds like a growly passive Yamaha is supposed to. It's also very playable, just about effortless. For the money, I just can't imagine it can be beat.

And as promised, a sound clip: Click me! The clip is (1) slight neck pickup roll-off & slight tone roll-off (the magic J Bass combo), (2) everything full up, and (3) everything full up played with a pick. No EQ, no nothing, just a cable straight into a digital recorder.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. I might keep it to play around on & maybe share with the young'uns, then again I may defret it... (Seems a shame, though, considering how well the frets were done.)

Like Ed said, "It really works!"

(PS I've noticed that a Yamaha can pretty much nail Abe Laboriel's (gorgeous!) tone on Donald Fagen's "New Frontier." Anyone know what he played on that one--was that when he was playing a Yamaha BB?)

Archived