Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not bad for a free village concert...

Graham56

Ive just come back from a family holiday on the west coast of France. In the summer months the small towns on that coast all put on various local events some free, some with a small charge. They range from amateurish village concert things to some real diamonds.

So when I checked the list for the town nearby, I saw a listing for Tinariwen. I knew very little about them apart from the fact Phil and Jeremy had been singing their praises, so my 16-year-old daughter and I went to have a look.

A great evening it was too. A small stage with a good sound, outside, on a summers evening. A small but enthusiastic crowd of locals and holidaymakers (all ages).

The band had a warm, full sound, with material ranging from mellow, laid-back and hypnotic to absolutely cooking tunes that you could not stand still to. And what a rhythm section! Dressed in full desert gear with robe, headcloth and facecloth, the bassist laid down lovely rhythmic patterns while still providing a full deep bottom to the songs, leaving space for the guitarists to play light, jangly rhythms that weaved in and out of each other. Kind of like a Tony Levin with African influences, all played left-handed on an upside-down righty G and L (I think).

The drummer played one of those skin drums between his knees and created an amazing variety of rhythmic effects and tones all with bare hands and one skin.

Three guys played guitar, two of whom sang, while there was vocal section with two women and another man who produced these slightly harsh, wailing harmonies that worked brilliantly.

I dont know enough about the history and sociology of this music, but it seemed that they were blending influences from African and Western sources (which, of course, were themselves influenced by African music in the first place). A circle of influences I guess. I could also hear echoes the Doors and of Scottish and Irish traditional sounds in there too.

I didnt understand a word of the lyrics, but it all worked brilliantly well live. And not bad for a free show! (Well, paid for by the local taxpayers anyway...)

So, the moral is when you travel, always keep an eye on the local listings. You never know what you might stumble across.

Oh, and if you ever get the chance, go and see these guys.

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I am jealous. I really like Tinariwen, as you said, I can't understand the words, but the music is great.

I discovered this band through a music blog and iTunes, but I haven't seen them yet.

IF I remember correctly, Tinariwen are Algerian Berbers, just FYI. The music has so many influences in it, hints of Sub Saharan Africa, Andalusia, North African shabia.

Thanks for reminding me of these guys, I haven't listened to them in a while.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived