Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Satriani suing Coldplay

duff beer

Joe Satiani is suing Coldplay for stealing one of his songs. He claims they used substantial portions of "If I Could Fly" in their song "Viva La Vida":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7766683.stm

Here is a youtube blend of both songs. It sounds like Satriani has a valid claim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8HDUiauiyM&eurl=http://creativeguitarstudio.blogspot.com/

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess that isn't the only lawsuit/accusation against Coldplay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KEGHfQuZJY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpZPdaw8Sw&feature=related

This is why putting tons of "unreleased" material (especially non-Copyrighted material) on the internet is not a good idea...

People pick up on melodies..etc...and stuff gets subconsciously stuck your head.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Tell me about it-I may have already posted more than I should have and sorry for that cause I think people enjoy it, but there `s no choice, you have to protect your work. In this case it sounds pretty darn substantial to me, ultimately the court will bring in a musicologist but my guess is that there will be compensation here.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Joe Satiani is suing Coldplay for stealing one of his songs. He claims they used substantial portions of "If I Could Fly" in their song "Viva La Vida":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7766683.stm

Here is a youtube blend of both songs. It sounds like Satriani has a valid claim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8HDUiauiyM&eurl=http://creativeguitarstudio.blogspot.com/

+1

I hope he sues their asses to kingdom come. He's not the only one they've ripped off...check out YouTube for more. Their other major rip off is Kraftwerk's Computer Love. Stoleplay rip off MAIN HOOKS and claim it to be original.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

NO - They did not ripoff Kraftwork. To clear the record (at least on this one)...

Coldplay liked the song so much that they asked for, and received permission to use the riff from Kraftworks "Computer Love". They then wrote their own lyrics around the melody. Kraftwork also received credit on for it Coldplay's CD.

The idea that they ripped Kraftwork off has been repeated so many times people think it's true - but is simply is not.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

I listened and Satriani has point. Very spot on take of his song.

I think Coldplay will have to pony up a few bills to clear this one.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Sounds like Satriani has a pretty strong case. Both the melody and the chord progression are really, really close to my ears (had some familiarity with the Coldplay tune, but had never heard the Satriani one).

My guess is Satriani will probably prevail and end up with a songwriting credit and some associated compensation.

i dont mean to be THAT GUY...

i can def hear the resemblance...quite compeling. but ive always said to myself...you know theres only 12 notes. only SO many ways to put them all together before someone or groups with overlapping interests write something that sounds alike...

i dont mean to be THAT GUY...

i can def hear the resemblance...quite compeling. but ive always said to myself...you know theres only 12 notes. only SO many ways to put them all together before someone or groups with overlapping interests write something that sounds alike...

That's my approach to soloing! ha! Only 12 notes.. How wrong can I go?! :-)

Don Henley has said he won't accept tapes or CD's from people who want him to critique their music or help them get started in the biz, which apparently people often try to give him, because there is too much possibility that he might unconsciously use enough of someone else's tune to get sued for it. I wonder if he listens to any music for entertainment?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I wonder if it may be getting to the point that you could have just about any material questioned because of that fact that so much of it sounds similar to previous songs? I mean like the other guy said there are only so many ways to put a song together that you are bound to be reusing some things.

It sounds SO similar, I wonder if it was a real mistake? How could they have hoped to have gotten away with it if it was intentional? ...on the other hand, same tempo too?

Maybe they're stupid. :idea: Coldplay is one of the most derivative bands I've ever heard.

I don't think that's exactly the best Satriani I ever heard either.

Don't you just hate that. Like when SRV blatantly stole that great tune about the kid with the sheep at school...

Yeah, that was by T. Edison. I'm pretty sure he was the first to record that, right?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Did Thomas Edison write that poem, or did he blatantly rip it off from some poor SOB down on his luck?? Too bad it's too late to sue him!!

Yes, he invented the phonograph, but who cares about that... outdated technology, anyway..... I care about the POEM!! And about Mary and her lamb...

There is another version of that poem, and no, I didn't write it... supposedly it was by Louis Armstrong.

Mary had a little bear

The bear was mighty fine

And everywhere that Mary went

You'd see her bear behind

If you don't like it, sue Louis!

--------------------------------------

Seriously, Satriani probably DOES have a case, although who knows what a judge and/or jury will decide!

A local radio station here played both songs(Satch and Coldplay) at the same time and it was eerie. They're in the same key and the tempo was right on. A lot of these cases get dismissed because it appears that once a song/artist starts making money they become a target, but this time I don't know.

Jim

A lot of these cases get dismissed because it appears that once a song/artist starts making money they become a target, but this time I don't know.

NO...I wouldn't say they "become a target"...it's just that until they perform the song publically, on a big scale...or record/sell it...the original owner doesn't even know they stole it.

Plus...ain't no point going after someone who isn't making any money off YOUR song. :)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Plus...ain't no point going after someone who isn't making any money off YOUR song. :)

That's partly my point, I'm remembering cases that involved Gearge Harrison and Micheal Jackson that had much less convincing evidence, but lots of bucks at stake. While I am sure Coldplay has a few dollars at thier disposal, this looks a lot different to me.

Jim

Archived