Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drop Tuning with a Floyd Rose setup?

Mortal Engines

Is there a way to adjust the bridge or tension with an old Floyd Rose tremolo system? I have never had any luck at home. It works fine at standard 440HZ tuning but as soon as I try to drop it a step the strings lie flat and limp against the fretboard. I know there is a way around it but, I've never asked...I actually do all of my drop tuning with a Les Paul or a Strat instead of the Robin I am talking about.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your Floyd is floating, the spring tension needs to match the string tension. You will have to choose between standard and drop, or block the Floyd to keep it from floating.

The pits of the universe was adjusting the Floyd on my old Charvel when I scrapped the factory .09's for my preferred .10 gauge strings. Yech.

You're talking about switching between Standard tuning and all six strings tuned down a half-step with a floating Floyd Rose, right?

As Bill and Squ point out, with a floating trem (Fender Strat-style, Floyd Rose, and fulcrum-style that's not resting flat against the body, but can go up as well as down) you have to have the guitar set-up for one tuning and string-gauge and type, and no others, otherwise you have to re-set the spring-tension, AND (mostly if changing string gauges) the intonation and action (and probably the neck-relief, too).

As Griffinator points out, IF you have the trem set "flat-mounted" against the body, NOT floating, you can adjust the spring-tension and/or add an extra spring or two to keep it flat against the body when tuning down.

In any of these cases you have to find a balance and a happy-medium between string tension and spring-tension (which also affects the feel of the trem).

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

In any of these cases you have to find a balance and a happy-medium between string tension and spring-tension (which also affects the feel of the trem).

Indeed, if you like dive-bombing and other wacky trem tricks, you'll probably NOT want to change the spring tension that dramatically.

I have set up my 86 kramer pacer so that I can use the trem in standard tuning( up and down). For drop tuning I have an old pick guard piece of plastic cutto the 3/4 shape of the trem. I place between the trm and body, No whammy when in use, but retune to standard and pull plastic. Now I know this works for me my trem is setting right ontop of the body, if its in the body like a modern this would not work. Just quick thing I did for a guitarist in the 90s as tech he loved. So i now use it for tuning up guitars if they are changing gauge or tunings to get a quick referance point.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

D-Tuna is an add on you can use to drop the low E to D. You have to adjust and set it up initially, but it works fine once dialed in. You'll notice a small spread in tuning when its engaged on a full floater.

I have the tremel-no installed. It works acceptably well for locking the bridge for hard tail action. Double stop bends and pedal effects, etc. But, it will slip after a while and you can't use the bar once you've got it locked down. So, I wouldn't go there for tuning everything down to D.

I don't know of any (acceptable for me) way around setting the guitar up with adjusting the spring claw and moving/ adding / removing springs for the tuning...

"The pits of the universe was adjusting the Floyd on my old Charvel when I scrapped the factory .09's for my preferred .10 gauge strings. Yech. "

Billster, that brings up memories. Nightmarish ones. Like changing strings, breaking strings mid-song (and not being able to play), trying different string sets. And the time I went to jam with some friends and they all tuned down a half step. And the time someone asked to borrow my guitar and tried to tune it, using the tuners on the headstock.

I know people love Floyds, but my guitar with the trem (which I bought in the late 80's when everything was about the Floyd) is currently retired to the storage room and probably won't come out until I need it enough to block the thing.

Steven (who is happily playing a fixed bridge and forever will)

"And the guitar players look damaged

They've been outcasts all their lives"

-Jagger/Richards-

I've been wanting to get the Goldo Black Box for my Kramer Pacer and this is the only place I can find it...with a $30 shipping fee in addition to the price of the piece.

Goldo Black Box

It's supposed to be the best according to this guy:

Vibrato Bar Stabilization

Be sure to click the link at the bottom of the first page for the Goldo review.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

It's been good for me (this thread, that is); I'm gonna be nursing TWO Floyd-be-Rosed guitars back to health for a friend- a really cool old through or set-neck (not sure which it is) Jackson, and a cheaper, but not bad by any means, bolt-on Ibanez.

Maybe he'll let me set the Ibanez up as a "flat-mount", while keeping the Jackson's whammy a-float... yeah, that's the ticket...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yeah - no way around it I'm afraid... That guy didn't try the tremelno. I prefer it because when you want a floyd you want most of the floyd stuff. like the flutter, divebombs for years, pulling up etc. and when you don't want it, you want it solid...

Archived