Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

35" Scale 4-strings-- why so few?

calypsocoral

I just played an ESP F-404, with a 35" scale, and was impressed with the tension and responsiveness of the standard Light (0.40) strings it was strung with (I usually consider this gauge too light and floppy). I didn't really find it any more difficult than a 34" scale instrument, and I found the low "E" string very responsive.

Why are so many manufacturers so loath to offer a 35" scale four-stringer?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they aren't necessary and a lack of market. The 34" scale length is pretty much industry standard. For the standard gage of strings the tension is more than adequate. Basssists aren't calmouring for them in numbers sufficient to warrant retooling an entire factory of underpaid Asian pesants.

There is a wider variety of 30.5" scale length basses (Gibson, Epiphone, Fender) available for basses. I have played the Epi GS-3 knockoff and the Rogue Viola (both 30.5") and found the short scale legnth to be difficult to play.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

You're an underpaid Asian peasant . . .

BTW, posting at 2 a.m. Flank? are you old enough for that kind of insomnia or did you gig?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

You're an underpaid Asian peasant . . .

BTW, posting at 2 a.m. Flank? are you old enough for that kind of insomnia or did you gig?

I'm pleanty old enough for that kind of insomnia (you kids get the hell off my lawn!). No, no gig this month. But in this case, the grandkid (about 15 months) was on an overnighter so my son could roadie for free for a friend's band, woke up and wanted compnay and something to drink. So, since I was up anyway...

Based on my last contracts going overseas and the way the economy is tanking, we ALL are going to be underpaid Asian peasants sooner or later.

P.S. My friend's band managed to get through "Drift Away" in 59 seconds - with a solo!!! Classic rock at the speed of Anthrax!

We now return you to your thread, already in progress.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

For the reasons stated above, I think a 35-inch scale makes more sense for five- and six-string basses than for fours.

Also, I think it's probably a comfort thing -- the longer the scale, the longer the reach.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

My first bass was a short scale 30". It still plays and sounds wonderful after 40 years. I have had many 34" scales and never found any that sounded better than the short scale. There are many things that can contribute to the sound. I really think anyone who can say that a 35" four string sounds better than a 34" four string is being swayed by things other than scale length. If there is no real difference in sound quality, why make a 35" except as a marketing ploy.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Extended scale is supposed to help keep that low B string from being a flap fest. Honestly a medium gauge low B feels fine to me on a 34 inch bass, so it's not really a consideration for me in a purchase. There is virtually no tonal difference in a 34 and 35 inch bass that wouldn't be eclipsed by any number of other factors.

I'm most comfy on a 34 inch bass, but a 35 inch doesn't change things enough to really matter much in the comfort arena..

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

I've played floppy B's on 34" & 35" scales as well as tight B's on 34" and 35". I feel the scale length effects the E string just as much as the B. Even though both are equally playable, the first couple of positions on a 35" feel like more of a stretch, but the rest of bass feels fine. That ESP mentioned in the original post plays nicely, but the "flop factor" does not only rely on the scale of the bass, but the strings, instrument build, and player technique.

Whether 34" or 35" is "better" in terms of tone or feel is subjective. It is also dependent somewhat on string gauge. Let's face it, individual players like their instruments to feel differently, respond differently, etc. We all vary in terms of preferred string gauges, scale lengths, string tension, etc.

That said, remember that changing scale length is not simply about making the neck an inch longer or moving the bridge an inch further towards the end of the body, and then slightly recalibrating the position of the frets. Those changes may affect how the bass hangs on the strap, sits in your lap, and in conjunction with those things, how the change to 35" scale affects what the reach feels like.

Some folks prefer a little more flap in their B or E strings so as not to have G strings that are too tight.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've been giving the Ibanez BTB-570 a serious look, as the Bartolini electronics package looks flat-out awesome. Since my current main instrument has a P/J setup, I'm used to a chunky mid pickup and a bright bridge pickup, which is what Bill Bartolini was going for with this MkII design.

I also like its appearance-- the chunky body (almost like a Musicman Stingray in the lower end), with a strap horn that looks like the horn of a bull.

Now, to find someone who sells it in Transparent Green (Musicians' Friend and Guitar Center only carry the Natural Fade)...

I've been giving the Ibanez BTB-570 a serious look, as the Bartolini electronics package looks flat-out awesome.

It is.

I also like its appearance-- the chunky body (almost like a Musicman Stingray in the lower end), with a strap horn that looks like the horn of a bull.

It also really helps counterbalance the wide neck. BTBs are pretty light all around but that long upper horn is beautifully functional.

Now, to find someone who sells it in Transparent Green (Musicians' Friend and Guitar Center only carry the Natural Fade)...

I just took a look at the color on the Ibanez website. Stunning is about all I can say. Mine is trans red with a quilted maple top. Pretty nice but that green is like an enjoyable roundhouse kick in the eye.

I've played floppy B's on 34" & 35" scales as well as tight B's on 34" and 35". I feel the scale length effects the E string just as much as the B.

That was my basic point, Rizzo. I typically prefer Medium gauge strings on my electrics. As an upright player, I am used to a lot of tension-- even though it affects playability, that tension is needed for responsiveness and sustain, as less vibrational energy is lost.

I am absolutely NOT discounting that OTHER factors may have been at work here. But I have played other basses (Schecter Stiletto, Ibanez Soundgear, ESP B-series) of similar materials (Mahogany/Maple) and workmanship. With a light string gauge, the E-string of that ESP F-404 possessed a tension and responsiveness that I found pleasantly-surprising, and lacking in similarly-equipped competitors. As scale length was the only readily-apparent difference in that model (it shares virtually everything else with the B-series), I believe it may have been a factor. I didn't even know it was an extended-scale bass, until I researched it on the internet later that day.

I actually own that ESP LTD F404 an it is an awesome bass. the longer scale feels perfect in the drop tunings we play in. sweet bass I love it.

MY GEAR: Line 6 Bass Pod Pro Rack Mount, QSC Head, Ampeg SVT Classic 8x10 Cabinet,Korg DTR-2000 Rack Tuner, ESP F-404FM Bass

MY BAND PAGE: WWW.MYSPACE.COM/CYLINDERBAND

At the beginning of the year I purchased a Peavey Cirrus 35" scale. After the original Cirrus strings wore out I ran into your problem. GHS boomers make a long scale string that fits. I personnally do not like GHS. I did have a leftover Ernie Ball super slinky set (34"). What the heck, I put them on. A,D,G strings fit perfect,the E had 1/4" hangover past the nut before it tapered. That was plenty for me, no issues. Ernie Balls are my string of choice and they fit my 35" Cirrus. Maybe your string of choice(34") just may fit your bass ok. good luck.

P.S.-- that Ibanez BTB-570FM keeps looking better and better...

Have you played a BTB before? That preamp is nasty. Any sort of active tone you want...you can get. Those basses are like melted butter in my hands: warm, sticky, gets on everything and contaminates my cooking.

What did you get, Rizzo? I'd be interested in what you think.

I bought this bass unplayed, unseen, and un-reviewed. It was a splurge, I'll admit it, but for just over $100 (after rebates/coupons) I could not help myself.

Should be here in a week or two, I will share my thoughts when it arrives.

I bought this bass unplayed, unseen, and un-reviewed. It was a splurge, I'll admit it, but for just over $100 (after rebates/coupons) I could not help myself.

Should be here in a week or two, I will share my thoughts when it arrives.

He's talking about this one:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/0/3/6/392036.jpg

Have fun with one, Rizzo! It'll probably be good in bar fights!

Most of them use the Bartolini MK2. I've messed around with a couple of them in music stores and it's pretty sweet. Sorry, I meant nasty/good. I'd like to try one of the Prestige line with the Bartolini BTB.

The one thing I like better about mine is that it has sweepable mids whereas the new ones don't.

Archived