Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another FP4 vs. FP7 Question.....

surreal mccoy

I did a search, but didn't find my answer.

For those that have compared these two boards, is there any difference within the actual piano/ EP voices (I realize the FP4 has less)? Are the internal speakers the same? I've had the opportunity to sample an FP7 but not an FP4. The lighter weight and internal speakers are of interest to me. I'm not really interested in the "session partner" or voice layering......only simple piano & EP w/ split bass for solo Jazz gigs. Does this board sound like the right one for me, or are there other better choices that I'm just not aware of...?

Thanks ahead......

Alan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been comparing these two alot, side by side. In my humble opinion, the FP4 is OK, but the FP7 is great...superior in touch and sound (especially the piano and EP patches). The speakers are almost certainly bigger. I'm sold on the FP7 as my dream instrument - but sadly will probably pass because it's just too heavy to be practical for my gigging needs.

I'm probably going w/ the RD300gx over the FP4.

good luck,

steviekeys

mccoy, between those two, the FP7 and FP4, the differences are the action, the LCD display, price, weight, and a few features.

The output sounds are identical. Not just similar, but identical. The FP7 has slightly more refined sounding internal speakers, so it sounds a little cleaner. But when I A/B'd them a while back, strangely the FP4 speakers are actually louder. I went with the FP4 for the lighter weight and price.

Live, I find that my FP4 internal speakers add a perfectly balanced intimate stereo sound field for my benefit. I don't feel they are quite loud enough to project on their own for gigs without at least a little amp to supplement them. The benefit is that for me the internal speakers add a perfect stereo sound field that enables me to feel very connected to the sound that I am playing. When I turn Off the internal speakers I feel quite disconected from my sound, the sound becomes divorced, it feels so far away and odd coming from from a speaker box dettached from my instrument.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Are the FP4 internal speakers convincing enough to use at a quiet, intimate gig?

If it's a very soft, total background gig, the internal speakers can cut it. But if people will be listening, you'd want more tone than the internal speakers give you. You can turn the internal speakers off, but there's no reason to ever do that - they enhance the sound and feel when you play.

Thanks again....now if I can only locate one to demo..... :idea:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lot2learn

Lots2Learn's Youtube channel

I'm at work and they have it blocked. Search his clips he has both the FP4 and 7. Great Player

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Yeah, his clips are very good, and I have several tunes on FP4 here in the reharm room thread and in original compositions.

Good luck in finding one to personally demo though... most stores just carry the FP7. So if you try the FP7, the action and layout is different, but the sounds from all the outputs are the same as the FP4. Use headphones and you'll hear the FP4.

Archived