Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mostly OT: my life right now

Mr. Bizarro

It's been a while since I've posted. There haven't been any topics lately that I felt I had something to contribute to, and I've also been really busy. Now that I have some free time and I'm feeling extra narcissistic, it's time for an update.

Some of you might recall when I first posted I was getting ready to go to college. Well, I'm there, and have been since August 30th. I've been a lot busier than I expected, hence my inactivity on the forum. My concerns about fitting my equipment in the room were unnecessary; everything fits in here fine. (Let me add that outrageously drunk people and 3:00 a.m. fire alarms both suck.)

Musically, I think this is an ideal environment for me. I've met three bass players, all of whom I will readily acknowledge to be better than me, and I've heard reports of even more. There are dozens of other fantastic musicians as well. I've decided against a music major, since it would require me to take a zero-credit class all four years. But my music theory class is great; it refreshed my memory of the treble clef and I also learned the alto and tenor clefs. It looks like it will move on rapidly from here. On friday, my theory class was canceled, so a few of us wandered into a practice studio and jammed on the pianos. Only one of us was a "real" pianist, the other guy and I are other instrumentalists with a basic understanding of piano. It sounded great, surprisingly, and they want to start playing open mic nights as a piano trio. That's a bit of a daunting prospect for me. :freak:

(Of course, there are still the ubiquitous ambitious beginners who walk by and see my equipment, ask me to play, tell me they're "friends with Marilyn Manson and want to record a demo," and leave a number. Seriously, anybody impressed with my guitar playing must need a lot of work.)

As is my habit, I will close by bringing up my own doubts and concerns. I have rock climbing class on fridays, which is great fun, but it kills my hands and forearms. When I get down from the wall, I'm almost unable to untie the rope from my harness. For several hours afterwards, I can hardly hold a bass, let alone play it. I'm a bit worried about what effect that will have on my hands and ability to play comfortably, so any advice or reassurance will be welcome.

So, that's my completely unnecessary and wordy update. Now you know what I've been up to. Questions? Comments? Ridicule?

Here's a tip: Try to eat everything. You'd be surprised how much is edible.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to college...

it is full opportunities...

Opportunities to:

increase your knowledge in subjects that interest you, network with people with similar intrests, increase your musical knowledge, improve your skills on different instruments...

or you can just sit around and get drunk and stoned all day...

It's your choice.

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

Re: the wall climbing, I suspect it will get better as you do it more often. Your body and muscles need time to adapt and strengthen...... :thu:

Yes. And a few sit-ups wouldn't hurt either.....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

You'll get used to it once your hands and forearms toughen up. I don't climb on gig days. I've been doing it for years and I've got no problems. Just never dead hang with relaxed shoulders, that can damage your rotator cuff ligaments, and they take ages to heal. Trust me, once you've done that, certain positions for your arm are excruciatingly painful and will make even holding the bass impossible.

3am fire alarms, now that takes me back!

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'm glad college is (mostly) working out so far. It's a big adjustment.

Don't worry about other players who are "better". The same type of community that you (sometimes) find here can be generated at school. Everybody benefits and learns and can support each other. And usually, there's an opportunity for every player that works out.

Call your parents (we...er...they miss you)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Sooooo, majoring in music requires you to take a "zero-credit" class for four years, but you have a "rock-climbing" class?

Been a hella long time since I've been in college.

I can minor in music if I take that class for two years, which I'm pretty likely to do. Since I don't intend to teach music or do anything of that sort, majoring in music seems kind of silly to me. I do want to study a lot now that I have the opportunity. It's a liberal arts college, so I get plenty of chance to do that. Music is a hobby for me, so the music classes I do take are for my own enjoyment and enrichment.

The climbing class was sort of a whim. I think when I was registering for classes, I needed some PE credits or something. It was that or fly fishing, which I plan to take next semester. :D

Sooooo, majoring in music requires you to take a "zero-credit" class for four years, but you have a "rock-climbing" class?

Been a hella long time since I've been in college.

I can minor in music if I take that class for two years, which I'm pretty likely to do. Since I don't intend to teach music or do anything of that sort, majoring in music seems kind of silly to me. I do want to study a lot now that I have the opportunity. It's a liberal arts college, so I get plenty of chance to do that. Music is a hobby for me, so the music classes I do take are for my own enjoyment and enrichment.

Sounds reasonable.

The climbing class was sort of a whim. I think when I was registering for classes, I needed some PE credits or something. It was that or fly fishing, which I plan to take next semester. :D

Don't let Mutt know that he can fly fish for college credits. :eek:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

My eldest daughter is looking at Universities right now. Ah those happy days of sweating doing an engineering degree whilst all the arts students were lounging about. I haven't forgotten.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I've never been to college, although now I'm planning to do a distance degree.

The closest i've come to have that sort of enviroment was at the army, where the guys around you become your best mates in 5 minutes and that will remain forever. Great memories

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Some colleges offer an outdoor rec major... That's right, you can get a degree in fun! :thu:

No lounging around for me, my calculus alone is enough to keep me up half the night.

Wow. So, over my lifetime, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 hours?

Take the course Bizzaro. It is much more zen-like than rock climbing and easier on your body. When you get past 40 (or into your 60's like Flank there) this becomes important. Every winter I'm reminded of how much I loved football. :freak:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Archived