Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Quantum Leap Steinway vs. Ivory Steinway

Jazz+

Thanks Tom,

East West says the Q6600 Duo 2 Quad 4 at 2.4 GHZ will be fine, many of their forum members report running it with slower processors without problem. I will probably just load the 58 gigabyte Steinway, maybe later the Bosendorfer or Bechstein, but the Steinway is the one that seems to sing to me.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks cnegrad,

Yes, and i have been researching over on the East West forum, who markets the Quantum Leap Pianos, all recommed a secondary drive for the pianos. I notice they all have a lot of RAM in their PCs, like 8 MB, although some have as little a 3 MB.

OK. I looked on their website and couldn't find the discussion about the secondary drive. But it makes sense that they will let you load all those samples onto a 2nd drive.

So consider your options. If you keep the current 640 GB drive as the primary drive, you could add a large/fast 1 terabyte drive as the secondary drive and be a happy, happy man. :)

In fact, that's probably what I would do. Otherwise, you'll have to reload the OS and all the applications. I don't know if you want to do that (or have the recovery disks that should have come with the HP machine).

Consider this 1TB Western Digital drive.

Happy Happy Joy Joy. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom,

Do you like the E-MU 1212m sound card? It also comes with a large suply of free software.

I don't know anything about it.

I bought my interface (used) from Busch. :)

You might want to ask him about that.

You have a 1394 (Firewire) port on your PC. An external interface that connects to that port is very nice. I would probably choose that over a USB 2.0 model.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

More very revealing audio comparisons, a MIDI of an open sounding jazz ballad played by a bunch of software pianos such as Art Vista, Galaxy II, Quantum Leap, Ivory Italian, Garritan, Tru Piano... I think BDMO is a real piano

http://idisk.mac.com/wiser_guy-Public?view=web

After listening to them all back and forth I am again drawn to the clarity and naturalness of the QL Steinway.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

QL and Ivory substantialy trump the FP4. Live, I will use FP4 for convenience, but home studio would be the software piano.

• 2 weeks later...

Jazz+, I'm curious about what you plan to do with the software piano. It's for home use, right? You have a nice grand piano at home, so... is it to facilitate making recordings without having to mic the real piano?

You mentioned requiring a large, fast second hard drive for the piano library. In my experience, the larger/faster the hard drive, the more environmental noise it generates. That could also apply to the other components of the computer in general - the more powerful they are, the more heat, and thus, the more cooling required, meaning more fans, meaning - potentially - more noise. This may or may not be an issue for you, I don't know.

Good luck with the project.

Archived