Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why is technology now more important then talent?

I have noticed the focus on technology on this board. technology has made people very lazy. they rely on the pitch shifters, editing programs, fake instruments, samples, everything buy hardwork and brainpower. technology is not real instruments and real vocal talent. nothing can replace real players. all these technology is now the focus and talent is now lost in the shuffle. people seem so much more concerned about sound quality and having something very hot and in your face. years ago, the formats were not as hot..or in your face..you had to turn up the volume. you can still work with analog and then put it on cd. but cd is not as beautiful as vinyl. but artists can not control the world , they can only control their art. most artists can not afford vinyl, tapes and cd duplication. NOt in the beginning. The most important thing is to focus in art and quality of art. quality of recording is important. sonic quality is important. cds are not that terrible. but they lack depth. people should still respect musicians and support them. and they should not expect musicians to hand them something for nothing. people spend 100 dollars a month of cigarettes. people don't think anything about buying a bottle whiskey. eres told me that. people spend tons of money on beer. Art should have more value then these things. And they are healthier for the mind and body. :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on ... just ignore the troll FFS. If it hadn't been fed so well already, it wouldn't still be around here.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Sorry for replying... But I just had to comment one thing... Notice how the Troll starts off saying that all our focus on gear and technology is so bad, but then goes on and stresses the importance of sonic quality and vinyl vs CD's etc.? Marissa: Stop. Think. Then write. You actually, have some good points, but your conclusion that this allows you to charge $100 for a CD is just so far off the mark that it's hilarious. But, I'm sure the other people here are right. It's probably just a marketing gimmick to get people to buy your CDs when you lower the price to $18.95.

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Talent can be maximized in any number of ways, using some very old and very common knowledge. Technology changes every day, and people are more likely to need to ask one another's help with it. Satisfied?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Technology is what we do, coupled with an artistic pursuit. Happily, I can play circles around Marissa on the piano, and several other instruments (and I have a conservatory degree to boot!), and my cat can sing better than her. Seriously, after listening to the intonation issues of a couple of Marissa's cuts, perhaps she'd better take advantage of some of what technology has to offer. It isn't about art or interpretation in this case, it's simply about correct pitch, and she's off. Period. It's silly to be a Luddite when you suck.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

GOOD GOD "WOMAN" CAN YOU STOP POSTING CRAP!?! Ask anyone here...I dont post much and when a piece of crap rolls around i never post anything but they usually stop after 20 different posts. Not you though...youre special. You stay and no one likes you. takes a special type of woman to do that...I bet your gay. You have to be insanely butch to be that tough. Youre either gay or a transexual. Not ruling that possiblity yet, its hard to judge with some people. Ok i'm done
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

[quote]Originally posted by LindseyR: [b]I have noticed the focus on technology on this board.[/b][/quote]On the contrary. While we take our technology issues very seriously (Music, other than Acapella, requires some kind of technology, be it a two sticks banging together or a high dollar computer.), it has been my experience that most people here are extremely concerned with the lack of talent and creativity in pop music, as well as learning how to accomplish their own creative goals through learning new techniques, both on instruments and recording gear. There are a lot of posters who have repeatedly expressed interest in comparatively low tech music genres, with great reverence. Just because people don't like your music doesn't mean they're misguided.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by LindseyR: [b]but cd is not as beautiful as vinyl. [/b][/quote]Really? Go back to vinyl for a week or so and I'll bet you'll be begging to have your CD's back. I actually agree with much of what you are saying, but like Joachim P. Dyndale basically said; I think your conclusions are too extreme. By the way: 1) I don't care how much Marissa wants to charge for her CD's... It's her right to charge as much as she wants for them. 2) I agree that Marissa has come off brash and egotistical and downright eccentric to many of us here, but I think people are being WAY TOO hard on her. I'm not just saying that because she turns me on either. I really think a lot of you people have lost your cool with her. Chill, people...

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

We've lost our cool because she's not a contributing member of our community. All she's doing is assaulting us with vain attempts to get us to listen to her music. She hasn't asked one actual question. She hasn't asked one person's opinion. She hasn't said [i]anything[/i] about her music, other than that it's good. You know as well as I do that we're a fairly closely knit society here. We openly welcome all new members, but she doesn't want to be a member. She wants to hawk her wares. I'll take Curve's hot-headedness over this stupid troll anyday.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

The live performance is the ultimate communication for me, artist to audience. Second to that it takes varying degrees of technology to transcribe and reproduce the performance (live or studio - track by track). Once you step into that world you have to understand the curves of your equipment and your ears and play by those rules. I would pick experiencing a good live performance first over listening to the same performance on any medium (this is only 2003 though so you go with what you have). If I hear a performance and it moves me then I would pick up a reproduction of the same so it would tickle my memories. Something like cover charge, ticket, commercial CD, beer - that was mentioned too. That could cost $100 for both the wife and I. Where's the performance ? Where's the tickets ? Step out into the open, vibrate some air waves, excite an audience... kylen ps I've got commercial CDs too, if you want to compete with it though you gotta price stuff reasonably ($15). That's part of my collection criteria...

I think she's a frustrated artist. Who here can't relate to that? You bust ass trying to create good music and then you see Britney Spears handed title after title, giant check after giant check -completely oblivious to ANYTHING going on around her, or even her own shelf life-, and all because she's can dance, carry a tune, and has big tits and a nice smile! Then you see people like Aimee Mann make great albums that get completely ignored. It sucks! I can understand that! We all want to set ourselves apart from the hollow Pop crowd, yet we desire success and recognition for our work. Some people get frustrated and quit. Some others choose to validate their own work by trying to show that it has something MORE than the standard pop crap, and therefore should hold higher value. In other words; one could live comfortably as an artist, not through saturating the market with fad driven music, but by simply selling fewer recordings at higher prices. It's like fine wine versus the cheap stuff... Everybody has had the cheap stuff. Why pay more for the fine wine? They're both wine aren't they? But one is special, and that is what sets it apart, and that is what justifies the higher cost. So Marissa basically says; we do this with paintings, sculptures, wine, cigars, steaks, and so forth. Why is it that the best music costs the same as the worst music? Isn't 'Dark Side of the Moon' worth more than 'Oops, I Did it Again'?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]So Marissa basically says; we do this with paintings, sculptures, wine, cigars, steaks, and so forth. Why is it that the best music costs the same as the worst music? Isn't 'Dark Side of the Moon' worth more than 'Oops, I Did it Again'?[/b][/quote]Ya' know, maybe she was saying this and I just couldn't see it. That is such a wonderful question... One that never occured to me. I must ponder this thought... P.S. No sarcasm intended.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Who gives a fuck about this idiot? Say I. That's what I thought. It's called we're sick of reading the same post, over and over and over.... She's frustrated? Wa! Life is frustrating. Maybe if she wasn't trying to sell CD's for $100, she wouldn't be frustrated! Duh! And you're talking to her like she's capable of a conversation! WTF?! :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]So Marissa basically says; we do this with paintings, sculptures, wine, cigars, steaks, and so forth. Why is it that the best music costs the same as the worst music? Isn't 'Dark Side of the Moon' worth more than 'Oops, I Did it Again'?[/b][/quote]Ya' know, maybe she was saying this and I just couldn't see it. That is such a wonderful question... One that never occured to me. I must ponder this thought... P.S. No sarcasm intended.[/b][/quote]Price is determined by supply and demand, not inherent artistic value, which is not quantifiable. Go ask a ten-year-old girl what she likes better: Pink Floyd or Britney. The record companies can print as many CDs as the public demands, all with the exact same sound quality. The supply can always be made to meet demand. You can't make an unlimited number of rare paintings, or quality wine. If there were ten billion bottles of the best wine ever made, then it would be virtually free. As it stands, great wine is difficult to make, and can only be made in small quantities; hence, demand highly exceeds supply. The only time the price of a CD goes down (in theory) is when the record company prints too many of them, and is trying to get rid of them. When supply exceeds demand. The only time the price of a recording goes up drastically is when it's a rare or limited edition.

The Marissa Merchant member of these forums can't be real...Under these circumstances (and hopefully, never) she wouldn't possibly be so stupid as to write this in the "from" field: A musical stratosphere you could not comprehend . The two people are probably the same, or there is a forum member here who thinks posing as Marissa is funny. Super 8: You're right. That is what she is saying. I didn't agree with it though, because of reasons posted by someone else recently. This thing is starting to get pretty crazy. I'm not surprised though. I mean, seriously, selling CD's for $100 is crazy. Period. There's simply no denying that.

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Are either of these people over the age of 18? Just a question. They have a strong whiff of teenage melodrama to their posts.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived