Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Orlando proved they can play with anyone but lack the consistency of focus and, really, lack a reliable, coherent half court offense. Even if they had won 2 or 4, Lakers would have exerted themselves in the end.

As for who's up and coming in the West to challenge the Lakers...

Can Joe's Rockets get healthy for a full season? If so...a team that took the Lakers seven without their two superstars should be able to do a little better with them. They've got a great coach there. They've got a cast of hard nosed role players that is positively Spurs-like.

Can NO get back on track? They could become a legit contender in a hurry, with a just of couple of lineup changes. I am not necessarily sold on David West as a second-best player, though.

Can "my" Spurs acquire another player and stay healthy for a nostalgiac run? I like to think they can.

Without knowing what sorts of trades and tweaks and improvements are gonna be made, it's difficult to know for sure.

That said, I'm sure Houston is gonna be back in the fray. Too tough and resilient to think otherwise, barring bad injuries or Artest bizarreness.

NO: I dunno....they're not deep enough, in my opinion.

Spurs: Not sure. I've learned never to count them out, but aren't they gonna be in rebuilding mode soon?

Portland: they're just gonna keep improving, I think. Really good, young, athletic team.

I wasn't sure that putting Shaq on the Suns was a good idea, but he eventually had a real renaissance in Phoenix. It happened too late to do the Suns much good, but Shaq had his best season in years -- having a career high and leading the NBA in field goal percentage, and having almost a career high in free throw percentage.

But yeah, he's not getting any younger -- this is a limited time rejuvenation.

Best,

Geoff

I wonder if Shaq wants to live in Cleveland? And would Cleveland want to acquire his contract?

Anyway, if Shaq were to go to Cleveland AND he remained healthy like last year where he played 73 games and put up anything near the career highs he had last year, he would be a noticeable improvement (although Cleveland does run a fair amount, if I recall). Ben Wallace was a liability, so he'd be a big improvement. But this would be more of a short-term thing.

At this point, as with the Coach Brown discussion, I think Cleveland is floating stuff out there in an attempt to placate fans and Lebron. And probably not in that order.

On a side note, I was going to riot last night -- roll some cars, burn some crap down -- but got tired and went to sleep instead. It's tough being a criminal when you pass 40. ;)

Yeah! I slept through it too!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I never claimed to understand the concept of rioting when your team wins.

So you don't have the impulse to flip cars over when something makes you really happy? Hmmmm....how strange. I mean, to each his own.

:thu: :thu: [font:Impact]Los Angeles Lakers WORLD CHAMPIONS!!![/font] :thu: :thu:

Discuss... :D

I think now that Kobe has four rings, he needs another one for his thumb.

Best,

Geoff

Is he gonna take care of that hand in the off-season?

If he does, he could probably wear even more rings.

I hope Phil sticks around to win 2 more, giving him "quad" 3-peats... then hand the team over to Rambis or Shaw to win 2 more. Kobe ends up with 8 rings total and a 5-peat.

I hope Phil sticks around to win 2 more, giving him "quad" 3-peats... then hand the team over to Rambis or Shaw to win 2 more. Kobe ends up with 8 rings total and a 5-peat.

It all sounds great.

Phil's physical problems, like both his hips, will end up being the deciding factor. He doesn't need to pad the 10 championships, nor would he care to.

But I have a problem with Rambis or Shaw taking over as head coach. I'm sure they've learned a LOT under Phil, but would either of them command the respect and instill the drive that Phil has done? I like both of those guys as former Lakers, but I'm not sold on the idea of either as our coach.

And I do think Kobe needs to leave room for more rings. It'll happen. :thu:

The other option for a coach would be Byron Scott.

The Lakers could win with him too, but probably not running the triangle. I think Shaw or Rambis would do great and the system in place would keep rolling.

Then there's also the possibility of Kobe winning a couple titles as player/coach, ala Bill Russell.

I think he's way more the right guy to do that than say, Jordon or Magic. Kobe could be a great coach.

Kobe could be a great coach.

Quite possibly, yes. I think with a guy like Kobe, it's all a matter of what gets him off personally, and coaching might be the one way to channel that incredibly competitive core of his soul. It's certainly a better choice for a competitive person than guys like Jordan and Barkley made, pissing away millions in gambling.

The one thing I've noticed is that when top-shelf players get into coaching, they sometimes seem frustrated by the typical baller's inability to do what he did as a player.

But I don't think we'll see "Coach Bryant" for at least 8-9 years, if it were to happen, in any case.

Here's some of Shaq's Twitter posts from last night after the game. The first one is pretty funny.

Congratualtions kobe, u deserve it. You played great . Enjoy it my man enjoy it. And I know what yur sayin rt now "Shaq how my ass taste "

Congrats to you to phil jackson. When the general doesn't panic the troops don't panic. You are the greatest now.

Congrats to u to d fish, big shots the other day. Enjoy my man enjoy

Congrats in spanish pau gasol, muchas gracias pappacito

Congrats to you to, mbengaaaaaaaa

Its nice to see the greatest big man ever on stage, smilin havin a good time. I love bill russell

"When you're together, you can withstand adversity" Kobe bryant

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I saw Shaq's tweets last night, in real time. Gotta love it.

In celebration of my team's victory, I got some new kicks, and went old school. Straight out of 1982, baby. Air Force One, the first Nike Air shoe, original low-tops...

http://klopmeyer.com/guest/nike_af1_061509.jpg

In celebration of my team's victory, I got some new kicks, and went old school. Straight out of 1982, baby. Air Force One, the first Nike Air shoe, original low-tops...

Nice kicks... :thu:

p.s. Where's Grifdo?

p.p.s. :snax:

Then there's also the possibility of Kobe winning a couple titles as player/coach, ala Bill Russell.

.... Kobe could be a great coach.

Fans. They're insufferable.

Ditka versus God.

Ditka by 3!

Ditka by 7 if it's a home game!

God if he cheats and uses angels! If not, Ditka!

I'd like to see Kobe as player coach too.

I didn't even watch the game.

Oh man, you missed a good game.

Here's what happened:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site513/2009/0615/20090615_125316_DS15-LAKERSTEAMONLINE_500.jpg

p.s. NBA TV will be replaying the game at 9 o'clock tonight, so you still have a chance to see it. :thu: Whew, talk about good luck. Plus, if you DVR it, you can watch it again whenever you want. How sweet is that?!?!

I didn't even watch the game.

Oh man, you missed a good game.

Here's what happened:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site513/2009/0615/20090615_125316_DS15-LAKERSTEAMONLINE_500.jpg

p.s. NBA TV will be replaying the game at 9 o'clock tonight, so you still have a chance to see it. :thu: Whew, talk about good luck. Plus, if you DVR it, you can watch it again whenever you want. How sweet is that?!?!

Depends. Did anyone from LA get hurt? Maybe a good hard foul? Knock a tooth out or something? That, I'd watch. :D

(I kid, I kid. I hate the Lakers, but not enough to wish harm on anyone... :) )

I almost didn't watch the game also. Meltdowns like game 4 are deflating to the disinterested fan. A potentially very good series went up in smoke when Howard missed both free throws at the end of regulation.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I dunno, to me any Finals game is worth watching, the Magic did have a chance to come back in the series, there's always a chance of an upset. I even watched the 2003 Spurs/Nets games.

Even with the Magic losing game 5 there was still a lot of great basketball being played. IMO

Archived