Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Satriani suing Coldplay

duff beer

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus...ain't no point going after someone who isn't making any money off YOUR song. :)

That's partly my point, I'm remembering cases that involved Gearge Harrison and Micheal Jackson that had much less convincing evidence, but lots of bucks at stake. While I am sure Coldplay has a few dollars at thier disposal, this looks a lot different to me.

Jim

In the George Harrison case the songs (He's So Fine and My Sweet Lord) do sound very similar, but give me a break! I don't think George set out to rip off the earlier tune, I doubt he'd heard it in years when he wrote MSL and the riff is SO simple it must have been copied a lot. But as you say, there was money to be made by the previous song's interested parties. (Read: record company.)

The one I do think was blatant copying, even if subliminal, was the Ray Parker Junior case about the song, Ghostbusters, the theme from the movie. He was sued over the similarity to the then recently popular Huey Lewis song, I Want A New Drug. They settled out of court although according to Wikipedia the suit is ongoing because HL mentioned some details in an interview which breached confidentiality clauses in the settlement. I realized the validity of the evidence (of their similarity to one another) one Sunday afternoon in my dorm room at the University of Iowa. Some moron was blasting his stereo down the hall. My room was behind a hallway door and I couldn't hear most of the sound but the bass and drums were rocking my room. I thought he was playing one song but upon going to tell him to turn it down i realized it was the other song.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Coldplay responds

"Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write the song 'Viva La Vida.' We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and wish him well with all future endeavors."

And that's what the lawyers told us to say. :rolleyes:

"I did everything I could to avoid a court case with this situation," Satriani told Music Radar. "But Coldplay didn't want to talk about it. They just wanted this whole thing to go away. Maybe they figured this little guitar player guy will leave them alone after a while, I don't know."

If there's one thing I can't stand it's pop stars being precious. They've got the money. They've got the girls. They've got the adulation. Unfortunately, some have also got a poker up their ass. Joe should lighten up and enjoy his life instead of whining about 'his song' being ripped off. 'If I Could Fly' is pap and all this does is draw attention to what a poor song writing talent he is in the first place.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's pop stars being precious. They've got the money. They've got the girls. They've got the adulation. Unfortunately, some have also got a poker up their ass. Joe should lighten up and enjoy his life instead of whining about 'his song' being ripped off. 'If I Could Fly' is pap and all this does is draw attention to what a poor song writing talent he is in the first place.

Heheheheh. :D

I said earlier that it wasn't the best Satriani music around. You can't really deny the similarities, so if the song being "borrowed" is pap, what does that make the imitation?

As far as the money goes, I doubt Satriani is grossing Coldplay level cash, so help a brother out.

Joe is a pop star?

Archived