Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chris Poland videos

Matt Blackett

Matt Blackett

Associate Editor

Guitar Player Magazine

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very cool player, and great technique, phrasing, expression, good musicianship... I have two of Ohm's releases and to be honest they're the rock releases of late I've enjoyed the most. Also, I prefer them to any Joe Satriani, Steve Vai album I've ever heard.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I learned a BIT of his usage of ninth double-stops from their 1st cd; very cool effect, trippy sounding w/ overdrive! His other ones are awesome too! I'll need to chekc that vid w/ more time later on.

My MySpace Space

awesome Matt. i have been waiting for you guys to do a feature on Chris and his Yamaha SG guitars.

Very cool player, and great technique, phrasing, expression, good musicianship.

+1 Nice! I like his vibrato.

I saw Ohm open for Eric Johnson about 8 years ago. At the time I did not know he played guitar in it. They were great.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

First of all, thank you for a most insightful series, and this is what really makes this site stand out above the rest

However;

The interviewer missed what makes up 90% (at least) of Polands technique:

The way he holds the pick and picks

This is the method pioneered by George Benson and is also used by Jimmy Herring and the late Shawn Lane

I have been picking like that for nearly 2 years and it has had tremendous effects on my tone and clean picking speed and I Pop CONSIDERABLY less strings when PLAYING LIVE. In fact, I only change strings every SEVERAL gigs out of fear of popping them, even though I might not have to.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but that was a huge oversight by GP

It is that picking technique which will get someone alot farther than bends, vibrato, double stops, and ring modulation !

P.S. Only 74 views , and this thread has been up a while ???

I would post this on the gear page, you will get some heavy traffic from there

Hey, MILLO and yZe-

Do me a favor, and post new threads of your own about Poland's "use of 9th double-stops" and this "Benson/Herring/Lane/Poland picking technique", respectively... wouldja, please? :thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, MILLO and yZe-

Do me a favor, and post new threads of your own about Poland's "use of 9th double-stops" and this "Benson/Herring/Lane/Poland picking technique", respectively... wouldja, please? :thu::cool:

Regarding the picking technique, Tuck Andress has a wonderful treatise on picking that covers the Benson technique. Read this article (I recommend reading the whole page) for great insight on different picking styles and the mechanics behind them.

Hey, MILLO and yZe-

Regarding the picking technique, Tuck Andress has a wonderful treatise on picking that covers the Benson technique. Read this article (I recommend reading the whole page) for great insight on different picking styles and the mechanics behind them.

Thanks, Rhino! Will do! (Tuck Andress is so fr!gg!n' great it's ridiculous!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, MILLO and yZe-

wow thanks for this link! Tuck just told me I was WRONG! ;)

My MySpace Space

Hey, MILLO and yZe-

Not a science, just double-stops.... I haven't paid that much attention to the other ones he discusses... essentially play a short melodic motive, then play it again harmonized w/ a major 9th... For example: play a D on the 5th string along with an E on the second. W/ overdrive it's a very interesting sound.

The picking technique requires far more discussion!

My MySpace Space

Fascinating stuff

Chris Poland is someone who I was unfamiliar with before joining this forum, I definitely owe a vote of thanks for that.

Overall I`m reasonably happy with my picking style-more than the amount of time I practice it, that`s for sure..

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived