Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody play "Eclouge" by Finzi?

Jazz+

I am learning composer Gerald Finzi's "Eclogue" from a two-piano version of the score, I am making it into a one piano version. Anybody else dealt with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIS6mmvtu2k&feature=related

Gerald Raphael Finzi (July 14, 1901 September 27, 1956) was a British composer. Born in London of Italian Jewish and German Jewish descent, Finzi nevertheless became one of the most characteristically "English" composers of his generation. Despite being an agnostic, he wrote some inspired and imposing Christian choral music.

The number of Finzis purely instrumental works is small even though he took great pains over them in the early part of his career. He began what is believed to have been intended as a piano concerto. This was never finished or given a title, but after his death his publisher gave two of the individual movements names and published them as the separate works Eclogue and Grand Fantasia and Toccata.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice piece - I've got a two-piano version which my father-in-law and I have played through a couple of times, rather raggedly.

Strangely enough, I have a connection with the Finzi family, having done quite a bit of work for one of Gerald's two sons, Nigel, who was a concert violinist but nowadays runs a construction company in Dubai, and for Nigel's wife Jo.

One of the fruits of that collaboration is the official Gerald Finzi website. There's a page on there which gives details of upcoming performances of Gerald's work so if you ever get round to performing Eclogue, Jazz+, let me have the details and I'll make sure it gets a mention!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Really very nice. Thanks for posting that video Jazz+, I'd never heard the piece before. (I recognize the name, pretty sure I've accompanied something written by him.. clarinet pieces maybe)

Well, I hope we can hear you play this sometime!

And what a connection! Out of the blue. Thanks for sharing that story, Aidan.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Gangsu, the piece you probably have in mind is the Five Bagatelles for Clarinet and Piano, though probably his most enduringly popular piece is the Concerto for Clarinet and Strings.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived