Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Crown CTS amp, anybody know how it works?

Gary75

So i picked up this CTS600, and it happens to have one of these DSP PIP cards installed. There is an ethernet port on the back but I have no idea after reading manuals how to connect to the amp. I had no idea amps came with ethernet cards thses days and built in DSP. I try to connect but can't, I don't suppose anyone knows a link where I can get help on this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This type of amp is fantastic for certain situations. In an install, you may have 5, 10, or 100 different amps. Here's an example:

Monitor 1&2

Monitor 3&4

Monitor 5&6

Monitor 7&8

Front fill

Cluster left Mid

Cluster left high

Cluster left low

Cluster right Mid

Cluster right high

cluster right low

center channel mid

center channel high

center channel low

balcony fills

subs

subs

subs

subs

This is a 24 amp channel system that would be suitable for a medium sized theater or church. All of these channels need EQ, band filters (crossovers), limiting, etc. It has to be done somewhere, and if not in the amp, then in external processing devices, which can add cost and complexity.

I agree that this type of amp may be a little less useful in a portable setting, but even in this setting it could save you an EQ or crossover. You could put your speaker box tuning right into the amp, and only have room EQ to worry about, since your cabinet tuning is already preset by you inside the amp.

I suspect that this type of thing is the future for sound reinforcement. With digital mixers rapidly replacing analog ones and speaker designers increasingly relying on DSP to make their boxes sound good, DSP will go from "nice to have" to essential, if it isn't already.

Here's a really nerdy article that explains why speaker designers are choosing to rely more on DSP:

http://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/technologies/tqstatement/

Here's the ProsoundWeb forum where there are a ton of really smart people, where I originally found the article:

ProSound Web forum - link to Gunness focusing - another DSP-based cool technique

If you are interested in sound, it may be worth poking around, especially in the Lounge forum.

Archived