Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Clockwork Orange

The Puzo "Godfather" was owned by Paramount from the start, before the book was fully written. You would hope that the translation to the film would be faithful. Robert Evans was brilliant in his use of novels as promotional vehicles for films. Between "Love Story" and "The Godfather" Evans brough Paramount back from the brink of death. Gulf Western was going to dissolve Paramount shortly before "Love Story" If they did remake "Clockwork", who'd do the music? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: If they did remake "Clockwork", who'd do the music? [/quote]Whichever bunch of current acts would sell a soundtrack.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

"Originally posted by Ted Nightshade: did someone say Phillip K. Dick? The one they should do is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Blade Runner was a travesty of that excellent book with fantastic screenplay potential. Harrison Ford was perfect casting, for the original story... ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You're joking, right? Blade Runner is hardly faithful to the book but it's a magnificent film. -------------- not kidding, "Why Do Androids" has unrealized potential... speaking of Phillip K. Dick, his books "Flow My Tears the Policeman Said" and "Through a Scanner Darkly" are just too great for words. Intense, scary insight from the elder PK Dick. I saw Clockwork Orange on acid and for absurd juvenile reasons, my girlfriend and I had to pretend that we weren't on acid in front of some boy while we watched it. It was gruelling, to say the least. I didn't like it much, but it's relevance has been apparent to me on numerous chilling occasions over the years since then...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac: [b]Why not make an original film instead. Minority Report is a good example of a new film that had something to say. I'm a Kubrick fan so I can't see anyone touching his stuff.[/b][/quote]I agree -- Minority Report, by the was very "Kubrick," via AI. Spielburg's use of Kubrick in AI was clunky, and ultimately cheezy. But having cut his teeth on AI, Minority Report is a much more convincing and sophisticated "use" of Kubrick -- the most Kubrick-esque movie ever made by anyone not, in fact, Kubrick! Good movie too. Bumped into it during production. Even by major movie standards, Minority Report was a tremendous effort. Fantastic lighting and attention to details. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]A remake? How the hell could you possibly top the original?[/b][/quote]This is my vote, too. My VERY STRONG vote. Goldmine? The film is still banned in Britain, if I'm not mistaken. There goes a big chunk of your foreign release market. Did the Kubrick version make a lot of money? I don't think so. Hollywood would SO screw this up. Pete, Georgie, and Dim would be Asian, Black, and Hispanic, preferably played by pretty-boy rappers with no acting experience. Instead of "Singin' in the Rain," they'd beat people up to the tune of "Livin' la Vida Loca." Jennifer Lopez or Charlize Theron would have a role, even though there are no significant roles for young women. They'd probably find a way to wedge Gene Hackman or Al Pacino in there, too. The whole idea is vomit inspiring.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]A remake? How the hell could you possibly top the original?[/b][/quote]This is my vote, too. My VERY STRONG vote. Goldmine? The film is still banned in Britain, if I'm not mistaken. There goes a big chunk of your foreign release market. Did the Kubrick version make a lot of money? I don't think so. Hollywood would SO screw this up. Pete, Georgie, and Dim would be Asian, Black, and Hispanic, preferably played by pretty-boy rappers with no acting experience. Instead of "Singin' in the Rain," they'd beat people up to the tune of "Livin' la Vida Loca." Jennifer Lopez or Charlize Theron would have a role, even though there are no significant roles for young women. They'd probably find a way to wedge Gene Hackman or Al Pacino in there, too. The whole idea is vomit inspiring.[/b][/quote]That's why I said I thought it would be cool if you had great people involved with the project.

The only way to remake this film is with an indie studio with major money. Other wise the politically incorrect aspects of this movie, which are at the very core, would be lost. Think about that one... no one would make this film today because too many people would get offended, and also the psychological aspects of it would go right over most people's heads. That's what is wrong with movies anymore. There are very few truly mind bending movies nowadays because the audiences need to have it all spelled out. (or so the major studios say because its guaranteed bank) Look at the some of the movies of earlier times for example: The Usual Suspects took me a few views to fully understand the awesome twist. Now that's one example, I know there are more, but its 2 am and my brain is asleep. I know there are plenty of movies from other eras that cook the mind in juicy ways too. OT: Blade Runner was an EXCELLENT film in its own right. Not very true to the book that's for sure, but it was a huge influence on me musically. The absolutely gorgeous score by Vangelis is what got me into analog synthesis! I could go on for hours...
"The heart of the machine is evolving, the soul has emerged, and all who embrace it will reach Teknotic Nirvana." ~ Nos Tehbi "Book of the Teknos"

This film is so good, I don't see the point in anyone remaking it. New books, stories, scripts and ideas are created every day - more than enough fodder for filmmakers. Personally, I've been waiting for someone make a children's film out of the book, "The Twenty-One Balloons."

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]A remake? How the hell could you possibly top the original?[/b][/quote]This is my vote, too. My VERY STRONG vote. Goldmine? The film is still banned in Britain, if I'm not mistaken. There goes a big chunk of your foreign release market. Did the Kubrick version make a lot of money? I don't think so. Hollywood would SO screw this up. Pete, Georgie, and Dim would be Asian, Black, and Hispanic, preferably played by pretty-boy rappers with no acting experience. Instead of "Singin' in the Rain," they'd beat people up to the tune of "Livin' la Vida Loca." Jennifer Lopez or Charlize Theron would have a role, even though there are no significant roles for young women. They'd probably find a way to wedge Gene Hackman or Al Pacino in there, too. The whole idea is vomit inspiring.[/b][/quote]CO was never banned in the UK. Kubrick was one of the few directors to have absolute control over his work and, after getting death threats, he withdrew his film. It's now available again, sadly because of Kubrick's death.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Ted: [quote] I saw Clockwork Orange on acid and for absurd juvenile reasons, my girlfriend and I had to pretend that we weren't on acid in front of some boy while we watched it. [/quote]Now [i]that's[/i] crazy. Have you seen it sober since? That's the only way that I've ever seen it, and it still fucked me up. :)

---------

-Guruman-

[quote]Originally posted by meriphew: [b]I think if you got some great up and coming indie filmmakers with a nice budget and a great special fx team, and some well cast actors, you could do an incredible remake of Clockwork.[/b][/quote]I think you're right... [i]Any[/i] film could be remade well. [i]No[/i] writer or directors work is sacrosanct. It's just a film after all, a [i]movie[/i], a visual representation of a story. And a film is one director's interpretation of a story, but not the only interpretation. I think the worst remakes, are those that are essentially scene-for-scene, shot-for-shot duplicates of the original. The best remakes are those that approach the story from a new angle and without any preconceived notions. Very difficult to do for both the filmmaker and the audience which is probably why many (most?) remakes aren't very good. Nevertheless, it [i]can[/i] be done and the more people protest that a particular film should never be remade becuase the original is [i]so[/i] "perfect", the more the rebel in me would like to see it remade.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Senior Member Member # 29190 posted 08-11-2003 09:40 AM                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ted: quote: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I saw Clockwork Orange on acid and for absurd juvenile reasons, my girlfriend and I had to pretend that we weren't on acid in front of some boy while we watched it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Now that's crazy. Have you seen it sober since? That's the only way that I've ever seen it, and it still fucked me up. --------------- No, but I got it loud and clear the first time! I'm *extremely* allergic to cinematic or TV depictions of rape, so I doubt I will ever see it again... A well-intentioned but excitable neighbor was on a rant about how Tim McVeigh should have had his eyelids taped open and be made to watch scenes of children dying... at that moment, I fully appreciated the better intentions of A Clockwork Orange.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived