Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

To me, the big difference between this version of the Lakers and the O'Neal Lakers was hustle, determination, and consistency. The O'Neal team was not lacking ego in any way, but they knew how to play together and they were hungry and hustled and played defense.

To me, the differences were:

1. O'Neal

2. O'Neal

3. A weaker NBA, and a ref's assist when they finally did meet a better team

4. A collection of loathsome but effective role players (Fox, Horry, a younger Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, etc.) who weren't afraid to play dirty and hit big shots.

5. O'Neal.

As Steady has said many times, Shaq quit on the Lakers when the fued with Kobe really started to heat up, but in those two legitimate championship seasons, he was one of the five or six best centers ever, which is kind of hard to replace.

Yeah, really hard to replace. And I *strongly* agree with your point about the role players, which I felt were tougher defensively and much more savvy than the role players for the Lakers are now. I think that, given some bizarre Star Trek-type time travel scenario, the old Shaq-Kobe Lakers would destroy the new Pau-Kobe Lakers.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, the big difference between this version of the Lakers and the O'Neal Lakers was hustle, determination, and consistency. The O'Neal team was not lacking ego in any way, but they knew how to play together and they were hungry and hustled and played defense.

To me, the differences were:

1. O'Neal

2. O'Neal

3. A weaker NBA, and a ref's assist when they finally did meet a better team

4. A collection of loathsome but effective role players (Fox, Horry, a younger Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, etc.) who weren't afraid to play dirty and hit big shots.

5. O'Neal.

As Steady has said many times, Shaq quit on the Lakers when the fued with Kobe really started to heat up, but in those two legitimate championship seasons, he was one of the five or six best centers ever, which is kind of hard to replace.

Yeah, really hard to replace. And I *strongly* agree with your point about the role players, which I felt were tougher defensively and much more savvy than the role players for the Lakers are now. I think that, given some bizarre Star Trek-type time travel scenario, the old Shaq-Kobe Lakers would destroy the new Pau-Kobe Lakers.

I agree. Look, there is no doubt that Kobe has matured. He's a much better leader now an every bit the extraordinary solo performer he's always been, but, damn, back when Shaq was Shaq, THERE WAS NO ANSWER. Double-team, triple-team, then you've Kobe at the hoop all day long or Fisher, Shaw and Fox knocking down wide open threes. It was hellfire either way.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

The difference was, that Laker team (2000-2002) bench was loaded with veteran experience. These Lakers are one of the youngest teams in the league. They're learning on the job, they'll be fine.

Yeah, the Lakers are really young and inexperienced,contrary to Jackson's preference for savvy veteran players.

Looks like every game in the Cavs-Magic series is going down to the wire.

Stern, er, James will have to pull out every trick in the book to take this one seven games.

Maybe the league wants a different championship. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I caught the last 39 seconds of OT. Wow. Going down to the wire. James is really incredible with those last-second threes, but he didn't nail the very last one, which would have been beyond miraculous, beyond the miracle shot from (I believe) Game 2.

Was most of the game closely contested?

And do you realize that Cleveland was literally one last-second miracle shot away from being SWEPT????????? As it is, I doubt many people would have predicted that they would have been down 1-3 in the series, but they were a gnat hair away from being swept!!!!

Looks like every game in the Cavs-Magic series is going down to the wire.

Stern, er, James will have to pull out every trick in the book to take this one seven games.

Maybe the league wants a different championship. :laugh::cool:

Or maybe there's actually no over-arching conspiracy, and the refs are simply grossly incompetent.

And do you realize that Cleveland was literally one last-second miracle shot away from being SWEPT????????? As it is, I doubt many people would have predicted that they would have been down 1-3 in the series, but they were a gnat hair away from being swept!!!!

I'm serious. Were it not for that LeBron 3, the Magic would be riding a six-game winning streak into the finals. I keep banging away on this point, but there was a real team-wide breakthrough when Howard and SVG had that spat.

Earlier today I was going to mention the Cavs being this close to falling under the broom.

The next 2 games are in Cleveland. I'm not convinced that Orlando can steal one.

While the Magic are up 3-1, it doesn't seem like the Cavs are down on the canvas or getting pummeled along the ropes. Not yet. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

While the Magic are up 3-1, it doesn't seem like the Cavs are down on the canvas or getting pummeled along the ropes. Not yet. :cool:

You're watching a different series. Outmanned and outcoached.

Yep. The Magic are presenting enormous matchup problems for the Cavs. When you have three 6'11"s on the floor at any given moment in the game, and at least one of them can shoot the three consistently (depending on who's resting at the time), you're going to cause people matchup problems.

I had mentioned before the playoffs, although I don't believe it was on this forum, that I felt that the Lakers matched up better with Cleveland, not so much with Orlando. At any rate, I'm not so concerned with Orlando; there's still Denver to consider!!! :D

Game 5 today for the Lakers. I believe Lakers will take Game 5. If they don't, they're in deep you-know-what. And if they're smart, they'll take advantage of the mismatches and give the ball to Bynum and Gasol, who were something like 14-17 or 14-18 (combined) during Game 4. It's not rocket science. Fisher, Vujacic, Brown et al would do better to get the ball in to Gasol or Bynum instead of shooting 0-48 or whatever their horrible averages are.

I'll be shocked if the Lakers don't bounce back in a big way tonight.

Everyone in the country that watches basketball will be pretty shocked as well if that happens.

dB

Go Denver! Shock me!

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I'll be shocked if the Lakers don't bounce back in a big way tonight.

Everyone in the country that watches basketball will be pretty shocked as well if that happens.

dB

Agreed. I am hoping to be shocked.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Archived