Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DVD burning speeds...

I keep watching DVD +/-R/W burners dropping in price. They've gotten to be quite inexpensive, so I am considering adding one to the computer... but my main concern is speed. Right now I run a 48 X Sony CD-RW, which can back up the typical Pro Tools song in under five minutes. Obviously I wind up "spanning" the backup over two (and sometimes three) disks, but it's not all that much of a hassle. Still, the larger storage capacity of a DVD disk would be welcome - but I don't want to have to go back to waiting forever for backups to finish. So, I'm curious: What's the current data write rate for DVD drives? Anyone know? Suggestions and comments are, as always, welcomed. :wave:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is how Pioneer specs their well-regarded [url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_17221_1984060,00.html]DVR-A06U [/url] Write Speed DVD-R 4x*2, 2x*3, 1x CLV (5.54MB/s) DVD--RW 2x*4, 1x CLV (2.77MB/s) DVD+R 4x*5, 2.4x CLV (5.54MB/s) DVD+RW 2.4x CLV (3.32MB/s) CD-R 16x, 12x, 8x, 4x CLV (2.4MB/s) CD-RW 10x*5, 4x CLV (1.5MB/s) Read Speed DVD-ROM (single) Max 12x CAV (16.62MB/s) DVD-ROM (dual) Max 8x CAV (11.08MB/s) DVD-R, DVD-RW Max 6x CAV ( 8.31MB/s) DVD+R, DVD+RW Max 6x CAV (8.31MB/s) CD-ROM Max 32x CAV (4.8MB/s) CD-R, CD-RW Max 32x CAV (4.8MB/s) Access Time DVD-ROM 140 msec (Random Average) CD -ROM 130 msec

I just got the LaCie Firewire 4X Combo (DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-R etc). It works perfect (I have backed up two 120 Gig drive in only a couple of sessions!) ~13 minutes each 4.4 Gig (not including Verify of course). $300 direct from LaCie, only 2 days shipping for CA.

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

yep i have an A05 (predecessor to A06) burns at 4x dvd-r. thats a whole disc in 15 minutes. works great, plus you can learn to make dvd's to watch and thats a lot of fun. (must spend money for mac software or buy pc). toast 5.2.1 is the version to use with the A05, i'm sure the A06 would work with this version too. [i]the A06 only does one thing the A05 doesn't; DVD+R. this format is sketchy on macs and a little less compatible with some dvd players than DVD-R.[/i]

I just jumped on the boat and got a Pioneer A06. Burn speeds of 4x give me a realistic burn time at about 20 minutes (counting caching and all). I backup my data to one of my other drives, then use dvd-/+r for archive, or long term backup. My last project (finished at 6:20[b]AM[/b] yesterday) is just over twenty gigs. That would have been a lot of time and CD-R's - it's not like they'd change themselves after each disc is burned, so you have to be there the whole time. Not with DVD, I just come back after hitting the local zippi mart for a snack and it's ready for the next set. No changing the disc 6-7 times. Just do it!
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Okay NE-One, I did. :) I got a Pinnacle - I/O Magic 4X combo drive (DVD-R/RW DVD+R/RW drive. $199. And it's pretty impressive. Installation was a snap. No driver software needed. True plug and play. The bundled software works fine. I backed up a ton of data yesterday and it's definitely easier to get a lot of data on one disk and just let it burn instead of having to swap out disks as often as I would have to with CD-R's. I'm using -R's, since they seem to be the more compatable format from what Coaster (and others) have told me. BTW, thanks for the tip Coaster. :thu: Now, where do I find good deals on blank media? I'm open to suggestions re: brands and vendors. Thanks again for your help everyone. :cool:

This thread come along just at the right time. My new machine has a PHILIPS DVD+RW SDVD6004. Just now thinking about getting around to getting media for doing some backups. My main question is what's the mean of the + or - before the RW or R?

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Idiots with DVD technology shot themselves in the feet by not having a standard. It's like VHS and Betamax, only they both play in the same player. DVD+R has a slightly lower chance of compatability with [i]older[/i] DVD players. Both are mostly equal formats.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

[quote]Originally posted by NE-One: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]Okay NE-One, I did. :) [/b][/quote]Phil, that's [i]MATT[/i] to you! :D [/b][/quote]I know... I just thought it sounded better / funnier with the NE-One at the start of that post. ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]I know... I just thought it sounded better / funnier with the NE-One at the start of that post. ;) [/b][/quote]LOL! :thu:

Phil, I was thinking of starting a thread specifically asking about good blank DVD-R deals. Then I saw this thread. I'm getting a new computer soon, and I'm planning on putting a DVD burner in it to back up my PT files. Maybe one of us should start that other thread anyway. (?)

>>Idiots with DVD technology shot themselves in the feet by not having a standard. It's like VHS and Betamax, only they both play in the same player. DVD+R has a slightly lower chance of compatability with older DVD players. Both are mostly equal formats.<< And from the article Bassix pointed us to: >>The content created on a DVD-R/RW writer using a write once DVD-R disc played back in virtually all (96.1 percent) of the DVD players and DVD-ROM drives used in the research. DVD+R discs played back in 87.6 percent of the devices tested.<< I'm not real knowledgable about DVD platform but the info makes me a bit queasy when considering long term backup. I'll be rereading my data so it doesn't seem a big issue at first look but what if I need it at a time when perhaps this drive is long gone and I have a newer one. An 87.6 playback rate on a +Rx device ain't especially comforting in my opinion. Perhaps they might drop the +Rx part of the spec in future drives. Oh well I'll give it a shot and hope for the best I guess. Though I'd probably be compelled to also make a CD backup. Perhaps the DVD platform ain't quite ready for primetime data archivng.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]Perhaps they might drop the +Rx part of the spec in future drives.[/b][/quote]Doubtful, in fact some big companies like Plextor are going with strictly '+' format, if I remember correctly. FWIW, I use TDK 4x +R. I buy them with cases for $20/10 DVD+R's. Phil, I'm glad you see the same humour as I saw when I elected for my generic handle. :thu:

OK, I started the other thread, specifically asking about blank DVD-R prices, but I don't think anyone has seen it yet. It was kind of dumb of me to start a thread late on Friday night, considering most of the poeple here post while they're at work. D'oh! :freak: ;)

• 2 weeks later...
OK I just had to brag a little. Bring on the 8Xs burners. I just picked up one of these babies at Best Buy: [img]http://www.plextor.com/english/images/708A_photo_specs4.gif[/img] [url=http://www.plextor.com/english/products/708A.html]Plextor takes it up a notch with the PX-708A and UF. 8Xs![/url] Works like a charm and kicks big ass speed wise. A little pricy but the other options were only a little less expensive 4x units. Besides it's a Plextor. I have never had a problem with any of my Plextors. Not ever never. OK I am delirious. Off to bed. - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b]I just picked up one of these babies at Best Buy: A little pricy but the other options were only a little less expensive 4x units. [/b][/quote]There are othere options. Never buy retail those places are such ripoffs. Check daily pricings through [url=http://www.pricewatch.com]pricewatch.com[/url] . they lsit, by best price, reputable venders to buy from, and direct links to them. We buy through their references everything from drives to RAM, blank media, and get incredible prices. You would have saved over $40 on that Plextor burner... Good place to look for blank DVD media, too....

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

[quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b] [quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b]I just picked up one of these babies at Best Buy: A little pricy but the other options were only a little less expensive 4x units. [/b][/quote]There are othere options. Never buy retail those places are such ripoffs. Check daily pricings through [url=http://www.pricewatch.com]pricewatch.com[/url] . they lsit, by best price, reputable venders to buy from, and direct links to them. We buy through their references everything from drives to RAM, blank media, and get incredible prices. You would have saved over $40 on that Plextor burner... Good place to look for blank DVD media, too....[/b][/quote]You are correct and if I had not needed it this week I would have waited patiently for that Plextor to arrive mail order. But I was in a big hurry. My old CD burner was not going to cut it for the next project I am working on. (It’s a soundtrack/audio sweetening project for a feature film if you are interested) I am not advocating retail price. Believe me. But it was nice to get a jump on the technology as this drive only just became available. I did have to spend more but only because of the timeline for this gig. :) Thanks for the tip under any circumstances. ;) Hope [i]this[/i] is helpful. - DJDM

Archived