Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, parade on Wednesday?

I'm going. Bringing the camcorder. :thu:

Man, I'm slammed with work right now, but I really want to go.

Where are you planning on being? Near Staples?

I'm still trying to decide. The parade starts at Staples at 11am and there would be a lot of great video to get there, but the "official presentation" happens at the coliseum at noon and they're letting in the first 95,000 people. I have a feeling the people who live nearest the parade route and especially the coliseum will grab those 95,000 spots.

What do you think?

Lakers Championship Celebration

The parade to salute the 2009 NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers will take place this Wednesday, June 17th. The parade will begin at STAPLES Center and travel south on Figueroa Street to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum where a victory celebration will take place in front of an expected capacity crowd of 95,000 Lakers fans.

Beginning at 11:00 AM, double-decker busses carrying the players, coaching staff, Lakers executives and City officials will depart from STAPLES Center at Figueroa and Chick Hearn Ct. and travel a nearly two mile parade route along Figueroa to the Coliseum where the "official" championship ceremony will take place beginning at noon.

All Lakers fans are invited to stand along Figueroa to cheer the Lakers players having just won the fifteenth NBA Championship in the franchise's history. The first 95,000 fans to arrive at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum will be invited inside to attend a ceremony during which City and team officials, Coach Phil Jackson and several players will address the crowd. Coliseum gates will open beginning at 9:30 AM for early arriving fans who will be able to watch the parade on giant video screens in addition to being entertained by the Laker Girls and other special guests.

Please be aware of the following street closures planned for Wednesday, June 17th. Figueroa will be closed from Olympic to Exposition Park from 8am-12pm. Chick Hearn Court will be closed from 9am-4pm. Cherry will be closed from Pico to Olympic from 9am-2pm. In addition, the Exposition Blvd, Martin Luther King Blvd, Adams and Olympic exits from the 110 freeway will be closed from 10am until the end of the parade.

Do you think they'll give rings to Chris Wallace and/or Jerry West for gifting Pau Gasol?

Maybe. Did they give a ring to McHale last year?

Not publicly....

Uh - the Wolves got Al Jefferson (a stud in the making) and several draft picks.

What did Memphis get again? (Other than expiring contracts...)

Uh - the Wolves got Al Jefferson (a stud in the making) and several draft picks.

What did Memphis get again? (Other than expiring contracts...)

Uh - A former #1 draft pick... hello...

...and Pao Gasol's bigger, badder, brother Marc.

No one made Memphis do it, but let's get serious here...

There's no comparison between the Garnet and Gasol trades. No comparison. The Celtics traded away the meat and bone of a young and iffy future on a win-now gambit. It worked. The Lakers were gifted by providence. That worked even better.

For the T'Wolves, the trade made basketball sense--they had Been there/Tried that with the Garnet/Sprewell/Cassell thing, and it didn't work. Close but no cigar.

For Memphis, there was no tenable reason for trading Pau. None He's still young! He's the perfect build-around kind of cat, maybe not worth max dollars, but closer to it than Arenas or Michael Redd, I'll tell you, who are paid like Dwayne Wade.

Right now, Memphis could be getting excited about a future of Pau with OJ Mayo.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I have a feeling the people who live nearest the parade route and especially the coliseum will grab those 95,000 spots.

What do you think?

I think you're right. I also think trying to park near there (for those of us who don't have the, uh, luxury of living near the Coliseum) will be a complete joke.

Hey...

You know what stat I'd love to see? While we all know Kobe had great numbers throughout the Finals, they were comparable to quite a few other great players' performances over the years. HOWEVER: I can't remember a superstar (or anyone) being so successful on so many contested shots. Can someone dig up a stat on Kobe's shooting percentage during the Finals while someone had a hand in his face, being double-teamed and so on?

That would be interesting. I think the Magic (Jameer Nelson excepted) played great D for much of the Finals, which even further illustrates what Kobe did.

I actually got offered a free-lance job from a paper back east to take photos of the parade. However, I wasn't granted a press pass and it didn't pay that great, so I turned it down.

Also, I'd have to take two days off work since I'm fortunate enough to be able to photograph Jimmy Page at a press conference this Friday.

Something I found fun in both the Denver and Orlando series against the Lakers was when the announcers would note someone defending Kobe well, and mention how they were playing him like Shane Battier did. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

p.s. Where's Grifdo?

Still hung over from all-night celebrating, no doubt.

Absolutely.

We've had company over for the last three days. I didn't even watch the game. No point.

Are you a basketball fan? oh wait, right, you're a Celtics fan.

Like I said, we had company, so I didn't have time. I checked the score on Sportsline, saw it was +12 Lakers at the half, and went back to entertaining.

Like I said, we had company, so I didn't have time. I checked the score on Sportsline, saw it was +12 Lakers at the half, and went back to entertaining.

Well, I DVR'd it, so if you like I'll burn you a disk of the game. If you're not in a huge rush, and can wait an extra day, I'll splice in some victory parade footage as well. :thu:

Well, I DVR'd it, so if you like I'll burn you a disk of the game. If you're not in a huge rush, and can wait an extra day, I'll splice in some victory parade footage as well. :thu:

Nah. My DVR picked up every game of the playoffs. If I get around to it, I might watch.

Nah. My DVR picked up every game of the playoffs. If I get around to it, I might watch.

I'm confident that it's the kind of basketball you love. Inspired performances, good share-the-ball basketball, great performances by one of the greatest to ever play the game, tough interior D, and a dogged determination to win it all.

I'm confident that it's the kind of basketball you love. Inspired performances, good share-the-ball basketball, great performances by one of the greatest to ever play the game, tough interior D, and a dogged determination to win it all.

Yeah, but how did the Lakers play? :D

Yeah, but how did the Lakers play? :D

:D

Yeah, there were kinda okay too!!!!!

Isn't that you?
steadyb's my waitress?
Apparently so.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived