Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A really BIG oops.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]I'm for fair punishment. Award the guy a million bucks AND remove the doctor's unit. [/b][/quote]With a million bucks I guess he could afford the MM CD. :eek: :rolleyes:

There is no possible justification for this. Even if the penis had actually been cancerous, it's not up to the doctor to remove a body part without consent! I think 99% of doctors are heroes. The other 1% (those that are unqualified, or those that get a god complex) need to be removed and dealt with harshly. - Jeff

[quote]There is no possible justification for this. Even if the penis had actually been cancerous, it's not up to the doctor to remove a body part without consent! [/quote]Certainly consent is the crux of the issue. I have personally consented patients to surgery or other procedures and for surgery particularly the consent form almost always includes a clause stating something along the lines of "the if the cancer has spread blah blah blah the doctor may perform additionaly surgery as deemed necessary if in the patient's best interest." I imagine that the doctor thought this was in the patient's best interest. HOWEVER Something as major as a "penilectomy" should certainly have been discussed beforehand. And not sending a sample to the pathology lab during the operation BEFORE cutting of his member was absolute negligence. They have pathologists on call to look at a specimen in like 15 minutes from when it comes out of the guy's body. So in my opinion this guy has a case, but it's probably not too strong in the consent area, it's more of a negligence case. Casey

[quote]Originally posted by Salieri: [b]Jeff I think your ratio may be a bit off :eek: [/b][/quote]I'm an optimist. I heard the leading cause of death was that people aren't made to last forever, so they stop breathing and stuff at some point. One of the definitions of life is that at some point, it ends. Make the most of it while you got it! :thu: - Jeff

Well, I'm alive today because of surgery, so I'm not willing to condemn doctors unilaterally. That said, I have known quite a few people who have been screwed up - and even killed - as a result of surgical procedures and surgery-related infections. I know more people who've been seriously injured in surgery than in car accidents. The article advises us to understand our doctors, and they should understand us. The trouble is that the doc usually stops by for about two and a half minutes and then runs out the door. And while he's talking to you, you can tell that his mind is elsewhere. What are these guys thinking about when they're at the table? Their portfolios? Their boat payments? The nurses that they're banging? I see surgery as a last resort and would submit to it ONLY when I'm convinced that (a) the doc is well-versed in my case, and (b) that there is absolutely no other option for successful resolution of the problem.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived