Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg X50 w/Sibelius v4

Jim_L

Long story short (if that's possible), I've got an X50 that i'm trying to get Sibelius v4 to play back the sounds (I've got all the drivers installed on my computer) with the intent to create sheet music for my tunes. To get the program to 'properly' play back (or just see the Korg's sounds to begin with) I need something called a sound set file. I've tried to use Sibelius' editor to modify a Korg triton sound file but I don't know much about midi, computer recording (I use a dedicated Korg D3200 deck, no computers) nor do I know how to read/write notation.

I figured I could just plug the synth into the computer, assign the instruments (I'm currently creating orchestral arrangements for my new tunes) to the staves and play the synth (I'm a terrible keyboard player too) and create sheet music. Sounds simple but apparently that's not how notation software works. I've done a lot of searching on the net and tried numerous free software trials with the same lack of results.

I've learned through emails with tech support(s)that neither Korg nor Sibelius (or Finale) plans on creating the file that enables the synth/program to 'see/talk' with each other.

I've also looked on the net for anything that will convert live sung vocals into sheet music with no success.

Anyone been through this?

All help is appreciated!

-Jim

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...nor do I know how to read/write notation...I'm a terrible keyboard player too...

All help is appreciated!

-Jim

Hi Jim -- Forgive me for answering a question that you didn't ask :) but it may be that a little quality time with a good teacher would help you build a stronger foundation for your Sibelius explorations. I honestly mean for that to be helpful rather than critical.

As far as the sounds go, are you just using the X50 to hear the playback of your scores? If so, you could just use the sounds that are built into Sibelius.

Best of luck with it.

Put your Korg X50 in General MIDI mode - it should work directly (I believe) with Sibelius then. I do know that my Kurzweil K2661 can be put in General MIDI mode and work directly with my Finale 2008.

Jim

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Sorry for the late reply, i'm hoping to be able to actually have Sibelius see the exact sounds from the synth - fer' example: Combi Bank A #004 Epic Escape is a sound from the synth and I want (hope actually) THAT preset to show up in the instrument/sound list in Sibelius. GM doesn't work as there's only the programs built-in (GM) instruments and during playback sometimes the program may lay some staves, other staves won't play anything or play the wrong sound or play short notes when during recording, I held certain notes but they aren't 'held' (like a violin note held while recording for multiple measures but is played back as a single immediate 'plunk').

I hope that made sense.

-Jim

Archived