Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harp amp?

Danzilla

Does anyone have experience using a "harp amp" for guitar?

I was looking at the web site of a semi-local store, that specializes in used gear. One amp they had caught my eye- a Meteoro 20 watt tube combo. Looked them up on HC; it's a Brazillian company with a decent reputation (but no reviews on this model). I got off of work a little early Friday, and checked it out.

http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/Gear/2021037/p1_uterg2yai_st.jpg

It is marked as being a harp amp. Simple controls- volume, tone, reverb; 2 EL84's and 2 12AX7's; and Meteoro 8" speaker. I used an Ibanez Artcore AF105, strung with flatwounds; and a Hamer solidbody (don't recall the model; 2 SD humbuckers)- both were a joy to play, and for the low price of the Hamer, it's really tempting. I was impresed with the amp- definitely something to "play the volume knob" to clean it up. Full out, it has a nice drive, not too brittle when the tone is dimed; the full range of the tone knob is usable and brings out the different nuances of each guitar. Almost no hum on this thing, either. The semi-closed back helps with the low end. The reverb is usable- not too "over the top". Construction seemed pretty solid on the amp, except for the back panel that covers the tubes and part of the speaker- almost seemed more like cardboard than plywood.

I'm tempted, as what I'm looking for is a 30 watt-or-less tube amp, that's portable; mostly for home use and recording. If I needed to play it live, I'm sure I could easily mic it. I like it better than the Fender Pro jr and Blues Jr.

That said, I also played a nice Laney LC 50 II 50 watt combo that was mighty nice. Having 2 channels with full EQ certainly gives it a bit of edge and versatility over the Meteoro; but it really is more amp than I want or need. If I could find a 30/20/15 watt version of this- at a good price- I might be swayed. I've also found a used Peavey Valveking 1-12 combo that I really like. Decissions, decissions...

So, what this all boils down to is... does anyone else use a harp amp, and what are the pros and cons? Or has anyone else used a Meteoro amp? Are they reliable?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the short answer is, "harp amps" are essentially low or medium wattage guitar tube-amps, often based on or influenced by vintage "Tweed" fenders. I know that several times harmonica players have asked me if I'd sell them one of the small, quirky vintage tube-amps that I've got kickin' around (late '50s/early '60s Harmony 1x6V6 1x10" combo, Silvertone 2x6V6 "head" made from a 1x12" combo, ?-vintage 2x6V6 mono power-amp by "The Radio Craftsmen"), as well as my "blackface" Fender Pro Reverb 2x12" combo. Ya take an amp like that, ya plug a "green bullet" type mic into it, ya crank it to the point of clean or overdriven sound that ya want, ya blow onna a harp. If ya want it louder and/or cleaner, ya get a Bassman 4x10" or bandmaster 3x10" stylee. Not much different from guitar duties, huh?

The guy to talk to- I'd PM him- would be Zach Pomerleau, youthful gigging blues harpist and guitarist (and- doesn't he sing, as well?) and all-around nice guy.

He's mentioned looking to get something from Harp Gear amps; maybe you might e-mail them and ask about double-duty performance characteristics for harmonica and/or guitar...

EDIT: Aaahh, here's a quote from the Harp gear "F.A.Q." 'page:

Q. Do your amplifiers work for guitar?

A. Absolutely. I have numerous guitar players who have bought and use my amplifiers for professional shows. The tone is still great whether it be for harp or guitar.

Note that many, if not all, of their designs use 8" speakers; I believe they're Webers...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

They are asking $270; I think I can talk them down a couple of bucks. Not a lot, but a couple. The dilemma to me, then, is that the used Valveking is $299. Not a whole lot more money for more amp. The Meteoro is more portable, and the EL 84's make a difference (I think so); but I do like the Valveking.

Of course, if my pattern continues, I'll hem and haw and end up not buying either; or making a decision and finding that it's just been sold. I'm kind of a reverse- SteveC that way. :whistle: (Love ya, Steve)

NEW band Old band

I play. Those 12AX7's may be a feedback issue. You pretty much gotta see if you can crank that thing. But, people to ask would be Brian Purdy from www.harpgear.com or possibly Sonny Jr or Greg Heumann from www.blowsmeaway.com. You should also check out the speakers, Alnico is probably best and with a smooth cone for quicker break up. There is definitely a lot to it I know and I barely know a thing about amps as is! Hope this helps a little though!

Cav, thanks for the plug. It is with a K though, jeeze! hahaha. But, on the bigger amps, that doesn't mean they will be clean. The older guys like Little Walter and Butterfield used various amps. Little Walter most likely played through a Danelectro with like 8 8"s or something. Paul played through TWO Super Reverbs (I have gotten to play through one of his) and they are pretty clean, but Bassman's definitely can break up, but at a louder volume. Of course, Jason Ricci uses the HarpGear 50. He has lots of pedals which help him drive it quicker and he definitely has got some tone (and some skills that could actually beat a good Guitarist). Personally I would like the HarpGear 35 as it is loud for louder gigs but can break up easy enough with or without a booster pedal. Now, if you REALLY want that old Harp sound you need to either get a small amp (Champ, etc) or an old Tube P.A. like a Masco. Of course, that tone can be gotten from bigger amps, older amps, but of course your mileage may vary. I have heard people get the same tone from a Bassman as from a Champ, and in my opinion if you are serious about it you should own a bigger amp and a smaller one. If you used a Bassman or bigger HarpGear or something you will be able to use a Guitar through it, too, but would probably really need to get the treble up or use a treble booster because those amps are made to attend to the bassier side of notes for that pre-defined harp honk sound. But, if you got more questions P.M. me, or talk to Brian Purdy (mention my name, please, it might get me brownie points or something!!!). Have fun playing!!!

OH! And another note to add to Cav's comment, the RockBottom HarpGear is a 10" speaker, the tweed HG2 is unknown to me, the Double Trouble has 2 8"s, and the others have 2x10"s and 4x10"s respectfully. I WANT that 35, but that Double Trouble is tempting, too. I can deal with 35 pounds, but 20 would rock, too. Trust me, it is tough being a Harmonica player!

Thanks for the info, guys. But to clarify- I'm not looking for a harp amp to play harp; I found this tube amp that is marketed as a harp amp, and want to use it for guitar. I'll look into the Harp Gear site for general info, but I'm not looking to buy a harp amp for the sake of haveing a "harp" amp (just possibly this Meteoro one).

NEW band Old band

Archived