Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate Keys Expansion Board vs. PC3

SMcD

How good are the synth/clav/EP sounds on the Ultimate Keys SRX card? I was thinking about getting a Roland RD-700GX for piano and a Kurzweil PC3 for synths and other things, but for cost reasons, I'm considering simply using the SRX card with the Roland for the non-piano/organ sounds. Are the sounds on the card good enough to justify not getting the second board?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How good are the synth/clav/EP sounds on the Ultimate Keys SRX card?

I wasn't impressed with SRX-07 in my RD700GX and I returned it. It sounded dated.

I want to try also Classic EP's since I'm no happy with GX electric pianos.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I just sold my Roland RD 700sx and Motif for a Kurzweil PC3. I think the Rhodes and Wurlies are very good on the PC3. I never liked much of the EPs on the Roland and the Motif I liked better but still not as much as the PC3. Once or twice I played with the Ultimate SRX and was not impressed. YMMV

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

The synth sounds get a pass with some folks on the 07, I don't know. But I can testify that the EP are poor on the Ultimate Keys SRX card 07 I used to own. They crowded too many sounds on one card, thus heavy compression.

The Rhodes on the SRX-12 are pretty good although rather jumpy in response.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Jazz+, I think you meant the SRX-12? May yet spring for one of those, though other priorities await, having decided to stick with my current rig.

SMcD, having listened carefully to the Roland demos, I have to agree that the majority of sounds on those cards are pretty underwhelming. The only two that really interest me are the 12 mentioned above and the 6, Complete Orchestra.

The others might have impressed me three or four years ago, but not now, having owned a Motif XS. I'm afraid the PC3X remains unchartered territory for me - I was planning to go down the same road as Hookie, but for various reasons, enumerated on another thread, decided to stick with what I had, so cancelled my planned demo of the Kurzweil.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

How good are the synth/clav/EP sounds on the Ultimate Keys SRX card? I was thinking about getting a Roland RD-700GX for piano and a Kurzweil PC3 for synths and other things, but for cost reasons, I'm considering simply using the SRX card with the Roland for the non-piano/organ sounds. Are the sounds on the card good enough to justify not getting the second board?

I think the SRX07 sounds will fall short. There are about 10

' keepers', 15 'somewhat useful ' patches

certainly, its a cheap experiment for you to pick up a used Srx07. You can sell it close to what you paid for it if it doesn't round out your sound pallette

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The consensus here seems to be that the PC3x will do everything that the 07 can, but far better.

What if I just skipped the RD-700GX entirely? Is the acoustic piano section on the PC3x good enough to justify that?

Piano sounds are so subjective that only you can answer that one. I think the one thing I can say with some certainty is you won't currently find a better keybed than the RD-700GX. Could you live with the Kurz, given all its other undoubted attractions? Again, it's over to you...

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

All the waveforms in SRX-07 were ported directly over from 1990's vintage SRJV cards. Some are still good but most have really fallen behind contemporary offerings.

I wouldn't purchase a PC3 without playing it first. I still haven't met up with one firsthand but if, as reported, the piano waves are the old triple strike wavesets from previous Kurzweil boards they're also getting old. I never liked the triple-strike piano for live performance anyway but if you are already familiar with it you know what you are getting into.

I own the PC3X (also a PC2X) - the piano actions are different feeling - although age and use may have been some factor. The PC3X feels different, does not make small clunking sounds like the PC2X. I use the PC3X daily in practice on classical piano, currently working on some of the easier pieces of Chopin. I really like the PC3X action - it gives me a lot of control.

Sound wise, although both did come from the same 2" analog tape master that Kurzweil made a number of years ago - I personally find a considerable difference in the acoustic piano sounds. No - not like the difference between a Kurzweil and Yamaha CP300, but the newer one just seems to be closer in nailing the real sound of an acoustic - it has more depth, the treble range from an octave above middle C to 3 octaves above middle C sustains when held or pedalled longer than the PC2X pianos - not reverb sound, but strings taking longer to decay. Each version of the operating system has brought various improvements, so be sure the one you try has at least v1.30 OS (there should be another relase in the very near future primarily to fine-tune some of the clonewheel-leslie sound).

I have not used my PC3X with the band yet, I use a 76key PC2 and either K2000 or K2661 in the band. This is not because of the sound not cutting through, SOME of the patches seem to have the ability tu cut through, others are better for solo work. It is because I don't want to carry the PC3X back and forth when the smaller keyboards are lighter and easier to move. I'm looking forward to comparing the smaller PC3's (61 & 76 key) with the NAMM announced LE versions - I think I could live with less polyphony and less editing capability in live play than in my studio setup.

Of course, as several have said, it depends on individual preference for piano sound. It is at the very least worth trying. BTW - as also commented in another thread - the PC3 series comes alive with the right amplification, but keyboard amps ain't it.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I get the feeling that he's contemplating doing just that... buying without in in person audition. Maybe because he's in Winnipeg.

If I were stuck in a remote area, for a purchase this big, I'd buy a $200 plane trip to Calgary, Toronto... wherever there is a large selection of keyboards to play firsthand. Flying is cheap right now and it would be less than 10% of the purchase price.

If you make any money playing music you could write it off. And a nice vacation.

Winterpeg isn't the end of the world, but some think it's close!

Seriously though Winnepeg is renowned for its music scene and has stores to support it. There's a Long & McQuade store in Winnepeg, I'd start there. The PC3X is gonna be a popular board so it's likely they'll bring at least one in for display. Even if they don't they may be able to transfer a unit for tryout from one of their other stores, especially if they know you're serious about buying.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I own an SRX-07 card. The clav, EP, and organ sounds are definitely an upgrade from the sounds that come with the base Roland XV unit. The SRX-07 also has tolerable patches for trumpet and tenor sax (I was able to tease the vibrato out of the solo trumpet and tenor sax patches based on advice I got in this forum).

I am only a doubler on keyboard, so the SRX-07 fills my needs very nicely. But I would not consider it to provide great sounds for the clav, EP or organ, especially if you are a "real" keyboard player.

I'm getting an SRX-07 for my sonic cell as it has about 3 each nice EP, organ and clav sounds and that is all I need. (Plus a few decent electric bass and synth bass sounds, too.) Don't know how much of an upgrade over the RD-700 they are, though, as I've only spent a short time with that board.

BTW - Any Cornerite disappointed with his or her SRX-07 card should dust it off and PM me for a quick sale

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Archived