Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg Keyboard

SilverDragonSoun

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copyright 2007? Did they design it last year and hold it up until M3 sales started leveling off?

Based on the brief description, looks like maybe it replaces the KARMA in the lineup.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Korg KARMA was discontinued years ago. The M50 will eventually replace the X50 and TR series.

KARMA II technology is available in the Oasys and M3--they are both current models--not being discontinued anytime soon from what I've heard.

:cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

There are still some Karmas in stores around here, and I know people who've bought them within the past two years. I didn't realise it was officially discontinued.

I am aware of the KARMA II technology being inside the OASYS and M3 series. It was more the interface of the M50 that looked like it was addressing some of the same audience.

I had forgotten about the X50 though, so you may be right that it fills that niche. I haven't checked lately to see whether the entire Triton series, or a subset thereof, is still available.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh, I see from the Korg Japan website that there are actually three models: 61, 73, and 88 keys. So it seems more Triton Lite oriented than X50-ish.

Wondering if it'll use the M3 series keybeds.

According to korg.com, "both 73* and 61 note versions are available, sporting a new semi-weighted Natural Touch keyboard. This new fast and responsive synthesizer keybed facilitates expressive and dynamic performing. Tipping the scales at a mere 46 pounds, the seriously portable 88 key version features our top-of-the-line RH3 Graded Hammer Action."

Sounds like identical actions to those found in the M3.

Also the description of the sounds reads like the updated M3 expanded soundset (for the most part).

I dig the M1 retro look with the backlit red buttons and black color.

The manual is available online so this one should be coming available in a month or two, I would think.

Busch.

I dig the M1 retro look with the backlit red buttons and black color.

Right there with ya'... I've been jonesing after an M3M - maybe this will be more favorable to my wallet...

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

The M50 sounds like something I want to demo soon...I've played the Juno Stage and I agree with some of the folks on the other thread - the action is a little "cheesy". Hopefully Korg does a little better job.
Alesis QS8, Roland Juno G, Roland XP-10 (ret.), Hammond XK-2, Peavey KB5

According to the press release at HC:

"The 61- and 88-note Korg M50 Music Workstation will be available in November with MSRPs of $1,499 and $2,499. A 73-key version will be available in early 2009 with pricing TBA."

The manual is online, which is a good sign. Also they didn't pre-announce because of a trade show. They did it on their timetable.

Busch.

check out their press video on the korg site. i know that the local stores (sam ash, guitar center) had the new fantoms pretty quick. so this will come in quick. there are already preorders on sweetwaters site. would be interested in checking out the 73 key one. i do not need another 88 key. my back cant handle that.

http://www.korg.com/KMplay/NSplay.htm?path=http://video.korgusa.com/km/M50_full.wmv

i think i have enough gear........well maybe one more.

I am still amazed. I listened to all the demos and imho software synths sound so much better these days than anything I hear on this I am suprised people still buy hardware synths such as this, unless they are playing live......

rsp

richard sven

sound sculptist

I am still amazed. I listened to all the demos and imho software synths sound so much better these days than anything I hear on this I am suprised people still buy hardware synths such as this, unless they are playing live......

rsp

Some people are still playing live, mate.

Yesterday I've dug my Korg out of the closet, and was blown away by how playable it was compared to most soft synths.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Korg never ceases to surprise us. A friend of mine works and/or has worked for all of the major vendors (and some of the minor ones and defunct ones as well), and he comments that Korg is in some ways the most exciting because you never know what they'll do next.

Considering the release date, this must mean something even bigger and more exciting is being saved up for NAMM :-).

I wasn't sure whether the pricing on the M50 was street price or "retail price". It looks like Triton LE pricing though.

10/2 according to AMS

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSearch--search-korg-m50--srcin-1

I am really diggin this

Interesting the M50 88 for $1800. There is a M3 88 key on ebay for 2300. For five bills more this is a great deal on the M3 considering all the stuff you lose with the M50.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I'd venture a guess that you can get both of them for less money.

The MAP prices is not the bottom line.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I just ebayed my M3-88 for $2300. I still have the M3-76.

One of the things that makes the M50 line attractive is that it looks to have the same actions as the M3. The semi-weighted 61/76 (on the M3) is excellent and the weighted action is certainly decent. I see the M50-88 as potentially more of an S90ES competitor. The thing we're going to have to find out is the build quality. Does it feel like an entry level synth or not? The M50 has a very nice display (though monochrome) and a full sequencer. These are also very good controllers with 16 zones and a decent set of control.

If the M50 feels pro, it's going to win some fans no doubt. At 46 lbs, it ain't too outrageous.

Busch.

This excites me. In fact I am baout to order one. The 88 version.

I've been looking to get into an 88 version of something like this for a while. I have a Triton Extreme 61, so I already am very familiar with Korg's user interface. I.e., won't be a real learning curve.

I am re-doing my live rig, and with the new M50, and the price point of the 88, I can get down to one keyboard on stage.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• 2 weeks later...

Just for info, I demo'd this keyboard at the weekend here in the UK. My biggest concern is that it doesn't seem to be set up for live performance in the same way as the Juno Stage...there are no handy 'favourite' sections or easy-call up of patches.

It sounds great, though.

Archived