Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads up on new Dudley Moore Trio DVD

Gary75

Just wanted to give you jazz piano guys a heads up on a new DVD taken from a concert in Australia in 1971. I got mine this morning and their is some truly great playing as well as some good laughs in a studio setting with a small audience. The sound quality is excellent. Footage is black and white but good quality footage. Nice Garner tribute, which he excels at.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes he won an organ scholarship at Oxford University here in the UK. Reading Rena Fruchter's book on his later years, she mentions a point in time where he had his three pianos moved (loved his Bosendorfer), and organ and speaker, I presume he had a Hammond/Leslie combo too. There's an interesting documentary on him on Youtube, aged 26, looking at the life of a composer/player.

Yeah,

I was in disbelief when I heard Dudley play. It was on TV maybe 10 years ago. He was excellent. This reminds me I don't know if he put out any CD's albums. Will have to look around. Another fellow I have been listening to alot is Mose Alison another underated player.

Regards,

Musicale

Theres a great warts and all interview with Dudley on the jazz professional site.

http://www.jazzprofessional.com/interviews/DudleyMoore.htm

I like how he isn't afraid to say what he likes and doesn't like...

In fact the jazz professional site is just fantastic as a whole... shame that the creator of the site (Ron Simmonds) died some years ago...

Also of note is the interview of Spike Milligan..

Thanks for that link. Made me smile when I read about his obsession with time. In Rena Fruchters book, she tells how he would constantly look at his watch, if you were one minute late, he'd be spotted looking at his watch. And how his attention span on one thing rarely lasted more than two hours before hs would start looking at his watch.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Dudley was a great pianist and truly multi-talented. He and his early comedy partner Peter Cook really set the mold for later British comedy like Monty Python by embracing the absurd. Fans of British comedy should search "Pete and Dud" on youtube. The two play a couple of working class Londoners expounding on topics of the day to hilarious effect. Watching Dudley's straight man try to keep a straight face is a joy. Also find their "One Leg to Few" skit a must see. The two ran a hugely successful club in London in mid 60's where Dudley's trio played in the basement and Cook MC'd comedy acts upstairs. For more bawdy efforts find their later "Derek and Clive" recordings, though not for the squeamish, especially when talking about Jayne Mansfield's anatomy and a lobster.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Ha, yes, to have been around in those years would have been great fun. In the Trio DVD he does a lot of Derek style speaking and their is some nice laughs in the set. I won't ruin it by telling anybody what's in it, I just suggest you jazz piano fans check it out, and it is for charity partially to help fund a cure for the condition he had and also to Music For All Seasons which provide musical therapy to the less fortunate in this world.

A man who can be a great comedian and a great musician is a saint in my books!

Archived