Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for a gig? Here's the guy you NEED to know

DonaldM

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Steve

I know you're a union guy. That's great. I wish that were a viable option for me.

Here in Indianapolis we have AFM Local No. 3. You wanna know how effective it is? Virtually completely ineffective. The ONLY reason it's still around is because of the Symphony and some industrial recording stuff.

The Union around here, and many other places, spent too much time trying to protect the gigs of guys working in dying genres instead of embracing new music like that oh so recent development, rock and roll. Yeah, 50 plus years ago, many Union locals refused to accept rock and roll and various other 'modern' styles and a result the Union signed it's own death warrant.

Anymore, they don't care to do anything other than collect dues. Now if there were any appreciable benefit to joining, then I'm sure more folks would join, but outside of just a couple of markets in this country the Union has no power, no pull, and no desire to have any. I've been playing for a living for almost 20 years and in that time the Union has never approached me to join, never approached me about work, never approached me in any way, shape or form. This isn't that big of a town, and there aren't that many keyboard players much less full time musicians that the Union couldn't have taken a few minutes out of any one of the approximately 7000 days its had since I hit the scene to give me some reason, ANY reason to join. Why should I care if they don't? Why should I bother if they don't? Until there is a good reason to join, there is no reason for me to join - they offer me nothing other than a place to spend a couple hundred dollars a year with no return on investment. I wish it were different...

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived