Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bassist/composer seeking guitarist advice

Hey all you six-stringers. I'm going to be doing some session work for a trip-hop band here pretty soon and they're asking me to write some acoustic guitar stuff (basic groovy stuff, not much pickin') as well as the bass parts they originally requested, which is where I put my emphasis.

Since I've really wanted to use an acoustic guitar to record some things with in the past (onto my computer mostly), this request has kind've fired me up to buy one to record with regularly. What's a good model for below $1000 (preferably around $300-500) that I could acquire? I'm going more for tone than for great playability--this'll be a recording instrument more than anything.

Thanks for the wisdom.

cassius

PS: I caught Travis Meeks in Lawrence, KS a few weeks ago and that was a mindblower (got a hug from the guy too!). I think a guitarist ought to be especially receptive to him! So consider checking it out. His live show is really back on the right track since he's gotten sober.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$300 to $500 won't get you a lot of guitar in the acoustic realm, especially if you're going for one with a pickup. And if you plan to use it live, you'll want one with a pickup. Look into middle-of-the-line Epiphones and Ovations. And, acoustic guitars should never be bought before you can hear them. One acoustic may not sound the same as another of the same make and model. So don't buy online(MUsician's Friend, Music123, ZZounds, etc) unless you are ready to be disappointed, because the chances are high that you will be.

I'd look at all the used/preowned acoustics in music stores, pawn shops, etc. Maybe look into Craig's List for your town, and if you fins something cool for low bux, play the guitar before you lay your money down. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck that way. Hey, if you're REALLY lucky, you'll find some poor schmoe who needs to sell the high-dollar Taylor for peanuts so he can feed his Starbucks Vente Capuchino jones, or a P.O.-ed ex-wife who's selling her deadbeat husband's Olson for nothing because he gets a share of the money it brings. Good luck!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hey Cassius, If I were to spend $500 on a recording guitar I would go with one o these

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500M-Advanced-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519028

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/1/7/9/491179.jpg

They have really rave reviews. All solid woods, hand built (in China.. :whistle: ). I almost bought one myself.

But yes for live, you'd need to pay for a pickup on top of that.

I agree with the Epiphone Masterbilt series...amazing guitars that sound beautiful.

I wouldn't really pay too much into the guitar having a pickup...most piezos sound like crap anyway (as far as recording goes).

UNLESS that is, you're looking at this guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-EJ-160E-John-Lennon-Acoustic-Electric-101462604-i1150093.gc

has a single coil at the neck with volume and tone controls...plus it's a solid top and plays nicely so you can mic it and have good results as well.

I recently checked out a Godin 5th Ave, and was way more impressed than I expected to be.....

I played one of those when I was shopping for my new acoustic (what turned out to be my Seagull.) Godin is really impressing me.

I'm really happy with my new Seagull, so that's one worth looking at for our bass interloper. The Art & Lutherie brand from Godin is also worth a look for a basic acoustic.

Hey cassius,

I wasn't even looking for an acoustic, just looking to kill some time in a music store, and just happened to find one I liked.

http://www.geocities.com/ricbassguy/elitelx.jpg

It's an Ovation Standard Elite LX. It's a little more than you'd like to spend, but still under your max cap.

It may or may not be for you. You really have to try them all like Picker suggests, and if you find one you really like then get that particular guitar. And Picker is right on the money when he says that each guitar will have uniquely individual character, even if they are the same make/model.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the sound advice...

I have a pretty crummy "Global" brand classical acoustic that I worked some of the trip hop stuff out to. Primarily I'd just like a really good acoustic to record, not to play live, although I guess it'd be nice just in case. I just really like a nice acoustic tone to solidify a layered recording. I'm not much into acoustic guitar as a central instrument, except where Travis Meeks is involved. But I love it for soundscaping in almost all applications so I'd like one for that purpose and you all have provided me with plenty of leads, so thanks. Picker and Eric, great advice, and I will definitely take a "play one in person" approach.

But that John Lennon sure looks nice! My wife loves Lennon so maybe I can get her to go all Christmas-y on me. (Me made funny joke.)

I recently checked out a Godin 5th Ave, and was way more impressed than I expected to be.....

I played one of those when I was shopping for my new acoustic (what turned out to be my Seagull.) Godin is really impressing me.

I'm really happy with my new Seagull, so that's one worth looking at for our bass interloper. The Art & Lutherie brand from Godin is also worth a look for a basic acoustic.

Agreed. Very nice sound. Acceptable pricing.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

The above referenced Masterbilt is a guitar I have been lusting after for quite awhile. Each one I have tried out has been extremely playable and has been very balanced tonally.

It's my top pick at $500.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I would get a used Taylor, or a Taylor Big Baby, or look at some used Martins.

I am not saying you may not come across a nice Alvarez Yairi (used), or something else but Taylor really doesn't dick around. They know how to build a guitar.

I have told this story before. A number of years ago Taylor came to the store I used to go to (closed now because of GC..) and offered up a guitar they made out of a wood pallete. It played great, and sounded even better.

That was Taylor just telling you how it is.. I have played acoustic seriously for a number of years and can honestly say that most other manufacturers that may make a nice electric--make toys for acoustics compared to Taylors or Martins. I am picky and I think most acoustics blow.

I guess I would have to play a guitar that was good that was made by someone else in that price range that wasn't just glossed over with a nice finish to make it look nice. I remember I had a Takamine that was like $800 and later on I thought it sucked when I experienced my first Taylor.

The Big Baby looks like its made of balsa. It looks liek crap frankly, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Taylor manufactured it and as a result it is a superior build than most guitars that cost twice as much. It is a precision instrument that has huge tone for its size and perfect intonation.

I would say don't dick around if you have $500 or more and get a used Taylor or Martin. I have played some nice Gibsons but they were reissues that were like $1600+. The other ones I played were not very good to my hands ears. But to each his own..

Just keep in mind, most great players who aren't playing some custom built guitar are using Taylors, Martins, Larivee, Breed Love, Santa Cruz. Taylors have built a name around quality--thats because they are quality. Put a Big Baby against another brand name of $300 more and chances are the Big Baby will fare very well against it even though it may not look as pretty.. Looks aren't important, Taylor knows this.

I am very opinionated on this topic sorry. I wouldn't go so sick about it if you were talking about electrics because I just don't think it is as hard to make a good electric. Acoustics are way more difficult to make.

Taylor has proved to me time and time again that not only do they make better acoustics than most, but they rub their noses in the dirt.

Archived