Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Clockwork Orange

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]Why would they? It has no explosions in it.[/b][/quote]No, but it does have a bit of the old [i]ultra violence...[/i] ;) I think a re-make could be good, but I don't think it would be a big commercial hit (I don't think the original was either). I'd like to see Tim Burton direct, or perhaps Jim Jarmusch. I'm with Meriphew on Ewan McGregor as Alex, or if he's busy maybe Johnny Depp.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

[quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]Why would they? It has no explosions in it.[/b][/quote]No, but it does have a bit of the old [i]ultra violence...[/i] ;) I think a re-make could be good, but I don't think it would be a big commercial hit (I don't think the original was either). I'd like to see Tim Burton direct, or perhaps Jim Jarmusch. I'm with Meriphew on Ewan McGregor as Alex, or if he's busy maybe Johnny Depp.[/b][/quote]Yep, lashings of the old ultra violence. I pity anyone trying to imitate Kubrick though, even Speilberg fucked up trying to finish AI. I still wake up screaming sometimes when I have nightmares about that shite remake of Psycho too :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I'm with Lee Flier and Dave Bryce. Leave the classics alone... especially edgy material like Clockwork Orange. Heck, they couldn't get The Music Man right (I like Matthew Broderick, but he's NO Robert Preston)... How is someone going to get Clockwork Orange remade well?!?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. Me and a friend once got on these type of topics, and tried to come up with a way we'd "update" the old flick "The Day The Earth Stood Still". We came up with all kinds of "Star Wars"-"Close Encounters" type spacecraft, a droid type robot instead of the giant Gort, and all kinds of shit, and finally decided that the smooth, seamless craft in the original couldn't be topped, and the menacing Gort should only look less "rubbery" when it moved. The only real changes to be made were to work out: 1. How to get Klaatu inside the craft when in reality it would most likely be guarded by more than TWO G.I.'s with M-1's, and 2. How Gort is going to travel across Washington D.C. to a jailhouse, recover Klaatu's body and carry it back to the spaceship without ever being seen! Those two instances always tickled me. Quite often, remakes of classic films never work, especially if updated. The only two at the moment I can think of that did were "Point Blank"(remade as Mel Gibson's "Payback"), and "Kiss Of Death". Remakes that attempt to simply "re-do" the original in it's original time setting appeal to me more. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I hate "all remakes" and all "sequels",unless they are trashy to begin with(Freddie v/s Jason),and even then.....Please God,let them leave Clockwork Orange alone.But,knowing how Hollywood's lack of imagination led them to this remake/sequel frenzy,they'll probably do it after they've remade and sequeled everything else to death.Why can't the terrorists do us all a favor and focus on Hollywood?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by meriphew: [b]Anyone else think it's strange that no one from Hollywood has jumped all over doing a remake of this movie yet?[/b][/quote]A remake of this excellent film would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. You're right, it is strange that they haven't done it :freak: After what they did to Psycho nothing would surprise me :confused: :(

[quote]Originally posted by Salieri: [b]After what they did to Psycho nothing would surprise me[/b][/quote]Yup!Come to think of it,there probably is a hip-hop/rap/black version of it planned,there just waiting for 50cents approval for the lead role.Will Beehtoven by sampled in snippets with rap overtop powerd by shitty drum samples?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I hope they leave it alone. After seeing the movie I never sing "singing in the rain" the same way again. :D I do think the "price of invasive justice" issue, should be explored further. In creative ways ... like Phillip Dick's [i]Minority Report[/i]. :thu: Best, Jerry

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]A remake? How the hell could you possibly top the original?[/b][/quote]Hmmm, how about... "A Digital Clockwork Genetically Modified Orange"? (pithless of course) :freak:
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

Why not make an original film instead. Minority Report is a good example of a new film that had something to say. I'm a Kubrick fan so I can't see anyone touching his stuff.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

did someone say Phillip K. Dick? :eek: :love: The one they should do is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Blade Runner was a travesty of that excellent book with fantastic screenplay potential. Harrison Ford was perfect casting, for the original story...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

[quote]Originally posted by Ted Nightshade: [b]did someone say Phillip K. Dick? :eek: :love: The one they should do is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Blade Runner was a travesty of that excellent book with fantastic screenplay potential. Harrison Ford was perfect casting, for the original story...[/b][/quote]You're joking, right? ;) Blade Runner is hardly faithful to the book but it's a magnificent film. I have a feeling that remakes in the future may not be limited to film, anyone interested in Clockwork Orange for the Playstation?
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I'm pretty sure that Spielberg vowed to do a remake shortly after Kubrick's death. Personally, I don't know what would drive someone to do a remake of a movie as disturbing as CO. That's one fucked up movie if I do say so myself :eek: .

[quote]Originally posted by Salieri: [b]I actually read the book [i]A Clockwork Orange[/i] prior to watching the film, and IMO it is one of the best book to film adaptations I've ever seen. If you haven't read the novel I highly recommend it.[/b][/quote]I fully agree. I've read it several times. It takes a little while (and a bit of flipping to the back of the book) to get the slang language they use down, but it's a wonderful read; and, IMO, one of the best book/screen translations I've come across. Andromeda Strain was another film that was pretty faithful to the book...Godfather, too... dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived