Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: For you non-Southerners

Jode

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's true...Florida's not a southern state. However! my family's about as southern as they come...and my stepmom's from Texas so I can genuinely understand.

I've been trying to explain this concept to people since I moved up here but nobody seems to understand.

Virginia BBQ = suckbag idiots faking the NC style.

I'm from NH, and can out-smoke every one of these idiots on my Brinkman. :eek:

WOW! That sounds like a challenge. Might be time for a VA low down get together or move the BBB fest down here for a weekend. I know someone who BBQ's professionally and it is ridiculously good.

Coming from someone of size:) I don't discriminate as to who makes or where the BBQ comes from.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Ah, North Carolina pulled pork.

When I lived there I went native -- my neighbors and I would roast a pig every year, old school. Cooked slow over charcoal in a cinderblock pit.

After about 20 hours it was just falling of the bone, pink and perfect -- food of the gods.

I had a dipstick installed in the back of my neck, to check for when I'd get a quart low on sauce.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Virginia BBQ = suckbag idiots faking the NC style.

I'm from NH, and can out-smoke every one of these idiots on my Brinkman. :eek:

WOW! That sounds like a challenge. Might be time for a VA low down get together or move the BBB fest down here for a weekend. I know someone who BBQ's professionally and it is ridiculously good.

Coming from someone of size:) I don't discriminate as to who makes or where the BBQ comes from.

Word. I'm down for a Lowdown Throwdown! :D

Just so as y'know, I have four rubs and two bastes that I use. I don't believe in BBQ sauce - if you need sauce on your pork (or beef, or chicken, for that matter) then you done burned it, and you may as well throw it out.

The only good pig is a dead pig.

And the only good dead pig is one that has been smoked slowly over a bed of hardwood charcoal.

And the only good dead pig that has been smoked slowly over a bed of hardwood charcoal is one that received this treatment in the great State of NORTH CAROLINA. Preferably somewhere near Salisbury.

SOLO!

Virginia: You are the birthplace of Robert E. Lee, and you have Richmond, the once and future :whistle: capitol of the Confederacy. Don't go and try to take BBQ superiority for yourselves as well. You are out of your league in that regard.

(And I don't care if Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Jacksonville. Florida is NOT a southern state)

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

The only good pig is a dead pig.

And the only good dead pig is one that has been smoked slowly over a bed of hardwood charcoal.

And the only good dead pig that has been smoked slowly over a bed of hardwood charcoal is one that received this treatment in the great State of NORTH CAROLINA. Preferably somewhere near Salisbury.

SOLO!

Virginia: You are the birthplace of Robert E. Lee, and you have Richmond, the once and future :whistle: capitol of the Confederacy. Don't go and try to take BBQ superiority for yourselves as well. You are out of your league in that regard.

(And I don't care if Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Jacksonville. Florida is NOT a southern state)

Pffft.

This damned Yankee (yeah, that's right, I showed up and haven't left) will show you a thing or two about BBQ.

While you all are still waiting for your 14-hour Boston Butts (Imagine that, Southerners cooking Boston Butts for pulled pork :D ), I'm serving up pork loins that are smoked to perfection in two hours, chicken thighs that practically squirt juice at you they're so moist in less than three hours, and beef brisket that will bring the Texans groveling on their knees for second helpings in under four. And I don't even own a "professional" smoking rig. :evil:

Believe me, I know this.

We had barbecue ordered for folks at the office tonight. There were three meat dishes to choose from. And can you believe that

not one of them was pork? Barbecue heathens!!!

But on the upside, the pulled chicken was oh so smoky. :thu:

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

This is just like no pics of a new fish.... If I ain't tasted it then it don't exsist!!

Brocko

*PM for care package address :)

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I guess you guys like barbecues . . .

I wonder what the origins of it as such a macho sport are?

Is it the number one US passion?

No, but among those of us who ply the trade, it is definitely a passion! :D

And for those who wait hungrily to feast on our wares, it is absolutely a passion! :thu:

Yes, it's true...Florida's not a southern state.

i have said this since i lived in mississippi. but i also think that the UK is not part of europe, either. politically, certainly they are. ut if you've been to both the mainland and the UK, you'll understand that they are culturally very different.

as for barbecue, it is grating that people up here use the word as a verb to describe grilling. it's a cookout, or grilling, it's not a barbecue or barbecuing. barbecue is a specific type of food. nobody says they're having a fajita to describe the act of cooking and eating mexican food. why is barbecue so disparaged?

robb.

I guess you guys like barbecues . . .

I wonder what the origins of it as such a macho sport are?

Is it the number one US passion?

No, but among those of us who ply the trade, it is definitely a passion! :D

And for those who wait hungrily to feast on our wares, it is absolutely a passion! :thu:

+1 :rawk:

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

as for barbecue, it is grating that people up here use the word as a verb to describe grilling. it's a cookout, or grilling, it's not a barbecue or barbecuing.

This stems from confusion in the North - on the boxes their little gas grills (eek) come in, it says "Barbecue (or BBQ) Grill" - hence they call it "Barbecuing" or "having a Barbecue" in the North.

"Barbecue:

1657, from Amer.Sp. barbacoa, from Arawakan (Haiti) barbakoa "framework of sticks," the raised wooden structure the Indians used to either sleep on or cure meat. Originally "meal of roasted meat or fish," modern popular noun sense of "grill for cooking over an open fire" is 1931."

www.etymonline.com

"People not from the South

Think barbecue means 'cookout'

And that's something they're wrong about"

Shortly after I moved to Tucson, I attended a company 'barbecue' where hotdogs, burgers, and brats were served. No pork, no chicken, no brisket, no sauce, no dry rub, no nothin'. I exclaimed, "God dammit, this is a COOKOUT! Where's the pulled pork? You lyin' sonsabitches! I could've gone to Carl's Jr. if I wanted a damn burger!"

Barbecue is not a verb. And barbecue is not a grill. Tater salad and an open flame do not a barbecue make.

Nawth Cahlina? Vuhjinny? Huh! Y'all boys got no idee what barbeque IS, iffin y'ain't never been to KC...

Hell, I like'em all. I do not discriminate. There are pitched battles over which is best, but I say they're each and all some kind of wonderful.

I will give this bit of advice for the uninitiated: No matter where you are searching for barbecue, you should smell it cooking from at least a block away. A good barbecue restaurant - or private party - vastly improves the air quality in its immediate vicinity. If you do not smell meat being slow-smoked over some form of aromatic wood such as hickory or mesquite from a minimum of fifty yards away, just skip it - there won't be any barbecue inside. You don't walk into a place that serves quality 'cue - you float in on the heavenly aroma, and you need a few seconds to regain your bearings before perusing the menu. It may even get you a DUI driving into the parking lot, if you're not careful.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Having spent a lot of time in the Panhandle - my parents live in Fort Walton Beach - I would respectfully disagree. Hell, there ain't no redneck nowhere that's redder than the "Boggy Boys," from the Boggy Bayou area around Niceville. They're the ones that get arrested at carnivals and football games for getting drunk and knifing each other.

Like California, Florida is actually two states - the redneck northern and central area, and the pastel-airbrushed-NY-retiree south. North Florida should basically secede from south Florida. Just draw a line about thirty miles inland, going from the Big Bend, down around the west coast, and back up the east coast, tapering off just north of Daytona, and make that one state. The Panhandle and central Florida, all the way down to the Everglades, should be a separate state. You think there ain't no rednecks down there in Gator Country, you got another think comin'.

"My great, great, great, great-grand-uncle - General Beauregard Grizzard - fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War. He was in charge of keeping Yankees out of Miami. I tell ya, Florida's gone to hell since ol' Uncle Beauregard left."

-- Lewis Grizzard

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived