Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finger-ease

Ron G

Finger Ease Guitar String Lubricant: Is this worth trying? the problem I have is when I have to slide with my index finger from D on the A string to C or B while playing 16th notes it's like my hand puts on the brakes. I'm working on playing more relaxed.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a small can of that spray stuff, but don't remember the name. It feels like spray silicone, but it's in a smaller can. Most days I don't need it, but sometimes at a muggy gig my hands and strings will get real sticky and I won't be able to slide around, and my rag with baby power doesn't do the trick either. THis stuff does the trick for me in those conditions. I figure it's the last can of it I'll have to buy unless I lose this can; as a little spray goes a long way.

I have yet to spray it on the underside of a frisbee to see if it's equivalent to silicone spray. Any fresbee players out there?????

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I have yet to spray it on the underside of a frisbee to see if it's equivalent to silicone spray. Any fresbee players out there?????

Hmmm, gives me an idea...maybe I'll spray it on a plastic garbage can lid and go sledding down the snowy hills of Queens.

snowy hills of Queens.

Snow in Queens? Y'd better get down on it before it all melts!

And I can't for the life of me think of where there is a hill in Queens! IIR, it's pretty flat.

Finger Ease Guitar String Lubricant: Is this worth trying? the problem I have is when I have to slide with my index finger from D on the A string to C or B while playing 16th notes it's like my hand puts on the brakes. I'm working on playing more relaxed.
What kind of strings are you using?

Are you talking about sliding down in pitch (a short distance) or up in pitch (a long distance)?

Slides can be deceptive. They're usually the first "trick" we learn because they look so easy. To play them with precision, though, requires a bit of study and practice.

I don't think that comes in a spray can. ;)

(I don't use that stuff. I tried it once but it just felt weird having something come between my fingertips and the strings.)

snowy hills of Queens.

And I can't for the life of me think of where there is a hill in Queens! IIR, it's pretty flat.

Um, Forest Hills? I see a Christmas Vacation flashback.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

When your playing rub your finger against the side of your nose and let your natural body oil work for you.

Many years back I use to put a little bit of vaseline on my strings which also worked.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

snowy hills of Queens.

Um, Forest Hills? I see a Christmas Vacation flashback.

I live in College Point; very, very hilly.

Ah, it's all coming back to me. Back in the mid 80's I dated a girl who lived in Forest Hills; F train, if I recall. She did live on a hill. More interesting, she was an audio engineer at NBC. I got to go see SNL, Letterman, Donahue, etc. Got to go to some of the SNL after-parties. Oddly, they were very boring for me; I was a nobody, and so nobody wanted to chat with me. But I did get Sam Kinison's autograph. Ahgggggg!

Yup. But Phil Donahue could sure put on a show. That's were I got Linus Pauling's autograph. He's dead also. Linus, not Phil.

Elmhurst has a little hill also.

Chicken grease has always worked well for me.

Rocky

Just eat fried chicken before the gig. Good enough for Jamerson, good enough for us.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived