Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

12 string . . . strings?

moot

Hey guys

So, of course I tried the search :deadhorse:

Anyway, I recently picked up a 12 string acoustic and strung it with Elixer 80/20 lights. I have to say I am not a big fan of bronze -a little twangy for my taste- and can't for the life of me find steel strings that come in 12 sets.

Anyone know of any?

Thanks

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Disclaimer: I don't mean at all to come off as condescending or second-guessing you in the following, just trying to leave no stone unturned... )

Hmn, are you sure it's not the gauges? Light gauges will be more "twangy" than medium or heavy.

If they're lighter than the strings that were previously on there, then the neck may have pulled back into less relief and given rise to a touch of fret-buzz which might be perceived as twanginess. Just an idea, something to look into.

I would think that nickel-plated steel electric-12 string sets would sound even MORE "twangy" on an acoustic guitar.

Try a medium 12-str set; GHS has a very wide variety of strings, their Vintage Bronze, Silk & Bronze, or Silk & Steel 12-string sets might do you well for a warmer, fuller, less twangy tone.

If you want to try some nickel-plated steel, electric 12 strings, GHS makes a GB-12L 12-String Boomer set...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

- or Silk & Steel 12-string sets might do you well for a warmer, fuller, less twangy tone.

Bingo and thanks for the thoughts Mr. O'Shite.

Nothing wrong with the neck or the gauge - I just really don't care for the bright, often tinny sound of bronze.

I took your advice and ordered some Silk and Steel. A little heavier (.001) But I'll survive.

Thanks again,

Matt

Keep us posted on how they sound to you- I sure hope that you do like them!

I love how different string types and gauges can really alter the basic tone of a guitar; an often overlooked approach while players spend loads of dough on pedals and pickups and gizmos...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Agreed!

I keep bronze on one of my AEBs and like the sound of them just fine and actually my old Ovation acoustic sounds dynamite with bronze but my others not so much.

It just dawned on me, I bought that Ovation 27 years ago. Geez I'm getting old.

Thanks again

I play mostly 12 string, and I use 10 on the high e. I am not sure what set that is, I use D'addario Extended Play. They are coated similarly to Elixirs.

For myself I LOVE these strings. They take an hour or 2 of playing to open up. YOu may need to wear a bit of the plastic off of them.

See i HATE restringing my 12 string. It is a royal pain in the ass. The Extended play strings last about twice as long as regular uncoated strings, and in my opinion they sound superior. I also think it is smart to tune your 12 string down a half step. This spares your bridge from the potentially extreme tension (if you use heavier strings). Also you can use a heavier gauge of string, and it will play easier because of the reduced tension.

Also tonally, I think it sounds much warmer. The strings maybe aren't vibrating as quickly because of the reduced tension, but I guess I just like the way it sounds better.

If need be, you can always use a capo. Thats what I do.

Archived