Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard/Digital Piano Rig Rentals

ozrufus

Thought I'd tap the collective wisdom and experience of the forum.

What are the going rates for rentals these days for a digital piano (a la Yamaha CP, Roland RD, Kurzweil PC) with stand? What about piano/stand + an amp (Motion Sound KP200S, Roland, etc.)?

Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music store rental rates used to be MSRP * 0.15 = Monthly charge; Monthly / 2 = weekly; weekly / 2 = daily. That should get you a ballpark.

Of course, none of this makes a lick of difference if Frederisksburg, VA (or wherever you're planning on renting) has some special tariff on rentals. Why don't you just pick up the phone and call? :confused:

Backline is usually bass and drum kits. Keyboards can be backline to but you don't see it as much. It depends on the band.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

@ Synthoid: Because backline is typically bass rig and drum kit, I presume the typical "behind band" aspect is where the term comes from.

@ozrufus: You can try Backline Source, www.backlinesource.com, and find the phone numbers on their home page. If they ask (not that they necessarily would), you can let them know it was from one of the bands (in my sig) that played at the Fremont Festival of the Arts (Backline Source serviced this event).

Why don't you just pick up the phone and call? :confused:

Who said I haven't?

Your thread implies that to be the case, whether intended or not.

Thanks for your help!

Whether that's sarcasm or not, you're still welcome. I might suggest you could provide a bit more information in your posts, you might get more pertinent information... as some have interpreted that you're looking to rent from a backline provider for a single gig, perhaps in another town/state... while I inferred that you were considering a rental from a local music store for a longer term (i.e. monthly).

Just a suggestion. ;)

You could get a price quote from ProTech Audio in Wheaton MD, outside Washington DC. I know they rent PA equipment, and believe they have some keyboards. I think I was quoted $75 to rent a single JBL Eon 15 powered speaker for a weekend (I declined).

IMHO, renting such gear is only reasonable for a one-time gig in a distant location (the Grateful Dead renting instruments for a concert at the Melkweg in Amsterdam springs to mind) or perhaps when you need special equipment (e.g., small band suddenly needs bigger PA for bigger gig). If you're looking for a long-term rental in lieu of purchase, you would probably be better off saving for the purchase, or buying on credit, so that you own the gear within a year.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

IMHO, renting such gear is only reasonable for a one-time gig in a distant location (the Grateful Dead renting instruments for a concert at the Melkweg in Amsterdam springs to mind) or perhaps when you need special equipment (e.g., small band suddenly needs bigger PA for bigger gig). If you're looking for a long-term rental in lieu of purchase, you would probably be better off saving for the purchase, or buying on credit, so that you own the gear within a year.

Or when you don't want to depreciate the capital costs of gear over multiple years, but would rather write off 100% of the expense of renting gear on your business taxes for the year of the expenditure. Sure, you pay more, but you save more. You also get to update every year, and always ensure that your gear is covered under warranty.

Not for everyone (and perhaps U.S. tax laws are different, I'm referring to Canadian), but a viable option for some. :cool:

Archived